Wrangy's Reef Dungeon (Waterbox 170)

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp, as some may know I've been reefing since about 2012. I started out with a 2ft cube that I loved and then moved out and in with my partner 4 years ago and took the opportunity to upgrade to a larger system. That tank went well for the first couple years but then after several major issues it became a hot trash fire that I never really came back from and the tank is currently a very miserable fish only tank. Well we bought a house and I get the dungeon room on the bottom floor that is adjacent to the garage and the laundry!! Perfect if you ask me! :D

The small dungeon room that I get will be my fish tank and pc gaming room, so a multi-use room that I can hide away in while my lovely partner rules the rest of the house ;Hilarious I have quite a large desk as there's a few things beyond the pc that it gets used for but the general place and gist of the setup will look something like the below image! The door to the right leads into the laundry and the door on the top is to the garage. I'm planning on setting up a mixing station in the laundry too!

waterbox.jpg

Display System:
Strike up Date:
In about a month, so mid-October or whenever delivery occurs haha
Display Tank: Waterbox Reef Pro 170.4/5 (130g DT)
Display Lighting: 3x Ecotech XR30 Radion G4 Pro's and maybe some blue led strips if I feel extra funky!
Stand: Lovely Waterbox stand.
Hood: Rimless tank with no hood, not sure how I'll mount the Radions yet but hung is most likely!
Sump: Waterbox sump for simplicity, plans may change though!
Refugium: Given my fish load and feeding that will be happening, I may setup an algae reactor

Support systems:
System Water:
Tossing up between NSW or ASW, the initial fill might be NSW and then Red Sea Blue bucket from there
Display Water circulation: Two MP40WQD's with some more added down the line
Return Pump: Ecotech Vectra M1
Skimmer: RLSS R8-i
Evaporation Top Up: ATO

Chemical Support:
Geo's Reef calcium reactor all the way with the appearance of some Coral Essentials goodies!

Scaled Friends:
Now this is where the real fun begins as I've leaped forth in tank size and it opens up a world of new possibilities for whom I will be able to keep! My current friends are:
  • chaetodon burgessi ("Burgers" the Burgessi Butterflyfish)
  • chaetodon declivis (Declivis butterflyfish)
  • prognathodes marcellae (French butterflyfish)
  • cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis (Rhomboid Wrasse)
  • meiacanthus atrodorsalis (Yellow tail fang blenny)
  • cypho purpurascens (Lavendar dottyback)
  • premnas biaculeatus (Gold nugget maroon clownfish pair)
  • wetmorella nigropinnata + w. albofasciata (White and yellow bar possum wrasse)

My overall plans for the tank are to imitate two of my all time favourite tanks that keep coral tanks with angels and butterflies in them! Bryn Roberts and Tanne Hoff are those tank owners and they have fantastic setup's that I adore!! So be on the look out for some weird and wonderful butterflyfish that I have in mind and some hopefully interesting angels for the tank!

All in all, I hope everyone can enjoy the ride with me as I love sharing my build and hopefully I have a wonderful reef filled with sps and fish that I yell at for picking on my sps!! Updates will come as I have them and I'll post some pictures of the rooms and plans as they develop!!

New FTS as of the 25th October :D We actually have a tank now! No more imagining!!
20191025_170438.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats, following. :)
Thanks Simon! It should be a lot of fun!!

You know I'm Team "Small" Tank, I think you'll be much happier with this vs. navigating the Pacific Ocean every time you wanted to get to your desk in that room.

Now we have to wait all the way till October? Well, pitter patter then.
I do agree with you, I'm probably much happier having gone something a heck of a lot more manageable haha

I'll make sure to upload some random pictures to try and keep things interesting in the mean time haha

Oh yeah, congrats on getting the keys to the place! Good deal more champers than I got when I signed!
haha thanks man! We only got the one bottle but we had people over so I bought a couple more and an absolute tonne of pizza (there was a hilarious mix up that meant we got so much haha) everyone got sent home with a full pizza haha

20190923_200918.jpg

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've done some more thinking about stocking and for the angel side of things I'm not going to get any large angels at this stage. The angel focus for the tank will be a wide variety of dwarf angels!
  • centropyge colini (colini angelfish)
  • centropyge potteri (potters angelfish)
  • centropyge aurantia (golden angelfish)
  • centropyge multicolour (multiolour angelfish)
  • centropyge acanthops (flameback angelfish)
  • centropyge loricula (flame angelfish)
  • centropyge venustus (venustus angelfish)

For the butterflies I'll have and hope to have:
  • chaetodon burgessi ("Burgers" the Burgessi butterflyfish)
  • chaetodon mitratus (mitratus butterflyfish)
  • forcipiger flavissimus (longnose butterflyfish)
  • At least one of the really not "reef safe" butterflies haha

And the final main attraction is the wrasse for the tank:
  • cirrhilabrus shutmani (magma wrasse)
  • cirrhilabrus isosceles (pintail wrasse)
  • At least two other groovy fairies but that's open to who I take a liking too :p

As you can see I very much want to have a heavily stocked tank with lots of life and personalities in it :D

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've done some more thinking about stocking and for the angel side of things I'm not going to get any large angels at this stage. The angel focus for the tank will be a wide variety of dwarf angels!
  • centropyge colini (colini angelfish)
  • centropyge potteri (potters angelfish)
  • centropyge aurantia (golden angelfish)
  • centropyge multicolour (multiolour angelfish)
  • centropyge acanthops (flameback angelfish)
  • centropyge loricula (flame angelfish)
  • centropyge venustus (venustus angelfish)

For the butterflies I'll have and hope to have:
  • chaetodon burgessi ("Burgers" the Burgessi butterflyfish)
  • chaetodon mitratus (mitratus butterflyfish)
  • forcipiger flavissimus (longnose butterflyfish)
  • At least one of the really not "reef safe" butterflies haha

And the final main attraction is the wrasse for the tank:
  • cirrhilabrus shutmani (magma wrasse)
  • cirrhilabrus isosceles (pintail wrasse)
  • At least two other groovy fairies but that's open to who I take a liking too :p

As you can see I very much want to have a heavily stocked tank with lots of life and personalities in it :D
You should consider doing pairs of your favorite dwarf angels, They are relatively easy to sex and nothing is cooler than seeing two stunning fish swim with each other in a large display. my lfs has a pair of coral beauty's and swallowtail's- not really dwarfs and i can watch those four swim around for hours. when i get a large tank it will be centered around a pair of flame (or potters if i can find any around here!).
But honestly this is my favorite stocking list on here, If I had a tank your size and unlimited money this is EXACTLY what i would do. maybe i would sneak in a chelmon marginalis.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should consider doing pairs of your favorite dwarf angels, They are relatively easy to sex and nothing is cooler than seeing two stunning fish swim with each other in a large display. my lfs has a pair of coral beauty's and swallowtail's- not really dwarfs and i can watch those four swim around for hours. when i get a large tank it will be centered around a pair of flame (or potters if i can find any around here!).
But honestly this is my favorite stocking list on here, If I had a tank your size and unlimited money this is EXACTLY what i would do. maybe i would sneak in a chelmon marginalis.
I'm glad you like the fish list mate! It should be a lot of fun! I did think about a copperband but the long nose wins out for me by a whisker! Haha

As for the angels, I contemplated pairs but if rather have a few more different species than a pair or two and besides, it could result in some very interesting hybrids! :D

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back