Wrangy's Reef Dungeon (Waterbox 170)

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 438: Food is running scarce and their is fighting over water rations, this bacteria bloom seems to have no end and it's driving our fearless leader into insanity. We can hear him quietly muttering to himself at night and yesterday I think I caught him talking to the bacteria but I'm too afraid to say anything... I fear these may be our final days, lost in this cloud.

LOL....
Patience, you'll beat it. UV would make things quicker, but you can beat it with bacteria as well. Do you guys have MicroBacter Clean available in your part of the world?

And Earmuff Wrasses were not on your stock list, but I see one in the tank.
Did it just materialize from the bacteria dosing, or what?

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....
Patience, you'll beat it. UV would make things quicker, but you can beat it with bacteria as well. Do you guys have MicroBacter Clean available in your part of the world?

Microbacter clean is in stock. patience however, is running out of stock! ;Hilarious

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still waiting out the bloom and hoping I can beat it but I'm starting to like the idea of a UV to clean it up a little quicker haha

You have an expensive enough fish list that a properly sized one for disease mitigation probably would be a worthy investment. Just crank the flow to kill the bacterial bloom and then reduce the flow for normal use.

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 438: Food is running scarce and there is fighting over water rations, this bacteria bloom seems to have no end and it's driving our fearless leader into insanity. We can hear him quietly muttering to himself at night and yesterday I think I caught him talking to the bacteria but I'm too afraid to say anything... I fear these may be our final days, lost in this cloud.
Is there a Post of the year thread or similar?
If there is I vote 1 this, k kool thanks bye.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 438: Food is running scarce and there is fighting over water rations, this bacteria bloom seems to have no end and it's driving our fearless leader into insanity. We can hear him quietly muttering to himself at night and yesterday I think I caught him talking to the bacteria but I'm too afraid to say anything... I fear these may be our final days, lost in this cloud.

Oh boy, it is in the cloud... it has gone digital!!!
I am switching off R2R

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL....

Patience has worn out in just waiting it to right itself so I'll be getting a UV just to knock it on its head and get it cleared up and sorted sooner. We do have microbacter too.

And I'm sure I've had one on the list at some stage haha yes, she's new though and I couldn't have a tank without one :) One of my favourite fish!

Microbacter clean is in stock. patience however, is running out of stock! ;Hilarious
We're having a clearance sale on patience and everything must go!!

You have an expensive enough fish list that a properly sized one for disease mitigation probably would be a worthy investment. Just crank the flow to kill the bacterial bloom and then reduce the flow for normal use.
I'm strongly considering it at this stage :) I am currently looking at the Jebao 36w steriliser :)

Oh boy, it is in the cloud... it has gone digital!!!
I am switching off R2R
hahahahahaha I love it

how goes it? Any less foggy?
Absolutely zero change which is why I'm giving in and getting a UV haha fish are still fine though :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally bit the bullet, just wait till you see the tank picture and how bad it is tomorrow... lol

20200307_224352.jpg

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty haha so here's the more in-depth update on the tank! Needless to say the UV has started working it's magic but it's going to be a few days before I get any real clarity in the water due to the sheer volume of bloom! I ended up getting a 36w steriliser and I've got it T'd off the return line being feed by the return pump which seems to be working well. I haven't done any flow measurements yet though haha.

For the moment everything is mounted and set up in a semi-temporary fashion as you can see but it's working well.
20200307_145836.jpg

20200307_145831.jpg

(and yes I know it's not a great idea having run around the power board but it's what happens when you haven't got much space haha I've thoroughly leak tested though)

In terms of the difference it's making, it's been great so far! In less than a day it's taken all the yellowing out of the water and it's a lot clearer already (pics don't show that as well though) but here's a before and 24hrs in!
20200307_150655.jpg

20200308_123033.jpg

We've still got a long path the travel but it's improving so I'm more than happy :D

I predict sparkling clear water in 48 hours ;)
Maybe a little longer haha it's pretty bad as you can see but it's definitely working!

