You got to be kidding me

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some fish in my tank, and they all died from ich or velvet. left the aquarium empty for 75 days, ran the fish through blue life fast quarantine. all the fish (two Ocelaris and a royal Grama look nice) today a week later, I see royal g rubbing against the sand, and it can look like the fish has a parasite or something on it. How is that possible, if the fish die again I think I'll quit, I can't take another 3 months with no fish.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you buy this fish from the store and just pop it in? Is it possible that it came from the store with ich?

I don't know what blue life fast quarantine is

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from the product description. It's very limited and will have no effects on things like velvet or ich

unwanted disease outbreaks caused by external parasites, and bacterial and fungal infections

EEDIT:
I hate to say it but if your going to spend the time going fallow it's pretty much a waste if you don't do a true QT including copper before introducing new fish

MDAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your measures may have worked effectively by running it empty, but when you bring in new fish you always run the risk of bringing in new parasites. Ive heard way too many reviews of Blue Life that found it to be ineffective. Some people like it, some don't. I am hesitant of its effectiveness.
If someone uses it and doesn't get a parasite or bacteria you are going to be very happy with the product, but chances are the fish didn't have any to begin with.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, any fish that comes into my house spends a couple of weeks in a holding tank before it goes into the main aquarium. That way if there's any signs of disease it can be treated there.
I realize most people don't have the room to run a second tank consistently for this purpose. I guess the next best thing would be to find a trusted store that runs a partial copper system.

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any parasites on the fish, but when Gramma Loreto rubs her snout in the sand, there is probably a danger that it is a parasite. what do I do now? really strange that this happens twice. the dealer is the best in town, quarantines all fish with copper etc.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really can't offer much advise but will say I trust no one to QT but myself. Just the kinda guy I am. I won't trust anyone else for RODI or saltwater purchases either.
I know QT isn't always possible but it can be as simple as a small tote and a sponge filter

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can’t remember how many times I have heard of people who have eradicated Ick from their tank and somehow, even being careful, have introduced Ick back into their tank. This is why a lot of people just manage Ick. They feed their fish really well with nutritious foods soaked with various supplements, make sure the tank water parameters are perfect and install a quality oversized UV sterilizer with the proper flow. For many, having a Ick free tank is very difficult or near impossible. For others, they do an incredible amount of work involving the quarantining of every fish with multiple medications for extended periods of time. No one will ever agree on which is the best path to take. Now is the time to decide what path you will take.

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t remember how many times I have heard of people who have eradicated Ick from their tank and somehow, even being careful, have introduced Ick back into their tank. This is why a lot of people just manage Ick. They feed their fish really well with nutritious foods soaked with various supplements, make sure the tank water parameters are perfect and install a quality oversized UV sterilizer with the proper flow. For many, having a Ick free tank is very difficult or near impossible. For others, they do an incredible amount of work involving the quarantining of every fish with multiple medications for extended periods of time. No one will ever agree on which is the best path to take. Now is the time to decide what path you will take.
No overzized uv, sets up qt, takes all the fish out of the aquarium....if he dies, he dies.

or is it sufficient to remove the one fish that shows disease, as this seems to be in in a very early phase?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I had some fish in my tank, and they all died from ich or velvet. left the aquarium empty for 75 days, ran the fish through blue life fast quarantine. all the fish (two Ocelaris and a royal Grama look nice) today a week later, I see royal g rubbing against the sand, and it can look like the fish has a parasite or something on it. How is that possible, if the fish die again I think I'll quit, I can't take another 3 months with no fish.
This dip is clearly a disinfectant and a short cut and often as you found will not work. The behavior you describe may be flukes opposed to ich but a video under white light intensity will be helpful of at least 30 sec
If fish breathing normal or labored>
Is fish eating ?

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what do I do now? take the fish out immediately to qt? all the fish? or just wait and see?

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the tank repeatedly gets ich, even after you buy from a store that QT, then I think something wrong on your end. Something in your tank, or in your habits, that cause fish to be unhappy and stressed. Its not the fishes fault they get disease and die, and its not that hard to avoid ich, it usually just a matter of patience and prior research.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No overzized uv, sets up qt, takes all the fish out of the aquarium....if he dies, he dies.

or is it sufficient to remove the one fish that shows disease, as this seems to be in in a very early phase?
All it takes is for one Protozoa to drop from the infected fish and all your other fish are at risk. It’s not likely that you tank is disease free at this point. This is why now is the time to decide which path or direction you will chose to handle disease. There are a lot of ways people deal with this.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 151 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%

Back