Zoa value and name????

Shiggknight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby for a couple years and I’m getting back into it.

How do new zoas get named and value added to them? I’ve seen zoas that look amazing but cost 30 and another hundreds of dollars per head.

Are these variations coming from private collectors who propagate and develop their own color? Or is it collectors getting new unseen specimens from the wild and naming them, themselves?

If anyone has any in-depth knowledge of zoa sourcing or how these variations come to be and how they are valued please educate me.

Thanks everyone

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been out of the hobby for a couple years and I’m getting back into it.

How do new zoas get named and value added to them? I’ve seen zoas that look amazing but cost 30 and another hundreds of dollars per head.

Are these variations coming from private collectors who propagate and develop their own color? Or is it collectors getting new unseen specimens from the wild and naming them, themselves?

If anyone has any in-depth knowledge of zoa sourcing or how these variations come to be and how they are valued please educate me.

Thanks everyone

Names are generally used to help identify the organism. Using specific scientific names can become quite tedious. Generally, not always, they are named after something they closely resemble.

I've not seen crossbreeding of zoa's or palys in my 10 years in the hobby but I wouldn't say it's impossible. Most morphs are found in the wild and then cultivated in captivity.

As for price, it varies depending on coloration and patterns. The more intense the color, unique the pattern and size will generally determine price. The rate at which they grow will also determine the price as well. You'll find beautiful specimens that are cheap but rival, in looks, some of the more expensive specimens but it's more likely due to the fact that it grows much faster or is much hardier.

Compared to SPS corals, zoa's and palys are relatively easier to keep but do still require a good amount of care for success. They just aren't as finicky as sps corals where a swing here and there will cause the skin of the sps coral to come all off...and die...

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Years ago there was a place called zoaid.com.
It was a website for naming and recording pictures and names.
People would submit pictures and their own names that they wanted to use.
The staff would checkout the pictures and look over the data base and decide if it was new or already had a name that was being used. If it was new, then it was added. Many times the pictures submitted were just variations of already submitted color varieties. Lighting, cameras, and editing came into play. Albums had to be created to hold the same ones, that had slightly different colors, but were obvious duplicates.
Worked pretty well for a number of years.
The website didn't charge for this service, so after a few years the costs must have gone up, with a probable lack of help, the website folded.

Now it seems like vendors control the name game, and the pricing.
Depending on how popular the vendor is, some prices get pretty high.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago there was a place called zoaid.com.
It was a website for naming and recording pictures and names.
People would submit pictures and their own names that they wanted to use.
The staff would checkout the pictures and look over the data base and decide if it was new or already had a name that was being used. If it was new, then it was added. Many times the pictures submitted were just variations of already submitted color varieties. Lighting, cameras, and editing came into play. Albums had to be created to hold the same ones, that had slightly different colors, but were obvious duplicates.
Worked pretty well for a number of years.
The website didn't charge for this service, so after a few years the costs must have gone up, with a probable lack of help, the website folded.

Now it seems like vendors control the name game, and the pricing.
Depending on how popular the vendor is, some prices get pretty high.
+1

Kremis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
generally a vendor imports a cool looking zoa, cuts up the colony, and sells it at 3049828094$ per polyp and names it something insane. THen people like me buy it lol

grisha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#revhtree what happened to zoaid.com?
Remember chong bongs? Does any one still have Chongs alive in the tank?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back