Wrasse Owns Tank :(

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clownfish and a marble/checkerboard/hortulanus wrasse in my 125g. Wrasse attacks clowns when food is dropped yet, wrasse won't eat it. Clowns are confined to the top of the water or the corners. The wrasse always watches them. The clownfish don't fight back. I feel as though I should get rid of him. It's been about 1.5 weeks since I got him. I hope my cerith Snails are still alive as I don't see a single one on the rocks. Any suggestions? It said this fish was peaceful on LiveAquaria...

Last edited:

GoReefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 clownfish and a marble/checkerboard/hortulanus wrasse in my 125g. Wrasse attacks clowns when food is dropped yet, wrasse won't eat it. Clowns are confined to the top of the water or the corners. The wrasse always watches them. The clownfish don't fight back. I feel as though I should get rid of him. It's been about 1.5 weeks since I got him. I hope my cerith Snails are still alive as I don't see a single one on the rocks. Any suggestions? It said this fish was peaceful on LiveAquaria...
A lot of wrasses will eat small inverts. Every fish has it's own personality. Some are just A** h****! I would just banish him to a fish container for a while and see how he does after a week. It could be that there is only 2 clowns in the tank letting him do his thing. If you put a tang in there it may calm his aggression some.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of wrasses will eat small inverts. Every fish has it's own personality. Some are just A** h****! I would just banish him to a fish container for a while and see how he does after a week. It could be that there is only 2 clowns in the tank letting him do his thing. If you put a tang in there it may calm his aggression some.
Need to wait a month or so for that.

OP
OP
SaltwaterGuruNeeded

SaltwaterGuruNeeded

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my wrasse is now eating like a pig. I think it's been almost 3 weeks now. The aggression has gotten worse. I just witnessed him clamping down on the gills of my clownfish and swimming with the clown in his mouth. I think I may have to put him down because of LiveAquaria saying it was peaceful, and also not being able to cancel my order.and also not having a place to bring him to. I am at a loss. I love these clowns, I can't have them dead. Every 5-10 mins they get attacked and it doesn't matter where they are in the tank now. The clowns have split to different sides of the tank. This is a total nightmare.

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a damsel and the wrasse will seem like missionary…
In seriousness you need to remove the wrasse. Bag him up and take him to a local store. You’ll get some form of credit.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my wrasse is now eating like a pig. I think it's been almost 3 weeks now. The aggression has gotten worse. I just witnessed him clamping down on the gills of my clownfish and swimming with the clown in his mouth. I think I may have to put him down because of LiveAquaria saying it was peaceful, and also not being able to cancel my order.and also not having a place to bring him to. I am at a loss. I love these clowns, I can't have them dead. Every 5-10 mins they get attacked and it doesn't matter where they are in the tank now. The clowns have split to different sides of the tank. This is a total nightmare.
Where are you located?

Agreed the weasse should come out but come on, You don't need to kill the fish.

Take it to a fish store, Post it for sale here, craigslist offer up whatever.

Last edited:

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you located?

Agreed the rat should come out but come on, You don't need to kill the fish.

Take it to a fish store, Post it for sale here, craigslist offer up whatever.
I believe they are doing just that. But honestly who in this hobby hasn’t thought about nursing something in their tank from time to time lol. I’ve have been told several times “we don’t eat pets”!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get rid of him and catch using a fish trap. Checkerboards can be nasty and grow large. Live Aquaria info is not always correct.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are doing just that. But honestly who in this hobby hasn’t thought about nursing something in their tank from time to time lol. I’ve have been told several times “we don’t eat pets”!
I'll just say, goby's do look like they would make good tacos when dumping sand on the acan garden.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always research purchases. There is actually a ton of info out there on wrasses. Live Aquaria is like a super short paragraph on fishes and should never be relied upon. It might as well be the card at Petco that are on the tanks. Ha!

I am watching a video on wrasses right now actually while browsing and when he got to the checkerboard wrasses... he said I would never do personally keep one unless I had 1000 gallons.

I am sure they are fine in the right tank... maybe with bigger tank mates.. some mean big maroons perhaps instead of some more docile clowns.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%
Back