So if I need to keep it I will if not
Sell or trade for something I need

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn down the intensity to reduce the par but I would personally run two or even more.

I run a Gen3 XR30 over a 20 nuvo fusion which is 24" in length. Honestly, if I could, I'd run 4 pucks of LEDs on my 20 nuvo but at the point, it's too pricey.

This provides light from all angles so you get a better growth appearance of the corals. My zoanthids and palys even with sufficient par tend to angle themselves towards the pucked LEDs when they are on the outer rims of the units.

Don't get me wrong, one unit can definitely grow stuff but stuff may grow out to look unbalanced.

Similar to how house plants get sufficient light to grow but will angle themselves towards the light source. I'm not a fan of that look.

This is just my opinion on what I would do.

OP
OP
mikeandkerry

mikeandkerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can turn down the intensity to reduce the par but I would personally run two or even more.

I run a Gen3 XR30 over a 20 nuvo fusion which is 24" in length. Honestly, if I could, I'd run 4 pucks of LEDs on my 20 nuvo but at the point, it's too pricey.

This provides light from all angles so you get a better growth appearance of the corals. My zoanthids and palys even with sufficient par tend to angle themselves towards the pucked LEDs when they are on the outer rims of the units.

Don't get me wrong, one unit can definitely grow stuff but stuff may grow out to look unbalanced.

Similar to how house plants get sufficient light to grow but will angle themselves towards the light source. I'm not a fan of that look.

This is just my opinion on what I would do.
Thanks
Good info
Anyone else have an opinion?

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need diffusers or wide angle lenses. You've got a pretty heavy spotlight in the center, lenses or diffusers would help spread the PAR a bit more evenly

OP
OP
mikeandkerry

mikeandkerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you need diffusers or wide angle lenses. You've got a pretty heavy spotlight in the center, lenses or diffusers would help spread the PAR a bit more evenly
Well that par reading is with one light on high intensity

PmCarbrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue you need them anyway, radions and kessils suffer from the same issue, they have huge spotlight effects, and par drops off steeply at the edges of the spread. Even if you are planning on using two lights you would get better, more even coverage with either lenses or diffusers. Even with two lights, you will just have two hotspots instead of one.

OP
OP
mikeandkerry

mikeandkerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue you need them anyway, radions and kessils suffer from the same issue, they have huge spotlight effects, and par drops off steeply at the edges of the spread. Even if you are planning on using two lights you would get better, more even coverage with either lenses or diffusers. Even with two lights, you will just have two hotspots instead of one.
Got ya .....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back