yellowtail damsels

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Thanksgiving to all reefers,

Like to get your opinion, I been reading that yellowtail damsels are aggressive and territorial, I inherited about 12 of them when I bought my used tank (120 gallon), I have them hold at my lfs while I am cycling my tank. Seems they are all getting along since they may have grown up in the same tank

My plan is to setup mixed reed tank, and not so much for expensive fishes.
What do you think if I keep them and limit the fish that I choose, which fish do you think will be a good mate for them. I like these damsels because the blue and yellow color and they are hardy (long time ago I did keep one in my 135 gallon reef with no issue, the dominos was the nuisance)

Does yellowtail damsels get ick?

Thanks

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've experienced (long ago in a faraway galaxy...) and from reading the experiences of other reefers, yellowtail and azure damsels are among the least aggressive damsels - but they're still damsels, which means they can be feisty at times . . .

Assume that any fish _can_ get ick - some are more susceptible than others.

~B., not an expert.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, since I am restarting this hobby after 20 yrs off, like to get started with hardy fishes. I also inherited hippo tang and powder blue, which both perished due to ick at my lfs (most likely due to the move).

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what kind of trigger that will be safe for reef? and I assume trigger will stand against damsels?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellowtail damsels are indeed less aggressive than many other damsels, and with 12 in the tank they will be more focused on each other than on other fish.

Blue throats, crosshatch, and niger triggers are the more reef safe choices for triggers.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just know this ... If you put 12 yellowtail damsels in a 120 gal, you are really limiting your options for adding more fish down the road. They may be less aggressive, but you still need to house them with sturdy fish capable of defending themselves. All it takes is 1 of the 12 to turn into a little ...

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the damsels were in the tank with the tangs that died from Ich, I would assume they have it too and treat accordingly.

I have a single Azure in my tank and he is low man on the totum pole other than my firefish (N. magnifica). He doesn't bother even him. Like Humblefish said though, with that many the odds of having that one jerk is considerably more.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for triggerfish, I checked live aquaria:
Blue throat: semi safe for reef, cross hatch too expensive and niger is not safe for reef. any other option of either triggerfish or other fish that will be compatible with 12 damsels and corals

Thanks for suggestions

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although live aquaria says that the Niger is not reef safe, the can be raised to be excellent reef dwellers if you get them under 4". (I also know this from personal experience)

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, certainly nice looking niger is nice looking fish. if I have 1 baby niger and 1 baby clown trigger, will they able to withstand the 12 damsels? these 12 damsels used to live with 3 tangs (hippo, powder and purple) with no prob

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does triggerfish eat pellet food, thinking how to take care with auto feeder when I am not home

FishAddict87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that clown triggers are known to kill all of their tank mates when they grow to a certain point. They get huge too and much too large for a 120. Larger fish=dirtier water which isn't great for a reef. Have you taken a look at wrasses? Considered not taking the damsels back? That way you can expand your opinions with a much larger variety of reef safe fish.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, certainly nice looking niger is nice looking fish. if I have 1 baby niger and 1 baby clown trigger, will they able to withstand the 12 damsels? these 12 damsels used to live with 3 tangs (hippo, powder and purple) with no prob
They should be fine triggers usual hold their own against any other fish (or in your case fishes[emoji13])

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that clown triggers are known to kill all of their tank mates when they grow to a certain point. They get huge too and much too large for a 120. Larger fish=dirtier water which isn't great for a reef. Have you taken a look at wrasses? Considered not taking the damsels back? That way you can expand your opinions with a much larger variety of reef safe fish.
I have mostly heard that they only do that when you get them as adults (above 4") and most places say they need a minimum of 75 gallons (except for live aquaria)

FishAddict87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly heard that they only do that when you get them as adults (above 4") and most places say they need a minimum of 75 gallons (except for live aquaria)
I would do a quick Google search on clown triggers. They grow very quickly and can definitely become a quick headache lol. Just do your research. Try to plan out what direction you would want to take in your tank as in terms of community or aggressive.

OP
OP
mrtian97

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the inputs, still undecided between aggressive or community tank. on one hand, I like community tank but seems many of these friendly fishes are more prone to ick, etc than the yellowtail damsels for my new setup tank.

If I setup aggressive mixed reef tank, I plan to just have the 12 damsels that I already have and maybe add 1 or 2 centerpiece fish like the ****** triggerfish and a wrasse?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back