Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
I was under the impression that only a few species of heterotrophic bacteria would utilize NH+4, and even then, it was in the absence of other nitrogen-based energy sources (a condition unlikely to be encountered in an aquarium)
@Lasse ?
Also, I very much agree on the use of urchins. They’re tremendous algae grazers, they eat practically any kind of algae out there. Not sure if they eat most dinos and cyanos...they might, but that stuff grows back so fast nobody would ever know it’s been eaten.
nice, I see what you guys mean. he's really interested in discussing the cause, can't blame a guy for only dreaming about the fix heh
Really though, what part of this do you believe won't work? There really isn't much to it when broken down.I still want to see production work, how is this info useable so that res publica can get control over tank algae better than current standards. We're about to get out to a 20 page theory thread and no cures
The title lists the causative and it's well reviewed biochem wise agreed. Now to test: make five algae challenge tanks comply across genera using the opposite of this causative. Total humbling ensues to the point we remain a pure theory thread I'm thinking. By page twenty, five cures, or I'm out. I know that's no loss lol but isn't winning skeptics like the third funnest aspect of this hobby? If someone said this in my algae thread Id love the challenge and post ten works, rounded up from more than one board
Interesting.If you have asked me this a week ago you have had the answer autotrophic organisms are autotrophic and only use inorganic nutrients and heterotrophic organism are heterotrophic - using only organic nutrient. But - with the NH4/NH3 thats not true. Bacteria and many algaes are single cells organisms - it means that NH3/NH4 can penetrate the cell membrans directly - it is a part of the nitrogen transport into the cellsystems. Another funny fact is that even aminoacids can do this and thats has been shown that the cellmembran transport favor aminacids before NH3/NH4. I have had this discussion the last days with a guy at the Swedish salt water forum - his PHD thesis was about these things :) It is true for organisms that have a single cells layer between the body and water too - like the coral animal
Sincerely Lasse
Very nice write up beside all the heat, lol.
I’ve been having algae problems in my tank for a while now, I’ve been bringing my NO3 and PO4 up and down trying to find the perfect numbers to rid the algae, I’ve never thought about testing for Ammonia ever since my tank cycled but now I’m curious.
This true for NO2 and NO3 - but not for NH3/NH4 and aminoacids - they will been taken up by direct tranport trhough the cellmembrane in both bacteria, coral animal and algae. No extra enery is needed. In this case the OP is right - NH3/NH4 is the prefered species (after aminoacids that my frien high lited) of N and give the best growth result - not demand any extra energy .I don’t know enough about facilitated diffusion in bacteria to know what determines what gets in when. I know that in algae, it’s highly regulated, with something like 3 different transport protein families handling NO3 assimilation alone.
NO3 have to be changed to NH4/NH3 before transport through the cel lwals - pure NH4/NH3 and aminoacids do not need any cenversion.I would be really curious to see the transport regulation and pathways in bacteria when it comes to NH+4, NO3, AAs, etc. Going back to the algae assimilation I mentioned, the regulation is determined (if I recall correctly) by relative concentrations and varying NO3 affinities among the different transport protein.
Are you talking about in algae, or bacteria? In algae, there are two reductions to get NO3 to NH3/4 within the cytoplasm, catalyzed by two different enzymes...NO3 to NO2 by nitrate reductase, and NO2 to NH4 by nitrite reductase. That’s why the transport proteins are needed...to bring the NO3 into the algae cell.NO3 have to be changed to NH4/NH3 before transport through the cel lwals - pure NH4/NH3 and aminoacids do not need any cenversion.
Sincerely Lasse
Testing for ammonia wont yield any results. The ammonia is used up quickly after it is created, a constant revolving door of ammonia. The problem is that there is more ammonia being created than your bacteria can handle; an imbalance of bacteria to bioload.
Thats when the algae takes up the additional ammonia.
Focus on creating more bacteria, or remove some of your bioload through detritus export. Again I'll say only if you're experiencing an algae outbreak (Or more algae than is healthy for your tank, not more than you would like), as manageable amounts of algae are a good thing, and detritus is a good thing.
I'll probably write a math equation for this some day, but nobody likes math.