Zoa spider larvae? Harmless copepod? Help with ID

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased some zoas, and stupidly, didn't quarantine. I'm dealing with an outbreak of euglena at the moment as well, and have been looking at the green slime microscopically a few times per week.

I came across these things clinging to the return nozzles tonight. Any idea what they are? I suspect they are zoa spiders, but I hope I am wrong. These pictures are about 200x mag.

1617079991435.png

1617080004105.png

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased some zoas, and stupidly, didn't quarantine. I'm dealing with an outbreak of euglena at the moment as well, and have been looking at the green slime microscopically a few times per week.

I came across these things clinging to the return nozzles tonight. Any idea what they are? I suspect they are zoa spiders, but I hope I am wrong. These pictures are about 200x mag.

1617079991435.png

1617080004105.png
yes its a zoo spider, looks like one to me anyways...hopefully someone else will confirm or not

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes its a zoo spider
Thanks for the confirmation.

I believe these only eat zoas, correct? Process to resolve would be repeatedly dipping zoas, and monitoring, or removing zoas, dipping, and qt'ing for a while before moving back to display, I would assume.

Ill do some more reading and post results here.

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I believe these only eat zoas, correct? Process to resolve would be repeatedly dipping zoas, and monitoring, or removing zoas, dipping, and qt'ing for a while before moving back to display, I would assume.

well hold on for some one else i could be wrong i am no expert

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It does not look to me like an adult zoa spider, but if some young form of zoa spider i honestly have zero clue.

In my experience dips alone are very ineffective with them because so often they are mostly(or at times completely) inside the zoa and dont seem to be impacted. Dealing with them now in my QT(thanks to a vendor here ). I dip and and also inspect closely and getting good at identifying polyps that have a spider inside.

From my research it seems they require sexual reproduction which makes them much easier to get ahead of via manual removal than many common pests.

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Arthur_Dent did you get them from aqua sd?
No. Different vendor. Not sure if they're a sponsor. Doesn't look like they are spiders anyhow. They are Halacaridae, per post #9 above.

Heck, even if they were spiders, I only paid 10 bucks a frag, for 10 zoas and 11 LPS shipped to my door. I'll take it. Pests can be managed.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back