100% Water Change

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7BB79E83-5FD2-4534-89A5-78687F4BB33F.jpeg

I thought I might as well show you this as well, just 24 hours later & all of the ammonia has been successfully removed.
Is that test under natural light?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack can we see update pic of your reef

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite test too, curious what api shows.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey is a pic update possible here J

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So in my previous thread, I had an ammonia issue that was out of hand. As suggested, I did a 100% WC and now i’m wondering when I should start adding fish back. If anyone has suggestions, let me know!
I am surprised the solution was a 100% water change but be that as it may it appears to me you now have a new uncycled tank (maybe with live rock depending upon what you did with the rock before refilling the tank). I would add Fritz Turbostart 900 (which I have used with GREAT success) and a day later add a fish or two. Monitor stats but in my case never has any ammonia or nitrite issues. Slowly add more fish and if any ammonia spikes add more Turdostart. This has worked for me multiple times.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JA

We have been able to use your thread to unstick about a hundred cycles, and with that update pic you're presenting a really clear picture / order of ops we can use to show others, I could not be more pleased
B

Arabyps is joking, in no way is that cycle affected :)

its why your fish is alive for so long

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in case not joking~
we are 100% against buying bacteria when not needed in this thread. Its ok to post the recommend, but in context where this thread is posted our readers know we dont need bacteria after cycling completed over a month ago + fish and feeding daily this whole time.

This thread is a celebration of the total predictability of cycling not the need to give our money to other sellers because a test kit read something last month. The updates here are so that we can prove his cycle was never, ever in concern.

rare to get such updates, nice one J

It is very important to know that when a cycle completes it cannot ever be undone by any degree of water change. we just proved it here, and Dr Reef used 100% water changes on every brand of bottle bac he tested to prove when they were completed cycles (90 pages worth)

We will be able to use this thread to unstick literally thousands of claimed stuck cycles, such as prior post.

No cycle stalls in reefkeeping. not a single one. J your initial tests were so disturbing this still seems like it cannot be cycled lol though we're weeks passed completing the cycle

8ppm=certain doom based on the old system, but your thread and happy tank are part of the new system for cycling. We save money on this new system and meet all required start dates.

Last edited:

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been able to use your thread to unstick about a hundred cycles, and with that update pic you're presenting a really clear picture / order of ops we can use to show others, I could not be more pleased
B

Arabyps is joking, in no way is that cycle affected :)

its why your fish is alive for so long
Brandon429 has a history. I am not joking. The fish swimming around in ammonia is not doing well.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill let Jack infer the health or non health of his fish, lateral pass.

if that fish eats, swims normal, never dies, the water stays clear, never hovers at the top panting for air (what happens when ammonia is really there vs a misread) then nobody is convinced this tank lacks ammonia control.

Jack was posting about how well its doing, not how bad its failing. does that pic above not look like literally every 2 mo old reef on the planet

Healthy skepticism is warranted here we like skepticism. The old rules of cycling are not easily bucked, it will take a thousand of these posts as a pattern to convince all skeptics.

The current views on cycling are simply wrong, that's why this reef is doing great.

we dont think api holds the total key to defining cycles, that's where we differ from other threads. they give false reads, we look only for motion down (page 1) not hard zero (all pages)

*nearly all polled reefers will hold Arabyp's view* agreed

which is why we needed the updated cycling rules and update posts to show we weren't making short term reefs.

Last edited:

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting thread. I would be intreated to see more test kits than just the one. I personally don't rely on one test for any parameters. Especially ones that have seaver consiquensies for the live stock. The API kit could be bad it happens all the time even with other brands. I think it is safe to say the safest level for any fish is 0 nh3, and we should all strive for that. Knowing the kit used was an API, (notoriouly unrelyable), and the fish appears to be in good health, I would surmize the test gave the wrong answer, and there never was a real problem, to begin with. But that is just speculation.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed Im speculating it too but its on the heels of about 200 threads like this, we move from anecdote into new rules just this way, patterns logged for independent inspection.

and if calls are made wrong, the losses and death will stand out as lack of nh3 control in any animal is just purely devastating. they can't act normal with no kidney or nephridial function/respiring organisms

I have been using this thread for weeks on end in private message links to show others how to move forward with a start date. have a nice big reef with several hundred in frags starting tomorrow because we just demonstrated the same motion as we did here.

we are literally using this thread to offshoot hundreds of new reefs.

We can also see that no reef cycle stalls, and that nitrite doesn't have a bearing whatsoever.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jack's thread is part of the new wave of cycling rules for reefing, its the clearest framing of the new rules Ive seen.

nice thread bro. fish disease w be the ongoing challenge. its that way for all new tankers.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
animals doing ok here Jack?
DFF37845-2423-44AF-B9E1-0C6818795DFE.jpeg

Doing amazing! I had a vivid clownfish but gave that one to my girlfriend because I just had to have another wyoming white! Paired within just days and I’m starting to see some signs of coralline algae! hopefully the rocks turn that pretty purple/pink color real soon!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back