★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a FTS with Skunk Dottyback Out (Bottom Left)

44873103391_c6a8e1d123_b.jpg

The KITCHEN tank is recovering. I am greatly relieved.

This is a great looking tank.
Thank you for sharing.
Those purple/blue mushrooms are huge.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a great looking tank.
Thank you for sharing.
Those purple/blue mushrooms are huge.

Yes they are BIG (especially after a Water Change, which I just did). Here is a closeup (which I submitted for this Month POTM contest)

44598486632_0fbc00c6eb_b.jpg

If I turn off circulation for a while (which I did one day for a few hours by mistake)

They double in size. I was shocked when I walked into kitchen.
I should do that again and take a Photo. The size they get in Unbelievable. (Too much for practical purpose, but cool)

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great picture. Good luck with POTM.

That starfish is interesting too. I have one similar to it, but have no idea what it is eating.
Do you know what yours is feeding on?

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great picture. Good luck with POTM.

That starfish is interesting too. I have one similar to it, but have no idea what it is eating.
Do you know what yours is feeding on?
He kind of goes all over the tank. I don't feed him. Been around for over 6 months.

But after I put the Emerald Crab it, he got a Nasty bite from him.

No worries, I hear a starfish can regenerate from almost anything.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW LARGER CLOWNFISH ( Mouth Stuck OPEN and WHITE MOUTH)

Weirdest thing I ever saw. I've had clownfish before, but never seen this happen.

44199979664_2fefb4984a_z.jpg

His mouth was perfectly Orange Yesterday.

I just noticed his lips look like he put on White LIPSTICK, and he can't close his mouth.

I google this up and QUITE Common for Clowns.

He may have tried to Host with one of my LPS that looks like an Anenome. (He was a Wild Caught Percula, not captive bred). Maybe never seen a Frogspawn, or Hammer before.

GOT STUNG in the Mouth.

Sounds like he will recover, so long as he learned his lesson.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks hilarious. poor little guy.
Yes it does look quite funny.

But when I first saw it, before doing the google. I was SHOCKED, thinking some kind of bad disease.

He isn't breathing hard, or gasping, which makes sense with what I read.
He tried to eat, but can't. Mouth stuck open. That is normal too.

Not only can the White Mouth be from a Sting, it can be from a fight (like pecking which my Chromis do), or from trying to burrow into something hard (just before Spawning).

Not sure if my mushrooms might be a better place for them to Host with?
I got a patch just a inch away from the CLOWNS holding spot.

43802923274_af6f9ff35a_c.jpg

Nice and fuzzy like a Anemome or a Leather. (That would be a great SPOT!!)

But maybe they also sting Clown Mouths.

Not sure, since I'm not Clown Expert on their mucus defenses. Maybe they are only protected from Anenomes.

My Last clowns years ago hosted in a Leather.

44201242154_59b99c2935_n.jpg

43108956450_cda0feef8a.jpg

But you never know if even Clown can Handle LPS and vice versa.

I just read this on a FOrum.

, my clowns used to love my nano-mag, then the stick on thermometer, now one of them likes the frogspawn but the other doesn't understand yet.
When mine first started to show interest in the frogspawn, he was sucking on the tentacles.. it made his face all swollen and bruised.
He's gotten used to it now, so has the frogspawn.
The only time it closes up is lights out, and when those lights go out if the clown isn't near the frogspawn he shoots right over to get some good rubbin' in before it closes up.

THIS MIGHT BE AN ADVENTURE with new Clowns as they figure out what Tenacle Coral works best for a home.

Last edited:

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does look quite funny.

But when I first saw it, before doing the google. I was SHOCKED, thinking some kind of bad disease.

He isn't breathing hard, or gasping, which makes sense with what I read.
He tried to eat, but can't. Mouth stuck open. That is normal too.

Not only can the White Mouth be from a Sting, it can be from a fight (like pecking which my Chromis do), or from trying to burrow into something hard (just before Spawning).

Not sure if my mushrooms might be a better place for them to Host with?
I got a patch just a inch away from the CLOWNS holding spot.

43802923274_af6f9ff35a_c.jpg

Nice and fuzzy like a Anemome or a Leather. (That would be a great SPOT!!)

But maybe they also sting Clown Mouths.

Not sure, since I'm not Clown Expert on their mucus defenses. Maybe they are only protected from Anenomes.

My Last clowns years ago hosted in a Leather.

44201242154_59b99c2935_n.jpg

43108956450_cda0feef8a.jpg

But you never know if even Clown can Handle LPS and vice versa.

I just read this on a FOrum.

, my clowns used to love my nano-mag, then the stick on thermometer, now one of them likes the frogspawn but the other doesn't understand yet.
When mine first started to show interest in the frogspawn, he was sucking on the tentacles.. it made his face all swollen and bruised.
He's gotten used to it now, so has the frogspawn.
The only time it closes up is lights out, and when those lights go out if the clown isn't near the frogspawn he shoots right over to get some good rubbin' in before it closes up.

THIS MIGHT BE AN ADVENTURE with new Clowns as they figure out what Tenacle Coral works best for a home.

