Zoanthids melting away

drivingmecrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I personally would raise the mag and alk. In my system I keep my alk around 8.5 - 9dkh. And magnesium around 1350 - 1400.
For me I fee I received better growth and color at these levels.

Do you have a auto top off? Or is your salinity fluctuating throughout the day?

I've learned the hard way the key is stability. What is your system size again?

If you decide to dip your zoanthids they may not open for another few days.

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would raise the mag and alk. In my system I keep my alk around 8.5 - 9dkh. And magnesium around 1350 - 1400.
For me I fee I received better growth and color at these levels.

Do you have a auto top off? Or is your salinity fluctuating throughout the day?

I've learned the hard way the key is stability. What is your system size again?

If you decide to dip your zoanthids they may not open for another few days.
I do not have an auto top off but I top off every morning and it’s a 60 gallon

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The auto tipoff is essential to keeping salinity and alkalinity in check. All it takes is one time to forget or over topoff. I had 2 mini crashes before I realized its importance. After losing nearly $1300 in coral I spent the $150-200 and never looked back.

15757272943714370858435333552782.jpg

OP
OP
Nate_Krohn

Nate_Krohn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The auto tipoff is essential to keeping salinity and alkalinity in check. All it takes is one time to forget or over topoff. I had 2 mini crashes before I realized its importance. After losing nearly $1300 in coral I spent the $150-200 and never looked back.

Great. I’ll have to get that. I appreciate it!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to continue to top off manually, make sure your topping off to the exact same mark everytime to ensure consistant salinity. I have a full line in my sump to make sure my ATO is working with just a quick glance. If its below the mark i check my ATO or that my overflow isnt clogging up, if its above the mark i look for restrictions from the sump up or my ATO may have stuck on.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And i have this ATO but not the sumpless version. Its worked flawlessly since installation.
Good for the money

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And i have this ATO but not the sumpless version. Its worked flawlessly since installation.
Good for the money
Highly agree with the line marker I will make one for myself today as well for backup.i think I will use some of my wife's florescent nail polish outside of rear 2nd chamber .I took the sump part out couldn't really get much use of it not saying its bad just didn't have use.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Highly agree with the line marker I will make one for myself today as well for backup.i think I will use some of my wife's florescent nail polish outside of rear 2nd chamber .I took the sump part out couldn't really get much use of it not saying its bad just didn't have use.
Are you running an all in one?

JustDewwit

One frag at a time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 32 with BRS Mini Reactor/AquaMaxx hob 1.5 skimmer(Ive been Fighting Gha for over a year back and forth.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that could be the problem then, corals like this use and need Iodide , never dose Iodine to your tank . I dose every 2 days 10 ml of Seachem Iodide.
Careful, if some one were to dose this amount in a small tank it might wipe them out. An iodide over dose will be catastrophic.
It is very toxic above recommended levels

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biocube 32 with BRS Mini Reactor/AquaMaxx hob 1.5 skimmer(Ive been Fighting Gha for over a year back and forth.
I was fighting some nasty GHA, cyano and never ending sand diatoms. I ended up removing my sand, removing gfo and carbon, restarted the tank with only the live rock.
Fought a bad case of GHA right after but you just have to grit your teeth and get thru it with manual removal. I placed 4 giant mexican turbos shortly after and they helped get the left overs of what i couldnt reach.
In about 4-6 weeks it was gone.
The presence of GHA tells me its feeding off your nutrients FIRST before your coral and your beneficial bacteria colony isnt as strong as it can be either. By removing the GHA you will be increasing the bacterias fuel content (ammonia) and help stabilize your colony so GHA doesnt take hold again.

It was my dirty 7 year old unrinsed sand that was fueling all my issues but after i went bare bottom with sand colored starboard, i havent looked back :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back