OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) The new female is actually a lineatus. The rhomboid I had turned into a big, obnoxious male and I ended up selling him so that I could get a few other wrasses without having to worry about him taking them out...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :) The new female is actually a lineatus. The rhomboid I had turned into a big, obnoxious male and I ended up selling him so that I could get a few other wrasses without having to worry about him taking them out...
Ah yes I remember reading that now.. lol. Well it looks great ! Lol

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should be sleeping but instead I read through your thread...glad I found it I noticed you talking about wrasses in other threads.
WOW what a fish collection!

I am setting up a wrasse dominate red sea reefer 750 lots of space for wrasses. your regal angel does not bother your LPS?
I was going to to a butterfly and angel tank before I decided on wrasses if I could do a regal angel in there to that would be a dream!

what is your fav. mid price range fairy wrasse. I think I have 4 on my list just not sure i like the lubbocki might go with the ruby head instead.

great build you and your hubby have there.
I would re-home the jerk clowns more room for something nice!

PS I think another tank vid is in order :p

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Devaji Thank you! The regal was a must-have for the hubby, though it took 3 to get one that would eat enough to thrive. The first didn't eat at all, and the second only ate live clams and eventually passed during my ich battle.

I have very few LPS in my tank now, the potters angel was a trouble maker before I even had a chance to try the regal. Euphyllia they both leave alone, and they don't mess with the trumpet coral too much. At least not enough to stress it out. The clam gets tormented, luckily it's pretty hardy... but recently the regal has been getting a bit more aggressive with it so I might have to move that to my other tank as well. I had to remove my big trachy, my acans, and my little maxima clam because of the potters.

For fairy wrasses- I love my jordani, but not as much for his looks. Although the males ARE stunning, especially when they flash. This one is still transitioning so no displays yet, but this fish has the best personality. He's very curious and brave... even in QT he would swim right up to me if I was fiddling in the tank. If you get close to the glass he will come nose-to-nose with you. But, not an aggressive bone in his little fishy body. If someone else messes with him he just calmly gets out of the way. He's brave and chill, a good combination. I've had other jordani in the past and they were all similar in temperament... except with each other. That's the only time I've seen them become aggressive, with conspecifics.

For looks, definitely the isoceles. Although, lunate have similar orange markings and would have been my second choice if the isoceles wasn't available. The color is so bright, they almost glow. And, the lineatus was one that I've wanted since I found my love for wrasses, and was my preference over the rhomboid (although I might try another rhomboid eventually).

Some other favorites that I don't have:
roseafacia
rubrisquamis
laboutei (I've owned one in the past, some say they are very aggressive but mine was not)
efatensis/bathyphilus

Rare, high-end ones that I'll probably just dream/drool over for the rest of my life:
johnsoni
claire
earlei
lanceolatus

I'm also a huge fan of leopard wrasses. Pretty much all of them. I love how they cruise in and out of the rockwork. Very similar in swimming/behavior to halichoerus, but less obnoxious and less risk to your CUC lol

Last edited:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are so many amazing wrasses it's hard to choose.
I love leopard wrasse to I just hope they ship well and eat I might try to find some of divers den..we will see

hmmm I love LPS so better not try the regal angel :(

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i LOVE your wrasse collection! I currently have a Moyer leopard and a yellow tail tamarin wrasse in the DT, with a carpenter flasher wrasse and an isoceles fairy in the QT (fingers crossed)... I also had a canary wrasse that was purchased as a sweet 1.5" female, that later turned into a 4" male; he was tank boss terror. Alas - lost him to carpet surfing. :( Here is a pic of my Moyer - beautiful. not sure if that is the male or female colors tough. Mine is super timid.

leopard.jpg

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful photo, with the prominent face mask, I’d say he’s a male. My moyer’s likes to pal around with the fairy wrasses, and is right down at the bottom rung with the black leopard.

The chrysus is definitely the boss wrasse...though he doesn’t bother with the meleagris, really. You can see him keeping the moyer’s and black leopard away from the algae clip in the first clip lol

tenurepro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful photo, with the prominent face mask, I’d say he’s a male. My moyer’s likes to pal around with the fairy wrasses, and is right down at the bottom rung with the black leopard.

The chrysus is definitely the boss wrasse...though he doesn’t bother with the meleagris, really. You can see him keeping the moyer’s and black leopard away from the algae clip in the first clip lol

Perhaps my Moyer will buddy up with the fairy wrasse ! Team orange pink :)

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow absolutely beautiful! Must have been disappointing and hard after the tank crash, but man you didn’t let that slow you down. Well done!

It’s definitely disheartening when something like that happens. Sitting there filling up a 5-gallon bucket with SPS skeletons... it’s enough to give you nightmares.

But, nothing you can do but keep plugging ahead. Doing whatever we could to minimize losses while getting the tank stabilized again. I’m still missing a few of those corals, the pink lemonade has always been a personal favorite so I’ll have to track down another. Also lost a nice chunky frag of OP, that stung.

Thank you for your encouragement, it was worth not giving up :)

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9165104e1caec1ec7daf23e419f6a1eb.jpg

What is this one? They are all gorgeous but this one I don't recognize. Beautiful.

It’s an “open brain”:
https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/432/?pcatid=432

I actually ended up selling that one, I moved it out of the DT to my other tank because the angel kept picking at it. But, then decided it was a waste In that tank and deserved to be front and center in someone else’s display. It was huge by the time I sold it!
93b1fd233c3b61f6be908fc0aa4156d5.jpg

Last edited:

TVV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an “open brain”:
https://m.liveaquaria.com/product/432/?pcatid=432

I actually ended up selling that one, I moved it out of the DT to my other tank because the angel kept picking at it. But, then decided it was a waste In that tank and deserved to be front and center in someone else’s display. It was huge by the time I sold it!
93b1fd233c3b61f6be908fc0aa4156d5.jpg
Wholly brain! That's huge. And beatiful. Great job. I would have ate the fish!

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, not very good update for today. My “female” lineatus is going rogue. I think she’s turning male and not taking it so well with the two other male fairy wrasses.

She’s been chasing the pintail and keeping him kind of in the top corner of the tank. And yesterday, she started going after the flame. Just chasing and chasing, non-stop. I was luckily able to catch her this morning, but my poor flame looks like he just came out of a war-zone.

So, I’m moving her back to QT while we decide what I want to do... Hubby is thinking about making a top for the frag tank as a back-up, but we may just end up looking for a new home where she could be the only fairy wrasse.... or a much bigger tank.

OP
OP
ngoodermuth

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have one good update, our Reef Octopus skimmer worked “ok”...but every so often would throw a little tantrum and start to overflow randomly, dumping skimmate back into the tank. And could be really tricky to get dialed in properly.

So, tax return time for us = a bit of an upgrade. It’s sort of overkill on the 120, but we went bigger since my hubby would like to eventually plumb this tank to the basement and into the nem/frag tank system. Rated for 240-300ish gallons I believe, so should still be good then.

Bubble Magus Curve D9. So far, it’s working really well.
0cce76654f8733a33390ec4e41769595.jpg

Last edited:
Back