XXL750 V1 Plumbing question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to temporarily take down my RSR XXL750, v1 and before I do so I have a few plumbing questions.
I recall when setting up the tank that these three pipes (return, and two down), locked or possibly snapped onto some sort of plate (1 plate for 3 vs three individual bulk heads) thats glued to the bottom of the tank. I thought I heard a clicking sound during the install, though I could be mistaken as this was years ago.
There are three individual lock rings on the bottom side of the tank that hold each pipe in place.

Plumbing questions:
1. Do these pipes easily come out, or are they designed as one time installation? For reference, product page with diagram for replacement parts: https://www.redseafish.com/support/product-support/products/reefer-xxl-750/tabs/spare-parts
XXL750v1 pipe replacement.png

2. Similar to the first question, asked differenting: The "How to replace O rings" on the website seems to show that the pipes are easier to remove than I recall. Is anyone here able to verify from experience for me?
https://www.redseafish.com/blog/how-to-replace-the-o-rings-in-a-reefer/
3. Speaking of O rings, whats their typical life span? For re installation, after 3 years, should they be replaced or if after inspection, if no damages, leave them be?
4. It does not appear so, however should I utilize plumbers tape on any threaded parts between pipe fittings for the red sea factory pipes? I do not recall needing this in the past but wanted to double check.

5. Under the newer model of tanks, the G2 version, The Red Sea website mentions "Bulkhead connector kits: Bulkhead connectors suitable for both Metric and USA standard pipes can be purchased separately, allowing you to customize your sump piping." I've searched on the Red Sea website, throughout google, and two spare part suppliers (fishtanksdirect.com and marineandreef.com) but cannot seem to locate these. Is this a soon to be released product or simply does not exist? Also, if they do exist, can they be used to convert to standard size pipes, thereby by-passing the need to use the red sea pipes (shown as P1,2, 3 in the image)? I currently have a metric to standard converter at the bottom of these pipes but am considering converting to standard pipes earlier, ditching the redsea plumbing and utilizing a true gate valve.
bulkhead connector kits.png

Thank you!
-Eric

Last edited:
OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this photo searching through the RedSea facebook page which shows how the pipes connect inside the bottom of the overflow. Notice the teeth on the top and the one piece bulk head. How well do these unscrew? Seems like they are meant to be installed once and will have to be broken to come out.
pipe connection RSR XXL750.jpeg

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ic, thank you. What’s the best way to reach Redsea? Here, email, their Facebook page?

xsquyz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain pipes are removable for maintenance and is water sealed via the o-rings. It does not require plumbers tape. Once removed, it is advisable to replace the o-rings as the o-rings has already lost its form and potentially not seal once re-installed. The whole priority system is made of a very thin abs material so only hand tighten ever so slightly as you can crack the 1 piece bulkhead base if overtighten.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Maybe Im overthinking it, and the pipes just lift out once unscrewed from the bottom. I'll order replacements incase things break during the temporary take down.

QU4NTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to temporarily take down my RSR XXL750, v1 and before I do so I have a few plumbing questions.
I recall when setting up the tank that these three pipes (return, and two down), locked or possibly snapped onto some sort of plate (1 plate for 3 vs three individual bulk heads) thats glued to the bottom of the tank. I thought I heard a clicking sound during the install, though I could be mistaken as this was years ago.
There are three individual lock rings on the bottom side of the tank that hold each pipe in place.

Plumbing questions:
1. Do these pipes easily come out, or are they designed as one time installation? For reference, product page with diagram for replacement parts: https://www.redseafish.com/support/product-support/products/reefer-xxl-750/tabs/spare-parts
XXL750v1 pipe replacement.png

2. Similar to the first question, asked differenting: The "How to replace O rings" on the website seems to show that the pipes are easier to remove than I recall. Is anyone here able to verify from experience for me?
https://www.redseafish.com/blog/how-to-replace-the-o-rings-in-a-reefer/
3. Speaking of O rings, whats their typical life span? For re installation, after 3 years, should they be replaced or if after inspection, if no damages, leave them be?
4. It does not appear so, however should I utilize plumbers tape on any threaded parts between pipe fittings for the red sea factory pipes? I do not recall needing this in the past but wanted to double check.

5. Under the newer model of tanks, the G2 version, The Red Sea website mentions "Bulkhead connector kits: Bulkhead connectors suitable for both Metric and USA standard pipes can be purchased separately, allowing you to customize your sump piping." I've searched on the Red Sea website, throughout google, and two spare part suppliers (fishtanksdirect.com and marineandreef.com) but cannot seem to locate these. Is this a soon to be released product or simply does not exist? Also, if they do exist, can they be used to convert to standard size pipes, thereby by-passing the need to use the red sea pipes (shown as P1,2, 3 in the image)? I currently have a metric to standard converter at the bottom of these pipes but am considering converting to standard pipes earlier, ditching the redsea plumbing and utilizing a true gate valve.
bulkhead connector kits.png

Thank you!
-Eric
Did you ever get in contact with Red Sea about this? I want to use one of these for my return plumbing and convert it up high to build a manifold on my older XL525V3.

OP
OP
ESH

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting, might be what I was looking for.

For now, I picked up an extra set of pipes. Still have not taken the tank down as Im waiting to coordinate with when ever the contractor is going to re do the floors. Either way, should be ready to do this when ever its time to do so.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back