14 inch sohal seriously hurt itself

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My show fish has seriously hurt itself. It scrapped itself on both sides of its body and face. Perhaps it got stuck going through an opening in the live rock too small for it. It's now hanging out in the middle of the tank listless. Im concerned it will die of a baterial infection secondary to its wounds. I dont know how I'd catch it if I need to treat it; it is not interested in food. I dont have enough antibiotics to treat 900 gallons of water, and I dont want to crash the tank for the other inhabitants. Attached is an image.

IMG_20200618_085021__01.jpg

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think you know the fish has to be removed and treated in a seperate tank
this would certainly be ideal. I just don't see how it's going to happen. Its in a 720 gallon 4 foot deep tank and the aquascape is cemented together. If it isn't interested in food I can't entice it to get into a fish trap.

The tank is fairly new and doesn't have corals yet. I'd consider treating the whole tank if it wouldnt' cause a crash and I could get enough antibiotics.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly all joking aside, a tank that big I’d consider getting in the tank so I could hopefully get it to one side or the other while someone else nets it

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nor do I have access to a witch doctor.

Sorry for the sohal troubles but that made me laugh .... perfect response. 15” sohal must quite a handful. Mine went ‘insane’ at about 10”.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in the tank? I’d give it a day or two to see how it looks before doing anything drastic. If it’s otherwise healthy and well established I think it could heal up on it own. Pulling a fish that is that big and putting it in a too small QT will probably do more harm than good IMO. I wouldn’t treat the display either.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it can be difficult to treat the whole tank with a true antibiotic. I would consider herbal antibiotics like Melafix. These can be purchased in large sizes for pond use quite affordably. I would also encourage the use of UV on such a large tank with display fish. I have seen melafix save many fish from bacterial infections and would certainly give it a try.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Saltwater fish tend to heal themselves quickly. One thing that will help in healing is melafix. Works quickly and effectively

OP
OP
S

Seneca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the sohal troubles but that made me laugh .... perfect response. 15” sohal must quite a handful. Mine went ‘insane’ at about 10”.

It was flagging last night, and I got in the tank hoping that I could gently coax it into a transfer container. This wasn't unreasonable; when I originally moved it into this present tank it literally let me pick it up from its old tank and put it in the transfer bucket as it munched on nori out of my hand. But it wasn't having it and went into the rockwork as I expected, I didn't press the matter as I didn't want to stress it any more. I designed my aquascape with plenty of places for fish to hide and feel safe, but also with just enough room on each side that I can get in when necessary.

If I had anywhere near enough antibiotics I probably would have treated the whole tank last night.

The sohal didn't make it. This morning when I woke up it was dead.

The sohal was my best fish. It would eat out of my hand and let me pet it. It was the tank boss, but not violent, I think it was secure in its position and always had plenty to eat. It also broke up any tussles between any of the others, hopefully they don't start fighting now.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was flagging last night, and I got in the tank hoping that I could gently coax it into a transfer container. This wasn't unreasonable; when I originally moved it into this present tank it literally let me pick it up from its old tank and put it in the transfer bucket as it munched on nori out of my hand. But it wasn't having it and went into the rockwork as I expected, I didn't press the matter as I didn't want to stress it any more. I designed my aquascape with plenty of places for fish to hide and feel safe, but also with just enough room on each side that I can get in when necessary.

If I had anywhere near enough antibiotics I probably would have treated the whole tank last night.

The sohal was my best fish. It would eat out of my hand and let me pet it. It was the tank boss, but not violent, I think it was secure in its position and always had plenty to eat. It also broke up any tussles between any of the others, hopefully they don't start fighting now.

Definitely sucks to hear but if it died that quickly there probably isn’t anything that you could have done to save it.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry for your loss. Sounds like you have him a great life while he was with you.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If it died within 24 hours then even if you caught and medicated, wouldn't have made a difference. Very unfortunate to see such a beautiful fish pass away, sorry for the loss. Mine is around 4" right now and full of personality, would hate to lose him.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss OP, I was hoping it would make it. It was a beautiful fish and I’m sure you took great care of it. I feel you as I myself would hate to lose any single one of my fish. I hope you can move forward from this as well as possible. We’re living in strange times, so many bad things far beyond the “big” ones seem to be happening recently.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 52 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back