Will the real hallucination please stand up

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall Hallucinations are overpriced and overrated. Especially since most people cant seem to keep them very long.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I had to say it.

So these two zoas are both regarded as hallucination zoas, both sold as such, and nobody complains when they get one or the other..

Right now I have both. They are very clearly different zoas.

These are not my pictures my camera can't shoot this level of detail but here's the comparison.

Let me know what you guys think!

66eb49a5c09a32aa363254c76d62402d.jpg
274306722daad20d8db26a4a43cb1f09.jpg

I do not think they are 'clearly different zoas'. They could be morphs of the same zoa. There are only minor differences. And FWIW - who cares.. There is no such animal as an'hallucination zoa'. it's a manufactured name. So I would humbly suggest they are both hallucination zoas. And so might something with completely different coloration.

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In the end, they're a nice zoanthid in general.
Also, I don't understand why people seem to have trouble with this particular type of zoa. Mine have always been open, super healthy, grown well and never given me any trouble.
Guess I'm just lucky! ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need to get to 25 meaningful posts before I can help people get some of my strain of Halls ;)

My guess is that very few people if any have any idea what this means?

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not think they are 'clearly different zoas'. They could be morphs of the same zoa. There are only minor differences. And FWIW - who cares.. There is no such animal as an'hallucination zoa'. it's a manufactured name. So I would humbly suggest they are both hallucination zoas. And so might something with completely different coloration.

Good point, I think we all forget that there is 0 validity to the names we assign things once we step outside of scientific literature. I often wonder what it would be like if we used a system like C-numbers or L-numbers in catfish (for those unfamiliar with such system the simple version is each distinct species is assigned a number until given a proper latin name). The issue with implementing such a system on zoas is that we have no idea how many of these are different species or just ludicrous examples of polymorphism and thats before you factor in how they change under different lighting systems or water parameters. I suppose one could describe the taxonomic nature of palythoas and zoanthids is indeed Utter Chaos;Hilarious

Everything we know about zoanthids is a hallucination in and of itself...

You take the AOI, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the twizzler, you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes... 1001100100011011001010010ZOANTHIDS100101100110101010

Hopefully someone enjoys that, I think all the zoas pictured thus far are stunners!

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, I think we all forget that there is 0 validity to the names we assign things once we step outside of scientific literature. I often wonder what it would be like if we used a system like C-numbers or L-numbers in catfish (for those unfamiliar with such system the simple version is each distinct species is assigned a number until given a proper latin name). The issue with implementing such a system on zoas is that we have no idea how many of these are different species or just ludicrous examples of polymorphism and thats before you factor in how they change under different lighting systems or water parameters. I suppose one could describe the taxonomic nature of palythoas and zoanthids is indeed Utter Chaos;Hilarious

Everything we know about zoanthids is a hallucination in and of itself...

You take the AOI, the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the twizzler, you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes... 1001100100011011001010010ZOANTHIDS100101100110101010

Hopefully someone enjoys that, I think all the zoas pictured thus far are stunners!
precisely. Someone above said something about fake utter chaos as if there is such a thing. Utter chaos are probably the zoa most prone to morphing and unpredictability imo

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take these. They where sold as utters, I have seen different and others had said they are not “real”. Either way I did not pay much and I love the orange, they make the bam bams I have look almost burnt sienna color. Life changes and adapts so much it’s almost impossible to have anything look the same in two different tanks. I say enjoy it and screw the peanut gallery!
IMG_3783.JPG

ReeferB28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had this one clown say he had , " Ultra Rastas" a few years back. I did a little research, and cut up my frag, put one frag under my lights directly, the other off to the side. A few weeks later, and I had ultra rastas. lol

pjgazmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the same zoa, i wont be even surprise if one day it will morph to the look of a Rasta [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And FWIW - who cares.. There is no such animal as an'hallucination zoa'. it's a manufactured name.
This. Hundreds of wild collected zoa colonies are brought in to the US every week. When one of them looks like an existing "named" variety, it gets named and sold as such.

As a result, many zoas that appear similar are not genetically the same. And because of the already-discussed effects of environment on appearance, many zoas that look different are actually the same.

People want to treat zoa names like pedigreed dog breeds, when in reality they are simply descriptions. If I show you two mixed breed dogs with pointy ears and black fur, would you assume they are clones of each other? That is the logical fallacy made every day in "zoa ID threads".

Also - those are beautiful zoas and I'd love to buy a few polyps! :)

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Extremely slow growth but absolutely stunning in person.

A63E5D4C-CE09-4A6A-84D7-37794CDA623F.jpeg EF499B3E-58F4-42E2-9BF2-CA42737B5958.jpeg
Dang it! The coral expo is tomorrow and there ya go posting expensive zoas! Last year somebody had a single head for 85.00.

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First picture looks like a higher quality frag. I can see the specs on some in the second, but defiantly not the same quality.

Aktric1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First picture looks like a higher quality frag. I can see the specs on some in the second, but defiantly not the same quality.

It’s the same frag and I’m shooting with an iPhone. Highly defined specs

2BE086D9-1FDD-4AA8-BF31-E4C64DEA180F.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back