OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow. I have noticed whenever I had lower flow in tanks,I got the same algae.
Ive got a smallish powerhead I havent used in ages I can throw in but I was afraid it was too much flow in a 32 biocube for the torch and tiny hammer coral I have. Will h202 kill what's on them currently? Then I can increase the flow and try to get rid of anything new.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches like moderate flow though so it shouldn't affect them. If they retract or don't open all the way its more than likely the flow is too direct and just reposition the powerhead.

Get an old toothbrush or a kids toothbrush and gently scrub the frag plug during the dip. Agitating the algae and the peroxide should help doing it that way.

I have freshwater dipped for about 15 seconds agitating the algae before the dip then dipping in a mix of tank water and peroxide then dipping again in a container or tank water successfully before.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torches like moderate flow though so it shouldn't affect them. If they retract or don't open all the way its more than likely the flow is too direct and just reposition the powerhead.

Get an old toothbrush or a kids toothbrush and gently scrub the frag plug during the dip. Agitating the algae and the peroxide should help doing it that way.

I have freshwater dipped for about 15 seconds agitating the algae before the dip then dipping in a mix of tank water and peroxide then dipping again in a container or tank water successfully before.
Ive never had success with FW dip on zoas. I save the FW for issues with LPS. Ive fought this stuff before on some white zombies I used to have but have never been able to take it out completely. I usually dip h202 in a 50/50 dip for like 2 minutes though. Im going to try a longer, 1:10 maybe concentrated dip when I get home from work and see if the longer time puts more a hurting on the algae.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: So ive lost one complete set of zoa. It was a single head of rainbow eclipse. I have lost two heads of vamps in drag (dont really care), and possibly some blue hornets. Everything else is doing better and recovering. I am not sure what the issue was. I have started feeding reef roids, added carbon, started dosing amino acids and essential elements. My zoa are reopening and returning to normal size. I am not sure what the issue is that caused this to begin with but things are starting to look up.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda going thru the same thing. I am losing my Candy Apple Pinks and my AOI are turning to mush on one ¼ of the frag,although the frag is about 25-30 polyps.

I all I have done was dose SeaChem Nitrogen 2 times,about 5-6 drops each time. SeaChems calculator calls for .6ml each day to maintain 5ppm. After dosing,the next day I tested nitrates 2 times and I had 5ppm. 2nd day after dosing tested 2 times again and I was back at 0ppm...smh.

OP
OP
Zoa_Fanatic

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am kinda going thru the same thing. I am losing my Candy Apple Pinks and my AOI are turning to mush on one ¼ of the frag,although the frag is about 25-30 polyps.

I all I have done was dose SeaChem Nitrogen 2 times,about 5-6 drops each time. SeaChems calculator calls for .6ml each day to maintain 5ppm. After dosing,the next day I tested nitrates 2 times and I had 5ppm. 2nd day after dosing tested 2 times again and I was back at 0ppm...smh.
Do you have a bunch of algae? the cyano was eating all mine up. I would just start feeding heavier if youre having nitrate issues. Mine stay at 0 though from all the zoa sucking them up and before this mess nothing was having any issues with them being at that level. Even my Xenia are thriving.

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem in my tank. I have had good luck with Brightwell's NeoNitro and NeoPhos over the past 3 months or so. Took me a couple weeks to slowly raise it and then it stabilized with small daily dosages.
How do you use the two? Like how much per gallon etc? Thanks

Tazsghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Usually when I see zoas shrinking, its a nutrient issue :). Feed more and you should see an improvement in a couple weeks. Reefroids will give your tank a quick boost but be careful to not overuse them
How much do you feed

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back