★ 110 Gallon (In-Wall Office Dream SPS Reef Tank) ★ PROJECT GENESIS [Total Automation, DIY & More ]★

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Strange (Calcium Consumption Spike) Up-Dosing to Correct

I have had Alk/Calcium offsets in the past, and a SINLGE calculated Dose would usually correct.

My ALK is consistent/stable at 8.0 (with balanced ESS A/B Daily Dosing 12 times a day).

But my Calcium Dropped to 400 and I've been trying to get to 420.

Dosed 3x the normal amount (additional Calc), 3 days in row. It goes up and then drops again.

It could be the incremental MAG increases I did. Also possibly the accelerated Coraline growth I see everywhere.

No concern, but doing daily testing and adjustments till I balance Alk/Calcium.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Double check mag, and salinity. Calibrate the refractometer and clean the calcium test containers with rodi
Yup MAG Test Kit was Bad. I had Fellow Reefer do a test with his Kit MAG=1125, My Kit gave me 1280. Way OFF
I then tested a 1320 Reference Solution. Came back 1210, so the kit is 100% bad (Showing higher than Actual Values)

Explains my CALC depletion. Alk and Calcium Tests are accurate since also tested by Tenurepro.

Will be getting a new Test Kit tomorrow. Added a 1/2 dose of IONS Magnesium for tonight.

Will also need quite a bit of MAGNESIUM Additive if I need to bring up by approx. 150ppm. I figure I'll get ESV Liquid Mag since I use ESV A/B.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be 'that' guy, but i'm really good at it... So!

If you aren't using Salifert, you're doing it wrong lol. It's the only test that hasn't let me down ever. The only non-salifert test I use is Hanna phosphate checker, because it's the only salifert test thats hard to read -- all the rest have accurate and dramatic color changes.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be 'that' guy, but i'm really good at it... So!

If you aren't using Salifert, you're doing it wrong lol. It's the only test that hasn't let me down ever. The only non-salifert test I use is Hanna phosphate checker, because it's the only salifert test thats hard to read -- all the rest have accurate and dramatic color changes.
I was using Aquaforest Mag Kit. It's basically the Salifert Kit (but with a extra Dropper/Step) to get better readings if Calc is above or below norm.
The steps are identical and even the dropper table.

It was giving good tests for a long while. I would say better then the 3 step Salefert.

But I was down to like a few tests left, and I learned that lesson before. Last part of ANY test kit isn't too reliable since you can build up contaminants, or just evaporation from opening bottle 45 times.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NEW Salifert MAG KIT (Good Kit.....Getting Mag on Track) Calcium Already Stable

So the Brand New Salifert MAGNESIUM Kit gave me Proper Readings.

I can start bringing up MAG to proper levels. Got a Bottle of EVS (Magnesium) since I use ESV Part A/B already.

Already the MAG dose (IONS) I added last night helped (Mag rose to 1200), and Calcium is already holding steady at 420.

Of course, I couldn't leave the store with just a test kit.

42919584790_4c8e7caa48_c.jpg

I'm just too weak for New (Nice) Frags, and this one was always on my Wish List from the Past Frags I killed in OLD Toxic Tank.

I actually now have ALMOST every Frag I've ever killed in past tank that I wanted in New Display Tank. (Except for a Pink Matrix...but haven't found one yet)

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research on Magnesium Levels & Calcium (Some things learned)

Well after that Magnesium Dip I just experienced..... I did some reading about Magnesium.

Learned below from Here.
https://orphek.com/magnesium-mg-and-its-role-in-the-reef-aquarium/

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
->
Coraline Algae Growth can consume much more MAG that Corals can (This Explains my drop...My Coraline is growing like nut's covering rocks and Glass Bottom)

-> When Mag Drops...The Available Calcium for Coral Consumption drops (A Portion of Calcium Level in Water. [1:3] RATIO [Calcium:Magnesium] Levels )
----------> (Doesn't necessarily mean Calcium Level Drops in your water, but it can and will)
----------> Means no matter what Level your Calcium is a 1:3 Proportion of Calcium will be available for Coral Consumption.
--------------------> ie (Natural Sea water CALC=420 MAG=1280) Do the math 420 x 3.05 =1280
--------------------> So if you MAG is low like mine was 1125 (the available Calcium to corals was 1125 / 3.05 = 368, even though my Calcium was 420 after each time I topped up...... AND it kept dropping back down to around 400)

-> A General Rule (Never Raise Mag by more than 100ppm/Day) (Found on most Mag Product instructions, and the Reef Chemistry Calculator)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a Successful Coral Farmer once Post on my OLD Thread (Two Ratios for best SPS Coral Growth...both must be met)

that 3:1 ratio of MAG:CAL will get best coral growth results
Now I understand what he meant.....4 years later

He also said for best growth MAG:ALK ratio should be 150:1....but that's not scientific, it was just from his Coral Farm Experience.

Here was his Farm (Lighting 2400 PAR......Sunlight)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500838

Glad I caught the MAG issues, since I'm back on track for both Coraline and SPS growth.

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great magnesium info.
I heard about the 3:1 Mg/Ca rule before... never really bothered me to get time to understand it or found out.
Your post just did that!!

