Your Wisdom - How to Optimize This RODI Setup?!

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there

I just installed a Spectrapure RODI unit (90 gallons + the 90 gallon piggyback setup)

Components are installed in this order:

Filter cartridge --> carbon --> Aquatec 8800 booster pump --> Aquatec pressure sensor --> RO Flood Guard solenoid --> Membrane 1 --> Membrane 2 --> DI resin --> RO flood guard optical sensor in brute container.

The booster pump is insanely noisy - something is wrong (I've used this model before). It's also difficult to fine tune the Aquatec pressure sensor. Any ideas to optimize this setup?

A few specific questions I'm wondering:

#1. Should I move the solenoid away from the pressure sensor and booster pump? If so, after the 2nd membrane when the good blue water lines have merged perhaps?

#2. Should I add a check valve? I gather the pressure switch can help to prevent backflow. If so, where is best in this setup? Do I need one after each membrane?

-Image of my setup: Click here
-Video of noisy pump: Video here

Many thanks,
Ross

1625732775882.png

Gravity

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run my system this way:
Booster Pump >Filter >Carbon >Membrane >Membrane >Pressure Switch >DI Resin >Float Valve

This way the pump can push through the filter and the pressure switch trips when the float valve closes and pressure increases after the membrane.

Last edited:

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'll take some flak on this, for one, BRS says otherwise, but you don't want to pressurize the canister filters before the membrane. For one, the canisters aren't meant to take the pressure, and two, you don't want to force water through clogged filters. The only thing requiring the pressure is your membrane. So the OP has it set up right.

@Ross Peterson , if you don't find you answers here I'd highly recommend contacting Spectrapure with you concerns. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump Noise. I just went and took a second look at your photo and don't see rubber pump straps holding the pump. On my pump, these straps are visible from a front view. Now realize I have an old Aquatec, but it did come with rubber straps that insult the vibration of the pump, minimizing noise. Have they redesigned the pump holding mechanism, or am I just not seeing the straps?

Aquatec Pump Straps.jpg

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know I'll take some flak on this, for one, BRS says otherwise, but you don't want to pressurize the canister filters before the membrane. For one, the canisters aren't meant to take the pressure, and two, you don't want to force water through clogged filters. The only thing requiring the pressure is your membrane. So the OP has it set up right.

@Ross Peterson , if you don't find you answers here I'd highly recommend contacting Spectrapure with you concerns. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you might have.
Thanks - Spectrapure has been super helpful and I'll give them a ring today.

The conundrum is that the pump had an acceptable noise level before I added a 90 gallon membrane piggyback. At that time, I had the pressure switch and solenoid after the carbon filter and before the membrane. The problem (I'm informed, and as you verify) with that setup is that the pump life decreases as sediments clog it, and sediments may be unduly pushed off the filters.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pump Noise. I just went and took a second look at your photo and don't see rubber pump straps holding the pump. On my pump, these straps are visible from a front view. Now realize I have an old Aquatec, but it did come with rubber straps that insult the vibration of the pump, minimizing noise. Have they redesigned the pump holding mechanism, or am I just not seeing the straps?

Aquatec Pump Straps.jpg
Good point - the model I have has 1/2'' fat silicone feet. Those did the trick until I upgraded my unit with another 90 GPD membrane and moved the booster to after the carbon, and moved the pressure switch and solenoid immediately after the booster.

Maybe it's just air in the lines...

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any other insights reefing community? Wondering if anyone is running the Aquatec pump with the XP Aqua Flood Guard, and if so, how's it working for you?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video of the excessively noisy pump today: Click me

The pump was working smoothly until I A) added another RO membrane and B) moved the pump after the carbon cartridge.

Can't figure out why the pump is going so crazy...

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... figured out this mess, sort of.

#1. A funny ball valve was creating pressure problems in the downstream booster pump. Replaced it and the booster pump is blissful again.

#2. I can't trip my pressure switch (to turn off the booster pump) when the product line is blocked. Followed the customary placement of the ASO (between carbon and RODI) and placed the pressure switch on the product line after the DI. All as per BRS here: Video

Spectrapure suggests the below arrangement of ASO valve and pressure switch. I don't get it... the pressure switch on the waste line? Hmmm... must be a reason...

@ReefSquad any help would be amazing.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved a few months ago and I just got my booster pump today. Where’s the best place to put it, lots of conflicting arrangements.

The diagram above your post shows where.

OP
OP
R

Ross Petersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We moved a few months ago and I just got my booster pump today. Where’s the best place to put it, lots of conflicting arrangements.
Tons of conflicting reports... ultimately, for my system (Spectrapure CSPD) and with pretty good city water, before all cartridges at 70 psi worked best. The booster pump may croak earlier, but when I put it after the sediment and carbon filters, the system was out of sync in terms of pressure...

BillyW

FOWLR while out on the island of Oahu!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. That's with the booster pump after the carbon cartridge I presume? Hard to tell.
Yeah, after the carbon cartridge, I had to drill a hole in the bracket and move the top around but it’s more convenient for me having it all together since we move every year or so.

Logical_Plan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, brand new so take this with knowing I don't have years of experience but I do like reading manuals for things that I am investing time and money into.

I am very curious about mounting the booster pump after the carbon cartridges. This is specifically stated by Aquatec in their instruction manual for the CDP8800 that it should not be done as carbon sediment will damage the pump.

Reference: Aquatec IMI-102 Rev. F 08/09

Page 1, under plumbing:
E. The pump should always be mounted prior to the carbon pre-filter to prevent carbon particles from entering the pump chambers and possibly causing clogging.

I just bought a BRS 7 stage and am planning on using a 150 micron, inline pre-filter for the pump as recommended in the Aquatec manual:
C. It is recommended that an in-line sediment filter (150 micron or 100 mesh) be installed at the inlet side to keep foreign debris out of the system. Please consult your Aquatec catalog for an in-line filter.

It appears that the rating for max pressure is 125psi for the GE sediment filters.

It also appears that the rating for max pressure for the carbon blocks is 250psi.

My thoughts on this arrangement are as follows:
**Pressure gauge after the carbon blocks now acts as indicator that sediment filter on the RO/DI system is becoming blocked
**Chlorine testing lets me know if my carbon is depleting. Testing done near the end of a water run, because at the start the carbon filters have some recovery so you will potentially get an artificial zero reading if you measure before you start making water.
**Sediment pre-filter ahead of the pump protects the booster pump

As I said in the beginning, I don't know what I don't know yet.

Cheers
-Eric

Back