Winter Springs Reefer 250

Grisby_2133

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 20, 2017
Messages
12
Reaction score
6
Location
Orlando, FL
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! We've been reefing for a long time (over a decade) and slowly over the years invested a tiny bit. Good things take time, after all.

About a year ago our old (rather small, I think 37 gal?) tank cracked the top support brace, so we decided to get a Reefer 250 rather than just ditch the hobby altogether.

We got the tank from a LFS (Top Shelf Aquatics) and ordered an Apex, a DOS, and an AP700. (And other misc. parts)

We couldn't go with anything larger because this is the space it had to fit in:
image.jpg


Here's a close-up. Almost everything is just what was left on rocks after the move, because right after setting it up I got a new job that consumed all my time and energy!
image.jpg
 
Thanks!

One thing I really enjoy is setting up everything for efficient use long-term.

Here's my sump:
image.jpg


I found this awesome cable management setup on Amazon that consists of self-adhesive holders for mini zip-ties. They will stick forever, but a pair of scissors will easily free your cables, and a really good pry with a putty knife will remove them forever if you want to completely move stuff around!
image.jpg


I live in Florida, but I've managed to avoid a chiller by strategically installing a cooling fan in the sump. If the A/C fails, though, I need to leave the cabinet doors open and add additional fans.
image.jpg


For top-off I left the stock tank, but added a few floats and an aqua-lifter controlled by the Apex. It draws from a 12-gal Rubbermaid behind the couch. (Probably couldn't have done this when the kids were little...). It works really well. Aqua-lifter is kind of underpowered, takes about an hour to fill that little tank, but no priming needed or anything! (I just had it lying around anyway.)
image.jpg


I love the tank! I love the Apex, and I love the AP700, too, despite wifi problems. (Every few months it may go wonky, then need to re-initialize, re-connect, an revert its programming.)
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new