Nothing quite like Clownfish. I still remember my first clearly, a Clarkii around 1990. I had an H. magnifica in the tank when I introduced him and it was simply amazing. He backed into it with his tail and then shuddered half sideways for a bit. Then backed in again a little deeper, more shuddering. Within a short time he was fully nuzzling the anemone. It was like he was addicting himself to a drug (hey, I was in college at the time). Amazing we can have this experience right in our own homes.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing quite like Clownfish. I still remember my first clearly, a Clarkii around 1990. I had an H. magnifica in the tank when I introduced him and it was simply amazing. He backed into it with his tail and then shuddered half sideways for a bit. Then backed in again a little deeper, more shuddering. Within a short time he was fully nuzzling the anemone. It was like he was addicting himself to a drug (hey, I was in college at the time). Amazing we can have this experience right in our own homes.
Cool, Thanks for that story...... so there is an adjustment that happens (in this hosting thing)
Good to know (maybe over next while each LPS will show signs of roughing up by the Clown, and vise versa)
I never would have noticed if it were not for the White Lipstick mouth. I barely look at my Kitchen tank compared to office tank all day.
Will be interested how fast his White mouth heals and he tries again.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only clown I ever had tried to host dinos, then my overflow box. Wasn't meant to be a rocket surgeon but adorably derpy. If they didn't turn into big jerks I'd try another

LOL! Dinos, that is a new one.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only clown I ever had tried to host dinos, then my overflow box. Wasn't meant to be a rocket surgeon but adorably derpy. If they didn't turn into big jerks I'd try another
Funny about the Clown Hosting your Dinos.

Well if the clowns turn out to be Jerks, they will fit nicely into this Tank. Nothing but a bunch of bullies in there anyway.
The Angel is the Dominant bully.
The Two Chromis, submissive bullies, and I hear the Skunk Dottyback will pick a rock and defend it with his life.
The Algae Blenny with the Bowling Ball Tummy is just a Happy Dope that doesn't bother anyone, or nobody cares about.

BUT AN UPDATE ON THE (White Mouth Clown).
No improvement today. Mouth still Swollen and Lips White. He can't EAT which is my greatest concern.
Read that it could take a few days. He is big and has meat on him, so not so worried. YET.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah blennies always end up looking like they swallowed a marble! They are too good as scavengers, ultimate cuc in a way lol.

Your clown should make a few days. They go a week or two while getting shipped and collected. And she's thick, she'll be fine

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your clown should make a few days. They go a week or two while getting shipped and collected. And she's thick, she'll be fine

He is already starting to heal. (I think)

30011545457_892461e9ea_c.jpg

Doesn't look too pretty, but I see right side of mouth getting orange back.

Hoping he doesn't get an infection (This is a dirty tank).

Watching closely. Should be easy catch if Hospital Treatment is needed. I have all the med from Doing all the QTs.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BLUE GOMEZI (SPS Frag) ( COMPARE PHOTO) 1 Month ( Nothing Like In OLD TANK )

I noticed the extra Glow Today.

In my OLD Tank, I tried at least 4 Frags of one of my Favourite SPS. Killed each one (Some SLOW, Some Fast...All lost Blue Store Bought Color Quickly).

I actually couldn't keep anything BLUE in the LAST TANK.

30019831387_1cb90ac5f9_c.jpg

TYPO (Should say 4 Weeks)...

COLOR COMPARE (Bottom RIGHT Photo is with PURE WHITE FLASH....So that is Real BLUE on the FRAG's sides being hit by light)

And considering the GOMEZI is usually a SLOW Grower, this has impressed me.

After the Dosing the SIDE-VIEW Photos....I Crammed my Camera with Portal to get this OVERHEAD Shot.

43144362900_14b010564d_z.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STARTING TANK ( on RedSea NOPOX lite) N & P continues to Rise (P with PhosGuard)

I've been planning for this for quite some time.

After doing much research reading, and comparing choices (Vinegar, BioPellets, AquaForest BioS/NPpro), I've decided to go with NOPOX.

I can explain my reason, if anyone asks. (( MAIN REASON is to be ahead of the GAME on N&P before it rises too high ))

Haven't Started but am getting Ready.

44909188112_4870b8fbd4_c.jpg

I have two spare Dosing PUMPS on my DIY doser. So NOPOX will be dosed daily. (2 Doses Dailys, 2ml each dose)

I have been Dosing AquaForest Reef Minerals for a while (to Keep my Salinity Balanced, with the Extra Skimming I do)

44909187122_e314612971_c.jpg

With NOPOX, N & P is converted into BIOMASS, so Skimming is essential for N&P export.
I'll be doing this with my Double Skimmer Setup (one Skimmer Runs Wet, and One Dry)

I've also increased and Improved my MATRIX MEDIA for the NOPOX increase Bacteria to have place to Flourish.

THE NOPOX will be ramped up SLOW, Sustained once I achieved TARGETS and Stability on N&P. (I have removed my Phosguard)

From what I have seen, NOPOX works if used properly/carefully/regularily, and lots of folks don't (do properly) which can cause many problems.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said before -- Lots of crashes from NoPox.

NoPox is a mix of Vinegar and Vodka, with some RODI. that's all it is. So if you excluded vinegar (maybe cause it lowers pH temporarily) and Vodka (cyano), then you may as well exclude NoPox.

Nutrients are not the devil.

Richard Ross: Whats up with Phosphates?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back