0   0   0
just found this on EBay.
IMG_2418.PNG

Mr.Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you’re in the competition and that things seem to be moving ahead again. Best of luck, and I’m looking forward to following along!

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terribly sorry I haven't been updating this. Short story: parents got divorced so I had to move around a lot, couldn't keep a tank during the time so didn't get to any testing. I've got all testing stuff coming in tomorrow or Tuesday though and will get some more updates around then. I'll try to be more active with this thread, but as a serious college student sometimes this can be difficult. Hope y'all are doing well!

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a resummary and catch up:
Our device works to maintain a higher copepod population within an aquarium, lowering the large tank size requirements needed for fish such as Mandarins. Hopefully, the device will be able to be compact enough to maintain a mandarin in a tank as small as 10 gallons (not making a statement on whether or not this size tank is ethical, the point of the device is only to say that the size of the tank needed won't be determined by the copepods).

The goal:
To be certain that the device works before moving on to beta testing and then marketing. The device working being defined as allowing the copepod population to reproduce to the point where a mandarin could have enough food in a 10 gallon aquarium.

The testing tank:
The testing environment will be a standard 10 gallon aquarium designed to replicate the environment of the intermediate aquarist's 10 gallon aquarium without replicating the instability inherent in a small tank. For this reason high end equipment such as an Auto Water Changer and a Vortech pump are being used to maintain good water stability and give me a good control over the flow of the tank (something I see as possibly being an important variable), but lower end equipment such as a cheap HOB filter is being used to replicate the tank. I'm using a good light (Current USA) but only because I had it lying about and didn't feel it would have an unnecessary effect on the results. The HOB filtration method is also important as, unlike a sump, it adds only a bit more space for copepod reproduction. I'll only be using a small amount of live rock as well for biological filtration.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just realized I never clarified on how we placed in the competition; we did end up winning first place.

All the tank setup stuff got here today. Gotta fill up the tank with the RO filter (the nearest fish store is an hour away and I used to have to drive there for all my water changes, its nice [and cheaper] to finally have an RO filter). I've wanted a vortech pump for a while and this ATO/Auto water changer looks amazing, it'll do wonders in eliminating the usual instability in the parameters of a small tank.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RO/DI, the water quality here can be a tad iffy and I felt it was better to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to get this thing out on the market so I can move on to developing some of my other ideas. I've got plans for making a chiller at a massively cheaper price compared to the normal ones, something to make the creation of DIY sumps much easier, and lots more I'd love to do.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I'll try to get the tank filled up, my RO/DI device claims it can do 50 gpd which means that I can likely get the tank filled up today. I don't need to fill the auto water change bucket just yet as I don't like doing water changes and cycling. Hopefully, pictures by tomorrow (pictures won't show the prototype, I'm not ready to show that off yet as I don't know if I'll have to change it).

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vortech pump is really cool but complicated. I've barely setup the Auto Water Changer but it looks even more complicated. It'll be worth it when its all set up and the tank's parameters are stable though.

OP
OP
ArowanaLover1902

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No pictures today because too many bubbles in the water, I got to let them settle first. I've got to get a filter pouch to add the carbon to the HOB.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brilliant idea, hope this works out for you! I tried a captive bred mandarin in my 20g a few months ago, sadly didnt work out. As you said, it would be nice if they were are easy to keep as clowns, they are beauts and its a shame so many beginners *yes like me* kill them because of inexperience

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back