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great magnesium info.
I heard about the 3:1 Mg/Ca rule before... never really bothered me to get time to understand it or found out.
Your post just did that!!
I thought it was great to understand it too. (Finally)

Rakie thinks it's Stupid Math, and I completely understand why. There are no magic-bullet perfect water Parameters, since too many factors.
The only thing one can guarantee is Bad Parameters and even sometimes that is proven wrong.

But Sea Water Science is nothing but MATHEMAICAL Ratios.
Ionic Balance, Balance Alk/Calc, Macro Elements, micro Elements, oxygen and other gases like CO2 affecting PH.
It helps to understand some of this stuff.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW it Happened (Only 1 Blue Green Chromis Left in my other Tank) 2 just got Killed by the Dominant one.

A long while back when I got 7 Blue Green Chromis fish to have a nice school.....Someone posted that they would kill each other off, and I would only be left with one.
Certainly a few got killed at the beginning. Then a couple more later.

I was left with 3 and they all got BIG, but found their own places. I also added the Large Angel from My SPS tank, and he was kind of King of DT.

Feeding time was always competitive with the Dominant Chromis in charge of the other Chromis.

Two days ago after adding the Large Emerald Crab, my kids brought to my attention that Fighting started again. Pretty aggressive, and continuous.

This morning at feeding time, things were weirdly calm. Only one Chromis out to eat....The dominant one.

I then noticed the Hermits picking at the carcases of the two Dead Chromis fish.

Only one Chromis left.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Research on Magnesium Levels & Calcium (Some things learned)

Well after that Magnesium Dip I just experienced..... I did some reading about Magnesium.

Learned below from Here.
https://orphek.com/magnesium-mg-and-its-role-in-the-reef-aquarium/

->
Coraline Algae Growth can consume much more MAG that Corals can (This Explains my drop...My Coraline is growing like nut's covering rocks and Glass Bottom)

-> When Mag Drops...The Available Calcium for Coral Consumption drops (A Portion of Calcium Level in Water. [1:3] RATIO [Calcium:Magnesium] Levels )
----------> (Doesn't necessarily mean Calcium Level Drops in your water, but it can and will)
----------> Means no matter what Level your Calcium is a 1:3 Proportion of Calcium will be available for Coral Consumption.
--------------------> ie (Natural Sea water CALC=420 MAG=1280) Do the math 420 x 3.05 =1280
--------------------> So if you MAG is low like mine was 1125 (the available Calcium to corals was 1125 / 3.05 = 368, even though my Calcium was 420 after each time I topped up...... AND it kept dropping back down to around 400)

-> A General Rule (Never Raise Mag by more than 100ppm/Day) (Found on most Mag Product instructions, and the Reef Chemistry Calculator)

I had a Successful Coral Farmer once Post on my OLD Thread (Two Ratios for best SPS Coral Growth...both must be met)

that 3:1 ratio of MAG:CAL will get best coral growth results
Now I understand what he meant.....4 years later

He also said for best growth MAG:ALK ratio should be 150:1....but that's not scientific, it was just from his Coral Farm Experience.

Here was his Farm (Lighting 2400 PAR......Sunlight)
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500838

Glad I caught the MAG issues, since I'm back on track for both Coraline and SPS growth.

Excellent food for thought. Magnesium is underrated in its importance.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is doing Good (Proof) Confidence Boost over Past

A week ago I was mounting a new Frag and BROKE one of my ACRO TIPS.

In my last tank that would usually mean a bad thing. The Tip would build up algae, and took ages for anything to improve (if ever). Frags would die before I saw healing.

43857637295_1de27fa5a1_c.jpg

In this New TANK SETUP the TIP healed beautifully in a Week. Even the broken tip is mount elsewhere on rock and living.

I can't see the Frag Growing so slowly, but this is a visible positive indicator that things are doing well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Example ( Encrusting )

A boring post for most of you, but for me this is quite exciting. (since....This didn't happen to me in the past)

Encrusting IS NOT this visible everywhere. Many of the Frags are new to tank.

43861319465_b2734852a2_c.jpg

Located at BOTTOM of Tank.

Ryan Friman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Example ( Encrusting )

A boring post for most of you, but for me this is quite exciting. (since....This didn't happen to me in the past)

Encrusting IS NOT this visible everywhere. Many of the Frags are new to tank.

43861319465_b2734852a2_c.jpg

Located at BOTTOM of Tank.
I love the picture. I just put a hawkings sps deep into some epoxy thinking I made a mistake. This proves that it will be fine and will start encrusting even though it had epoxy on it. Thank you.

OP
OP
WallyB

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BORING Photo of The Day (Monti Growth)

Yep these are boring, but Close-Up Camera Compares help me see progress, I can't see with my Daily Watching.

44075107194_11e6455e7b_c.jpg

Much Better than NEGATIVE progress I had ( 1 year ago in my OLD TANK)

44745327602_479ea82105_c.jpg

And my New Forest fire in NEW TANK (Looked like Sept 26th, 2017 a few Weeks ago)...
This time is doing the opposite and almost fully recovered. (Tomorrow's Boring Photo of the Day :) )

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back