Will the Acrylic Shield on a Black Box Filer UV (Sub 400)?

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R.

I have 395 and 365 LEDs (3W Epistar "Egg" type) on some of my Black Boxes (Lightmetunnel WiFi). Are these accomplishing anything with the Acrylic Shield in place, or does all the UVA get filtered out?

If they aren't helping, I'll swap them for something more beneficial.

I saw some forums regarding these topics with posts from @oreo5457 (call out to Oreo for helping me in the past!), but I don't know if there was ever a clear answer.

As always, thank you, R2R.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Acrylic Shield a product brand name? Do they say it blocks UV? Or do you just have a piece of ordinary acrylic in place?

OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the Acrylic Shield a product brand name? Do they say it blocks UV? Or do you just have a piece of ordinary acrylic in place?
Thank you for replying back. It doesn't have a brand or anything associated. Probably something cheap, since it's a black box.

Looks like it's a regular piece of acrylic or plexiglass. There to stop the water from entering the electronics.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every black box I've ever owned had a glass shield, not plexiglass. Are you sure its not glass? I believe they have quite different absorbance of UV.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many lights on the market use optical grade polycarbonate shields without problem. If you are unsure of what your shield is made of, you can probably replace it with a thin sheet of polycarbonate cut to the same size.

Last edited:

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for replying back. It doesn't have a brand or anything associated. Probably something cheap, since it's a black box.

Looks like it's a regular piece of acrylic or plexiglass. There to stop the water from entering the electronics.

most plastics start their cutoff before glass..
UV-LightTransmission.jpg

same w/ polycarbonate..
thickness matters as well
main-qimg-6da818e343564c143a1e0f27fbb81193

365's, unless by some Chinese miracle, would probably not be very effective...even normal glass wouldn't be great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

@EMeyer
It's definitely a "plastic" material, maybe it a cheaper type then most others (sigh)?

@Spieg
If I can find something that allows transmittance of the UVA (for a reasonable cost), I'll certainly replace what came stock.

@oreo5457
Thank you for sending that. Looks like a probably have a good shot of the 395 getting through, but almost none on the 365. I'll pull those out of the fixture, no reason to have them if they are being filtered and running without shield feels too risky.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, everyone, for your replies.

@EMeyer
It's definitely a "plastic" material, maybe it a cheaper type then most others (sigh)?

@Spieg
If I can find something that allows transmittance of the UVA (for a reasonable cost), I'll certainly replace what came stock.

@oreo5457
Thank you for sending that. Looks like a probably have a good shot of the 395 getting through, but almost none on the 365. I'll pull those out of the fixture, no reason to have them if they are being filtered and running without shield feels too risky.

Well the "MC" is normal plexiglass and not too bad..You might get 10-15% out..
Obvious problem is what is it exactly and what its real absorption is.
"G" is cell cast.

Glass
Borofloat-vs-soda-glass_transmission.gif

Actually the lenses are probably more of an issue than the splash guard I believe.
Little black dip is about at 350nm. PMMA = Acrylic. Seen charts w/ better response at the UV though)
PET is polyethylene.

Transmission-spectra-of-PMMA-PET-CL400-substrates-and-Su8-waveguide-layers.png

Removing the lenses (going 120 not 90 degree ) and replacing the splash guard w/ plate glass makes it doable AND without question (well as long as it isn't UV blocking treated glass ;)

Too many unknowns for a really solid answer on the plastics involved.
Theatrus here did a lot of real life measurements of real materials.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RevMH

RevMH

Happy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the "MC" is normal plexiglass and not too bad..You might get 10-15% out..
Obvious problem is what is it exactly and what its real absorption is.
"G" is cell cast.

Glass
Borofloat-vs-soda-glass_transmission.gif

Actually the lenses are probably more of an issue than the splash guard I believe.
Little black dip is about at 350nm. PMMA = Acrylic. Seen charts w/ better response at the UV though)
PET is polyethylene.

Transmission-spectra-of-PMMA-PET-CL400-substrates-and-Su8-waveguide-layers.png

Removing the lenses (going 120 not 90 degree ) and replacing the splash guard w/ plate glass makes it doable AND without question (well as long as it isn't UV blocking treated glass ;)

Too many unknowns for a really solid answer on the plastics involved.
Theatrus here did a lot of real life measurements of real materials.
Thank you very much.
I removed the lenses, already, but I'll look into replacing with plate glass. I appreciate the help and all the diagrams. Your helping of other people gave me a lot to research before posting a question!

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back