Yellow tang in a 40?

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Do you have a petco? They sell 75g at a good price during the sales and they have 60g now too.

$175 right now on Petco website for as 75g... I believe they go as cheap as $125 during the per gallon sales.

Yellow Tangs are expensive too tho... $150-$200 - can just put that money and get a nice upgrade sooner.
Great Advice as well. Best of luck :)

JamesZ.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in my 43gal. Though it was a little bigger than a .50 cent piece when i got it a few months ago. It has grown and I plan to give it back to my LFS for store credit next week.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a petco? They sell 75g at a good price during the sales and they have 60g now too.

$175 right now on Petco website for as 75g... I believe they go as cheap as $125 during the per gallon sales.

Yellow Tangs are expensive too tho... $150-$200 - can just put that money and get a nice upgrade sooner.
It's not really the tank that is a worry for me it's just all of the equipment that is needed for a larger tank, It would cost way more than my 40 breeder

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If i did around a 100g tank how expensive do you think it would cost just to set it up?

Reefsupreme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
2   2   0
Depends on the size of the tang. I had one in a 24g for about a year. He was tiny when I got him. He loved it in there. Was never stressed and did just fine. Now have him in a 80 gallon and is doing perfect. One of my fav fish for sure.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not really the tank that is a worry for me it's just all of the equipment that is needed for a larger tank, It would cost way more than my 40 breeder

You just need dry rock and powerheads and light if you plan on corals. Everything else is optional.

Can do cheaper lights like smatfarm or what not and some Jeabo's.

@WV Reefer has a 75g without a skimmer or sump anything. All that crap is optional. Flow + rock = biological filtration. You can always add stuff later if you want.

d8c6833c-6156-46ad-9149-31bb7c76fcb9-jpeg.1331810

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the size of the tang. I had one in a 24g for about a year. He was tiny when I got him. He loved it in there. Was never stressed and did just fine. Now have him in a 80 gallon and is doing perfect. One of my fav fish for sure.
Based on what educational background? There's always a story out there how this person or that person had a fish in a tank too small and it was fine. They're just stories though. Anecdotal evidence from people who just don't really know. I'd rather stick with what is generally the status quo.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If i did around a 100g tank how expensive do you think it would cost just to set it up?
I would definitely spend the $ on the upgrade first and then fish later.

It will get expensive if you need a chiller. If you can get away with just fans during the summer then fairly cheap. Should be able to get setup for less than $1K.

I would do a 75 or 90g tank for that tang @ $150 - $200.

Buy used stand $100

Powerheads $200

Lights $300 (2x Viparspectra @ $150 each)

Heater $50

Fans $20

Hydrometer $20

Temp probe $10

Equipment wise that's all you need. I ran a tank this way for a couple years without a sump or a skimmer and corals looked amazing.

Could add a little HOB roller type filter for surface skim. That's the only thing I would do different this time around.

Or just search CL or FB market and get everything used for less than $500.

csnv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love how people marginalize the health of pets for humor
This whole hobby chain is not for the "health" any of the pets... so people like that need to get off their high horses and accept that we are harming them for our enjoyment. pretentous "police" do make good humors.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is generally a bad idea to buy fish if you can't afford an upgrade. The fact the fish is expensive only delays the upgrade. There is always a chance it end's up dying and $150 down the drain, it happens with small Tangs sometimes, even biota ones.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This whole hobby chain is not for the "health" any of the pets... so people like that need to get off the high horses that tehy're on and do what we do and accept that we are harming them for our enjoyment. pretentous "police" make good humors.

I would say all pets are just for enjoyment. Animal shelters just full of pets being killed due to irresponsible breeding. I think we should do what we can that is reasonable. Like not letting mutts run around and breed. Not everyone will though.

A 75g is affordable and reasonable if he has $150 to spend on a tang. Seems like he wants to upgrade :) and he asked for help/opinions.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just googled "tank size for yellow tang", it took 3 seconds.

The recommended tank size for juvenile yellow tank is 100 gallons, and 150 gallons for an adult, you are suggesting a tank less than half the recommended size. Just me personally, I dont do things like that.

Back