Wrasse eating leather corals

laurendonatella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there! So I’ve been in front of my tank most of the morning trying to figure out what is going on with my leather corals. I have two in my tank and they have been closed up now for about a week. They aren’t shedding and all other coral seem to be doing fine. I moved one thinking maybe it was warfare but I know in general leathers are supposed to be really pretty resilient. So I’ve been wondering what the heck is going on and then I catch sight of my big banana wrasse chomping at one of my leathers. I don’t see any bite marks in the leather itself. Could this be why my leather is closed up? Any recommendations for how to get him to stop doing this?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there! So I’ve been in front of my tank most of the morning trying to figure out what is going on with my leather corals. I have two in my tank and they have been closed up now for about a week. They aren’t shedding and all other coral seem to be doing fine. I moved one thinking maybe it was warfare but I know in general leathers are supposed to be really pretty resilient. So I’ve been wondering what the heck is going on and then I catch sight of my big banana wrasse chomping at one of my leathers. I don’t see any bite marks in the leather itself. Could this be why my leather is closed up? Any recommendations for how to get him to stop doing this?
If he’s biting it, the coral will close up. It probably comes down to which do you like more.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Banana Wrasses can be destructive for reef tank...
Let's ask the Resident Expert:
#Evolved

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "banana wrasse", what species do you mean? Is it Halichoeres chrysus or Thalassoma lutescens? If it's H. chrysus, then it's simply picking off pests/pods from the coral and not eating the coral itself. If it's T. lutescens, then it could be suspect.

OP
OP
L

laurendonatella

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thalassoma lutescens

What is weird is that my toadstool will “bloom” for an hour or two but then close back up. So I’m not sure if it’s related to me seeing my wrasse nip at it or not, but when I have seen him nip, he seems to more go for it at the base where the frag is glued to my rock.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thalassoma lutescens

What is weird is that my toadstool will “bloom” for an hour or two but then close back up. So I’m not sure if it’s related to me seeing my wrasse nip at it or not, but when I have seen him nip, he seems to more go for it at the base where the frag is glued to my rock.
That behavior is it picking at microfauna, but inadvertently biting the coral, too.

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've caught my six-line picking at the polpys and the body of my long polyp toadstool. There appear to be some nibbles along the edges too, although I haven't actually seen him doing that.

The coral has been unhappy for some time, and I suspected it was getting ready to shed, but then I saw the wrasse picking at it last week. It appeared that he actually bit off one of the polyps.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back