Yellow Fish Recommendations

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'll take a shot with the Yellow Coris.
If you do, just remember that "Yellow Coris" wrasse is not actually in the Coris genus, but rather is Halichoeres chrysus. True Coris wrasses are literally a different animal altogether (though still wrasses).

I'm still curious how these ever came to be commonly called by a different scientific genus...

P.S. I would recommend a mesh lid, since all fish can be jumpers (as previously mentioned).

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saffron will put a nice yellow tint on most foods. Fish shouldn't be a problem.

cdw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a yellow fish to balance out the coloration in my tank. I'd love a Yellow Tang but I feel my tank would be too small. I have a 48 gallon that currently holds 2 clowns, 3 Green Chromis 1 Cardinal, 1 Diamond Goby, 1 Fire Fish, and 1 Royal Gramma. Any suggestions for a reef safe, peaceful, yellow fish I could add to a tank my size?

Yellow Assessor all day, if you can find one. They're virtually indestructible, very peaceful, suited to your size tank and the other fish you have, and coolest of all, they swim upside down. Super cool fish, could never have a tank without one!

1676498016909.png

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this but I heard they jump! I don't have (nor want) a top on my tank

Good luck keeping your firefish long-term then. They're jumpers as well. Get a mesh lid, and then get a Halichoeres chrysus or Halichoeres leucoxanthus.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are halichoeres wrasses OK in a 48 gallon tank? That was the only reason I didn't recommend
Not all, but some stay small enough, I think. H. chrysus is one of them.
I've got an H. leucoxanthus in a 40g Breeder (similar footprint dimensions to @ptrick21186 's tank) that is doing great, though I do have a few options to rehome to a larger tank at home if really needed if it reaches full size.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Assessor all day, if you can find one. They're virtually indestructible, very peaceful, suited to your size tank and the other fish you have, and coolest of all, they swim upside down. Super cool fish, could never have a tank without one!

1676498016909.png
I also like this fish. Starcki and other damsels you will have aggression issues. No lid=no wrasses

OP
OP
ptrick21186

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want a lid that's gonna block the lighting to my tank though. Maybe egg crate? It's still technically a diffuser but not as much. Feel like that would look cheap though....

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want a lid that's gonna block the lighting to my tank though. Maybe egg crate? It's still technically a diffuser but not as much. Feel like that would look cheap though....

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mesh lids block only a tiny portion of the light... especially if you use "clear" mesh. You have to build a frame to hold the mesh, almost identical to common window screens.
This is the most common lid option, as far as I know. I would highly recommend it!
Examples from Bulk Reef Supply (BRS): Clear 1/8", Clear 1/4", Black

Additionally, glass tops can be used, but they limit air exchange and need to be cleaned often to not block the lighting over time due to collecting salt spray or growing algae.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate will block more light than mesh ever will… you might lose like 2 par lol..
this is mine
B0793B6C-4B65-4FA3-8542-A34432F0387C.jpeg

Lineatus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had three large wrasse jump through egg create over the years :(. Id just use a mesh lid, it won’t block light at all and actually keep the fish in

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had three large wrasse jump through egg create over the years :(. Id just use a mesh lid, it won’t block light at all and actually keep the fish in
I lost my newly acquired diamond goby through my mesh! Little booger was just the perfect size to fit! He had some perfect aim! Haha.. my yellow corris hasn’t tried but he’s small enough and if got superior aim he could get through it till I fatten him up a little.

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my newly acquired diamond goby through my mesh! Little booger was just the perfect size to fit! He had some perfect aim! Haha.. my yellow corris hasn’t tried but he’s small enough and if got superior aim he could get through it till I fatten him up a little.
What mesh size did you use?
1/8" is the best recommendation if you keep small fish (maybe no matter what fish you keep, unless you really don't want the small increase in blocked light due to the smaller mesh size).

NicholasDRR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a yellow fish to balance out the coloration in my tank. I'd love a Yellow Tang but I feel my tank would be too small. I have a 48 gallon that currently holds 2 clowns, 3 Green Chromis 1 Cardinal, 1 Diamond Goby, 1 Fire Fish, and 1 Royal Gramma. Any suggestions for a reef safe, peaceful, yellow fish I could add to a tank my size?
Get the Yellow Coris, it's reef safe and peaceful. It also has a great personality. Only thing to note is they do jump so a lid is a must.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.7%

Back