Will the real hallucination please stand up

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I had to say it.

So these two zoas are both regarded as hallucination zoas, both sold as such, and nobody complains when they get one or the other..

Right now I have both. They are very clearly different zoas.

These are not my pictures my camera can't shoot this level of detail but here's the comparison.

Let me know what you guys think!

66eb49a5c09a32aa363254c76d62402d.jpg
274306722daad20d8db26a4a43cb1f09.jpg

Last edited:

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top one is what I think of when I hear Hallucination zoa, if I got the bottom after ordering the top, I would be very upset haha

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like the fake utter chaos that go around. I got dupped recently with the fake utters. I will be careful with these too lol thanks for the heads up

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, but which one is fake in your opinion? I see them both sell all the time with no issues as hallucinations. And they're both nice zoas.

It's like the fake utter chaos that go around. I got dupped recently with the fake utters. I will be careful with these too lol thanks for the heads up

Last edited:

Davy Jones

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either look nice to me, but I do prefer the top photo with the longer, more "frilly" skirts

rlman41299

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know both are hallucinations. The first one is a mature polyp while the mini colony is not mature yet. When I had my hallucinations all babies that have newly grown looks like the cluster and most mature polyps looks different. also lighting will play a part of it.

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I know both are hallucinations. The first one is a mature polyp while the mini colony is not mature yet. When I had my hallucinations all babies that have newly grown looks like the cluster and most mature polyps looks different. also lighting will play a part of it.

Utter Chaos will look different based on lighting as well. I kept a colony under 60 par for a long time and it was a predominant orange (70%) with black splashing. Now I have that exact same colony under a lighting system which peaks at 135 par and the coloration has almost completely reversed on the exact same polyps.

However, I don't think all zoas and palys would do such a thing but I wouldn't surprised if this is what those hallucinations are doing.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I think calling one "real" is a slippery slope.... especially when we're talking about zoas in so far as their physical appearance. (For further proof just take a look at any of the dozen 'ID' threads before or after this one). Traditionally, I'm gonna think of the first pic as being the ideal hall captured in a perfect picture. The second pic is still a slightly better pic than average of what I'd expect it to look like in real life. We all know that skirt size, color, speckling, intensity etc are all dependent on water parameters and vary considerably aquarium to aquarium (also, camera, editing, etc). That you have two slightly different morphs is not surprising. I believe they are both real halls. Is one more real than the other? I don't believe so. Perhaps one is rarer and more desirable because it displays better. Out of curiosity did they come from the same place or separate growers?

IMG_0104.JPG

I'm say mine are of the second variety.

OP
OP
Rakie

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MyReefRobbedMe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty clear that the top pic was better camera , probably using a blue flashlight to intense the colors for the pic and or some type of software to make the colors pop more , I wouldn’t call em fake as zoas differ even in the same tank let alone tank to tank

Jdeleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO they both could be even off the same strain, just history of how they been handled while growing. Me and a friend have same strain of zoas of several different ones and can tell the difference some better some worse in each tank

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, I had to say it.

So these two zoas are both regarded as hallucination zoas, both sold as such, and nobody complains when they get one or the other..

Right now I have both. They are very clearly different zoas.

These are not my pictures my camera can't shoot this level of detail but here's the comparison.

Let me know what you guys think!

66eb49a5c09a32aa363254c76d62402d.jpg
274306722daad20d8db26a4a43cb1f09.jpg

It's the same zoanthid. Just different adaptations to higher vs lower. I've had hallucinations since last November. Originally, they looked like the ones below. I had them almost at the water surface under coralplus/ halides . Fast forward 4 months, halide burnt out, and t5 bulb was removed for a month or two..then they began to show patterns. Heck, I have a frag that displays both adaptations.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back