wrasse options for 50 gallon

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello so the other day i posted about an aggressive dwarf angelfish in my tank. i am removing him and looking for options to replace it. my tank mainly has zoas, euphylia, and anemones. fish wise without the aggressive fish thats being removed i have 2 ocellaris clownfish, 2 purple firefish, 1 lined blenny, 1 hi fin goby,1 banggaii cardinal fish, and a skunk cleaner. i was looking at some wrasse to replace the angelfish. looking through forum post and other things i listed options that i think go well together, with a look that i like. i would love some opinions, past experiences and reccomendations. show me some pictures with whats possible maybe. here is what i was thinking.
looking at 1 christmas wrasse(Halichoeres claudia) and/or Melanurus Wrasse(Halichoeres melanurus)
if possible with either
Carpenter's Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus carpenteri)
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse(Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Ruby Longfin Fairy Wrasse(Cirrhilabrus rubeus)

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus would be a must have for me. They’re one of the best pest control wrasses next to a six line, without the aggression. Christmas wrasses are great too. I do have both together and they could care less about each other. Wrasses for the most part are super peaceful and I love them

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus would be a must have for me. They’re one of the best pest control wrasses next to a six line, without the aggression. Christmas wrasses are great too. I do have both together and they could care less about each other. Wrasses for the most part are super peaceful and I love them
thats good to hear. i love the melanarus. ive had one before and it was great. i worried about my tank being smaller and adding them together. i would make sure they are qt'd and added to the display tank at the same time

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCoskers and love it however, I’ve seen some Royal wrasses and they are stunning. Definitely recommend one of those

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a McCoskers and love it however, I’ve seen some Royal wrasses and they are stunning. Definitely recommend one of those
i assume youre talking about the royal flasher wrasse? i have seen on in person.

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so any idea how many of the wrasse i can keep safely?
I don’t believe you would have a problem keeping a Xmas or Melanurus together with a flasher wrasse. However adding 2 more wrasse would put you at a total of 9 fish. For a 50 gallon I think that’s abit overstocked. If I were you I would get rid of some of the other fish you have to get the wrasse combo you desire.

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe you would have a problem keeping a Xmas or Melanurus together with a flasher wrasse. However adding 2 more wrasse would put you at a total of 9 fish. For a 50 gallon I think that’s abit overstocked. If I were you I would get rid of some of the other fish you have to get the wrasse combo you desire.
yea i know i was going to be pushing it. i know my skimmer and filtration can handel it but i assume not enough room for everyone without some aggression

joshyross70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes I would get rid of at least the the blenny, goby, and cardinal fish to make room. Maybe one of the fire fish as well. Again that’s just me

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your shoes I would get rid of at least the the blenny, goby, and cardinal fish to make room. Maybe one of the fire fish as well. Again that’s just me
the goby is going to be rehomed to a different tank and the cardinal fish or blenny may go with

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 x 23 isn't enough room for H. melanurus, in my opinion.

Possum or pink streak wrasse would be great options.

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 x 23 isn't enough room for H. melanurus, in my opinion.

Possum or pink streak wrasse would be great options.
thats what i was worried about. ive seen them in smaller tanks like mine but i know they are active swimmers

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its the innovative marine nuvo 50. i think dimensions are approximately 23 by 23 by 30
This tank is small, the most I would put in this, intern of fairy and flasher wrasses are two small flasher wrasse.
I recommend a McCoskeri and a Yellowfin flashers. No fairy wrasse. IMO Keeping fish , the limitation on how many fish you can put in the tank depends on how they interact and conflict between them, not how may fish the life support system and process. I would not put any other wrasse in this tank. Perhaps 4 more small fishes. These are pictures of my McCoskeri and Yellowtail Flasher.
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg
YellowfinFlasher2018071602.jpg

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank is small, the most I would put in this, intern of fairy and flasher wrasses are two small flasher wrasse.
I recommend a McCoskeri and a Yellowfin flashers. No fairy wrasse. IMO Keeping fish , the limitation on how many fish you can put in the tank depends on how they interact and conflict between them, not how may fish the life support system and process. I would not put any other wrasse in this tank. Perhaps 4 more small fishes. These are pictures of my McCoskeri and Yellowtail Flasher.
McCoskeri2018051801resized.jpg
YellowfinFlasher2018071602.jpg
im leaning heavy towards this one. its such a beautiful "show" fish. kinda fits what i wanted. looks like i wont chance it with a second wrasse in there. i do have a buddy who can get his hands on and quarantine this wrasse and the christmas wrasse i listed before. i almost pulled the trigger but decided to wait to see if anyone else left advice. i appreciate all the advice given.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im leaning heavy towards this one. its such a beautiful "show" fish. kinda fits what i wanted. looks like i wont chance it with a second wrasse in there. i do have a buddy who can get his hands on and quarantine this wrasse and the christmas wrasse i listed before. i almost pulled the trigger but decided to wait to see if anyone else left advice. i appreciate all the advice given.
You need two flasher wrasse so they display against each other. Having just one, they won't show their color well.

OP
OP
Maui The God

Maui The God

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need two flasher wrasse so they display against each other. Having just one, they won't show their color well.
do they have to be the same wrasse? like male/female or can two different flasher wrasse males achieve the heightened colors?

Back