Hi Dom,
Wow a lot of catching up to do :)
I have had these blooms, and usually for me, I prefer to skim wet, and run active carbon. Keep in mind, bacteria will eventually settle out. Do you plan to continue UV after bloom?
Cheers
Heya Perry :)
I've been skimming wet, running plenty of carbon and dosing some beneficial bacteria but that was having no impact due to the sheer volume so it was time I brought in the big guns haha
Not sure if I'll continue it or not, once I've got it cleared up and I don't have to worry about the bloom I'm going to put some thought into whether I do or not :)

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty haha so here's the more in-depth update on the tank! Needless to say the UV has started working it's magic but it's going to be a few days before I get any real clarity in the water due to the sheer volume of bloom! I ended up getting a 36w steriliser and I've got it T'd off the return line being feed by the return pump which seems to be working well. I haven't done any flow measurements yet though haha.

For the moment everything is mounted and set up in a semi-temporary fashion as you can see but it's working well.
20200307_145836.jpg

20200307_145831.jpg

(and yes I know it's not a great idea having run around the power board but it's what happens when you haven't got much space haha I've thoroughly leak tested though)

In terms of the difference it's making, it's been great so far! In less than a day it's taken all the yellowing out of the water and it's a lot clearer already (pics don't show that as well though) but here's a before and 24hrs in!
20200307_150655.jpg

20200308_123033.jpg

We've still got a long path the travel but it's improving so I'm more than happy :D

Maybe a little longer haha it's pretty bad as you can see but it's definitely working!

Heya Perry :)
I've been skimming wet, running plenty of carbon and dosing some beneficial bacteria but that was having no impact due to the sheer volume so it was time I brought in the big guns haha
Not sure if I'll continue it or not, once I've got it cleared up and I don't have to worry about the bloom I'm going to put some thought into whether I do or not :)
Nice work! I didn't realize you were running radions. I bet the cloud will clear in no time :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice work! I didn't realize you were running radions. I bet the cloud will clear in no time :)
Yep three lovely G4 pros :D haha

looking good! I just thought of this now but have you tried a flocculant and mechanical filtration? might help now that the UV is knocking it down.
Haven't tried a flocculant at all but running the waterbox double socks :) Mesh sock is the first stage and 150 micron felt sock is second so plenty of mechanical filtration :) And they're all working, I'm not looking forward to opening the skimmer hahaha

I vote for some simple filter floss stuffed in sump baffles, changed very often, maybe daily. Cheap and I bet it will help. Nice set up you've got running.
No filter floss in the tank at this stage but the double socks as I mentioned just above :) I'm cleaning them out pretty regularly as you can imagine haha
Thanks for the compliment! It'll be much nicer once it's really cranking haha

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't tried a flocculant at all but running the waterbox double socks :) Mesh sock is the first stage and 150 micron felt sock is second so plenty of mechanical filtration :) And they're all working, I'm not looking forward to opening the skimmer hahaha

No filter floss in the tank at this stage but the double socks as I mentioned just above :) I'm cleaning them out pretty regularly as you can imagine haha

I am not sure a flocculant would work on bacteria but it might help clump it up to a size large enough for the socks to do some real work. I use seachem's clarity from time to time to get the water clear after a water change if I have people coming over or something, and I want to get the cloudy-ness out fast. Never had any adverse effects on my fish or corals. So may be worth a consideration if your not getting enough results from what you are doing sofar, but it sounds like things are going in the right direction with the UV.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure a flocculant would work on bacteria but it might help clump it up to a size large enough for the socks to do some real work. I use seachem's clarity from time to time to get the water clear after a water change if I have people coming over or something, and I want to get the cloudy-ness out fast. Never had any adverse effects on my fish or corals. So may be worth a consideration if your not getting enough results from what you are doing sofar, but it sounds like things are going in the right direction with the UV.
I might have to give it a go then! It certainly won't hurt and any bonus clarity is good to me :D

Here we are on day three as well! Getting so much clearer! Not that it looks like much has changed in the picture haha
20200310_181516.jpg

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might have to give it a go then! It certainly won't hurt and any bonus clarity is good to me :D

Here we are on day three as well! Getting so much clearer! Not that it looks like much has changed in the picture haha
20200310_181516.jpg
Is it just me or is your waterline high?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back