Wrasse are dumb....

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im baffled trying to understand this guys plan.... my first ever... well 2nd wrasse both came in this shipment.

First(carpenter wrasse) was lively in the back and just "calm" during acclimation. Hit the tank and i thought it was dying.... figured id take care of rest of fish then remove if dead/not recovered.

Mckoskers wrasse Shipped in a black out bag. I gently emptied it into my acclimation bucket. And to my horror thought it was proper dead. It even let me lift it out of the water by hand... Because i saw how the carpenter reacted and googled do wrasse play dead? I went forward with the acclimation process.

Times up gentyly pour out water through a net and as soon as he hits the net starts flopping around a bit.

Quickly move him to the tank and he has just been hanging here refusing to let go of the net since....

I examined as best i got to make sure he isnt stuck but mouth isnt moving at all and from every angle just looks like he is slurping on a spaghetti noodle....

Anyone run into something like this? Do i just leave him until he relaxes(or dies.....) is there a safe method to get him to let go?

20221102_170533.jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could his little tooth be stuck on net? If so that might make it look like noodle slurp. It seems like quality net, so guessing just weird things happen - sorry it is happening to you and your wrasse

If he can't get loose or if he seems stressed or breathing difficulties I think you may have to intervene

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im baffled trying to understand this guys plan.... my first ever... well 2nd wrasse both came in this shipment.

First(carpenter wrasse) was lively in the back and just "calm" during acclimation. Hit the tank and i thought it was dying.... figured id take care of rest of fish then remove if dead/not recovered.

Mckoskers wrasse Shipped in a black out bag. I gently emptied it into my acclimation bucket. And to my horror thought it was proper dead. It even let me lift it out of the water by hand... Because i saw how the carpenter reacted and googled do wrasse play dead? I went forward with the acclimation process.

Times up gentyly pour out water through a net and as soon as he hits the net starts flopping around a bit.

Quickly move him to the tank and he has just been hanging here refusing to let go of the net since....

I examined as best i got to make sure he isnt stuck but mouth isnt moving at all and from every angle just looks like he is slurping on a spaghetti noodle....

Anyone run into something like this? Do i just leave him until he relaxes(or dies.....) is there a safe method to get him to let go?

20221102_170533.jpg
Looks to me his mouth is stuck on the net, I have had this but with a worse fish… A Foxface. You may need to try gently move the fish in either a backwards (Down) formation or a forwards (Up) motion depending on how the net is stuck.

Wrasses do play dead however your first wrasse sounds like he got a spinal injury. How big is the tank?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worst case senario, you’ll have to cut the net. I know this isn’t the best situation however, if he doesn’t dislodge and his filament gets stuck in the net, you will most likely find this is what you have to do.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time i buy fish they always say don’t use nets. Unless you have to.

Imo wrasses are probably the smartest and hardiest fish in your tank (other than leopard wrasses). My Xmass wrasse grabs large pellets (intended for my tang and FF and he picks them up and makes a pile with them. Then proceeds pick them up and smash them against rocks to break them apart.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could his little tooth be stuck on net? If so that might make it look like noodle slurp. It seems like quality net, so guessing just weird things happen - sorry it is happening to you and your wrasse

If he can't get loose or if he seems stressed or breathing difficulties I think you may have to intervene
What was the outcome

OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like so much fun to watch!

Unfortunately its stubborness led to its demise. After i dont remember how long i tried again to genty remove it and to my surprise it just glided off mouth open surprised the water current didnt blow it off. Did some tests to verify it wasnt playing dead at this point sadly it wasnt.

To the guy who suggested the carpenter wrasse may have a spinal issue you had me worried in the first half but thankfully i am happy to say that one is doing well and zipping around as it desires.

It was another thread here that convinced me to buy the two saying they wouldnt be aggressive toward each other but compete by flashing more often... the carpenter(or any other fish) never went anywhere near it while it was biting the net so am taking that as a sign of it being worth trying again.

Is there a better suggestion than using a net for transfer?

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like so much fun to watch!

Unfortunately its stubborness led to its demise. After i dont remember how long i tried again to genty remove it and to my surprise it just glided off mouth open surprised the water current didnt blow it off. Did some tests to verify it wasnt playing dead at this point sadly it wasnt.

To the guy who suggested the carpenter wrasse may have a spinal issue you had me worried in the first half but thankfully i am happy to say that one is doing well and zipping around as it desires.

It was another thread here that convinced me to buy the two saying they wouldnt be aggressive toward each other but compete by flashing more often... the carpenter(or any other fish) never went anywhere near it while it was biting the net so am taking that as a sign of it being worth trying again.

I use a rounded plastic container and a nitrile gloved hand. Your mileage may vary, as far as how gentle a process this is.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a rounded plastic container and a nitrile gloved hand. Your mileage may vary, as far as how gentle a process this is.
Depending on the size of the fish, I use a slotted spoon...

Screenshot_20221106-200223.png

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the size of the fish, I use a slotted spoon...

Screenshot_20221106-200223.png
I could see that working on wrasse or clowns, easy to maneuver around rock as well, Especially nice for gobies, as the sand just falls through

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a small square shaped colander. It fits into my 10 gallon qt tank to scoop them out and or I can gently pour them into it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 16
OP
OP
C

ColonelCrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howbdobyall avoid it jumping out? The collinder idea seems interesting to me can prob find one size of bucket and just empty bag into it acclimate and lift out the collinder forba gentle hand deliver to tank... thsnks i will absolutely be looking into this idea!

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I get a new fish I just transfer it over with my hands after acclimation. The ony time I use a net is on a fish that is venemous or when I have to use it to be able to catch a fish from within the tank.
I use a fine strainer for my foxface. Something like a ice scooper used to clear holes in frozen lake

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howbdobyall avoid it jumping out? The collinder idea seems interesting to me can prob find one size of bucket and just empty bag into it acclimate and lift out the collinder forba gentle hand deliver to tank... thsnks i will absolutely be looking into this idea!
Can make your own with a Tupperware container.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a fine strainer for my foxface. Something like a ice scooper used to clear holes in frozen lake
I honestly had never considered using a strainer but probably will in the future. I hate having to use a net on the times when I couldn’t just use my hands.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.5%
Back