Yellow in corals

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then only Acro I currently have that should have yellow is a RR Wolverine. I've had it since about May of this year and after about a month or so, the yellow corallites faded. Last week I started dosing nitrate via a potassium nitrate solution. My nitrate is now up to around 5ppm and the wolverine has it's yellow corallites coming back really strong. I'll try to get a picture.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Since we're on the topic)

For those reading who wish to keep yellow sticks, starting out with a heavily aquacultured OG Pink Lemonade frag is always a safe bet. It's probably one of the easiest yellow sticks to color up IMO and it gets that signature fuzzy/defined PE, which is always pleasant to look at. It also happens to be one the few that will either be brown, yellow or white depending on lighting/nutrients. I've never personally witnessed one turn green but I suppose it's definitely possible...

Pink Lemonade will always be a personal favorite of mine.

Wilsoni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the flip-side, Bali SC happens to be one of the most difficult sticks to color up IMO. Pulling the bright yellow tips and multicolored base is rather challenging in general. If you happen to find it's sweet spot, (whatever you do, don't move it...) Lol

I'm sure others on here would agree with me on this. It's a crazy beautiful acro, but it will create a great deal of frustration to those who struggle with coloring up sticks.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to third the pink lemonade. I have the Tyree, bottom third of the tank, off to the side under LEDs and it is bright yellow with pink tips. I haven't tested nitrates in years and lasted I checked phosphate it was something like 1;but that was months ago. I think yellow coral will tend to be yellow......and they can all turn brown.

spidercrab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I've gotten several inquiries to buy my flaming volcano unicorn!! Guys that was a joke it is just a photoshopped red planet! I'm not going to sell 1 inch for 400$ unless you force me to.

Stonecold

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of mine...
Picture 018.jpg
Picture 045.jpg
Picture 028.jpg

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mg yellow, got it bleached white and halv dead. I find ig hard to keep yellow. Like this one was really yellow then starting to have a little green tint
IMG_3893.JPG

Donovan Joannes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Pikachu frag for about one million years that turned green. Growth is getting better, all new sprout is much more yellow than the base. I think light spectrum play a major role on coral coloration. Any taker on correct spectrum needed for yellow coloration?

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased a Bananarama and was wanting to get every ones FEEDBACK on keeping yellows in corals. It seems to be one of the most daunting colors to keep.
If anyone has any ideas on other colors that are hard to keep, please include them!
I just purchased a Bananarama and was wanting to get every ones FEEDBACK on keeping yellows in corals. It seems to be one of the most daunting colors to keep.
If anyone has any ideas on other colors that are hard to keep, please include them!
Salty1962 here is my U.C. Bananarama. Roughly a year old now. I keep it halfway in my display under t5 with medium to high flow. Any pics of yours?

Screenshot_2017-10-28-06-41-25.png

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salty1962 here is my U.C. Bananarama. Roughly a year old now. I keep it halfway in my display under t5 with medium to high flow. Any pics of yours?

Screenshot_2017-10-28-06-41-25.png
Mine's still a frag, I'll get some pics of it. Still pretty green right now[emoji51]

tripdad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice thread Salty. I find true yellow acros very hard to find and keep, maybe the only thing harder is a true orange. I've seen one, tried to buy a frag but the guy lost the colony. The best yellow I've ever seen is in Krzystof Tryc's fabulous tank.

Acrostick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had some green also for awhile. Once they get settled in they are a pretty fast grower. Love mine.

OP
OP
Salty1962

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had some green also for awhile. Once they get settled in they are a pretty fast grower. Love mine.
Yeah, I can't wait for mine to decide it wants to turn yellow. I got mine at one of Joe's sales.
Thx

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back