140 Gallon Stocking 60x18x30

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on getting my first saltwater aqarium, however I have 3 freshwater aquariums already (Up To 135 Gallons) so I'm not a complete beginner, and I would really appreciate some help with peaceful Stocking in my 60x18x30 140 Gallon tank. I definitely want a Snowflake Eel and a Yellow Tang. (As Long As They Will Be Happy In My Tank) Feel free to recommend any fish that will work with my options, and coral as I want some nice coral as well. Also if you can, please tell me what your recommended fish eat. Thank You.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly its hard to tell you what fish to get as its a big tank and you could get most reef fish out there. And its all about personal preference. I would recommend going out to your local saltwater fish store and browsing there selection and see what you like and dont like and than do you research on every fish. Just a general idea I would probably keep away from large angelfish and butterflies if you want to do a reef tank. Look into some other tangs, I would say you could probably fit 3 of them in your tank and than look into reef safe triggers, gobies, clowns, foxface, wrasse, and hawkfish. You could get a variety of shapes, sizes, and characteristics in this size tank. Once you have a list you can post on here and people can give you input on the good and bad of your list. For coral since this is your first reef tank I would focus on making sure you have stable parameters and maintenance schedule in the first few months. Than you can add corals but I would stick to softies for now as they are the easiest and most forgiving. Down the road you could add lps or sps. All depends on lighting and flow. For food I would personally recommend frozen food like mysis, brine, krill or refrigerated liquid food like from Reef Nutrition or Aquaforest. Personally I feel these food replicate more natural diet of fish. You will also need seaweed or nori for the tangs and you can try pellet or dry food. However pellet food is packed with nutrients which can increase nitrate and phosphate and not all fish eat it.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, quick question Tangs are kind of like plecos in freshwater right? They eat the algae, get big, but also need real food? Would a Yellow, and Tomini tang work along with a Snowflake Eel. Also, are African Fire Hawks aggressive or can they go with the other fish. One final question, I know in freshwater for most fish like plecos (They Are My Favorite) the footprint of a tank is more important than the total gallons, is this true in saltwater too, or do the fish like a good height as well.

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, quick question Tangs are kind of like plecos in freshwater right? They eat the algae, get big, but also need real food? Would a Yellow, and Tomini tang work along with a Snowflake Eel. Also, are African Fire Hawks aggressive or can they go with the other fish. One final question, I know in freshwater for most fish like plecos (They Are My Favorite) the footprint of a tank is more important than the total gallons, is this true in saltwater too, or do the fish like a good height as well.
With that size tank a yellow tang and tomini tang would most likely be fine. For multiple tangs you need one a big tank and than it is said tang needs to be from different species which is basically different body styles.

I dont have experience with hawkfish

The footprint sometimes depends. For coral, lighting is key and the bigger the footprint the more light you need and the deeper the tank the stronger the light you need. For fish like tang footprint matters as long as the tank is long enough for them to swim, for tang minimum of 4 feet and more recommended 6 feet, and have enough room to turn.

OP
OP
S

Snowythesnowflakeeel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that size tank a yellow tang and tomini tang would most likely be fine. For multiple tangs you need one a big tank and than it is said tang needs to be from different species which is basically different body styles.

I dont have experience with hawkfish

The footprint sometimes depends. For coral, lighting is key and the bigger the footprint the more light you need and the deeper the tank the stronger the light you need. For fish like tang footprint matters as long as the tank is long enough for them to swim, for tang minimum of 4 feet and more recommended 6 feet, and have enough room to turn.
Ok Thanks, so 2 tangs, an eel, a valentine puffer, 2 clownfish and 2 flame angels would work?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TBH these are not a good set of dimensions for a 60” or 5-foot tank. I would have certainly gone the standard 5’ x 2’ x 2’ (60 x 24 x 24) plus a 24” tall instead of a 30” tall is much easier to reach and clean for many people. Having said this, I’m not sure about most predatory fish like eels and that, but assuming a 5 x 2 x 2 I think you could do 2 Tangs, I’d pick a Zebrasoma (excluding the Sailfins) and either a Bristletooth or a smaller Acanthurus species like the Lavender.

As for other fish, I’d definitely be keen on a few angels. In fact if given the choice between foregoing Angels altogether or foregoing Tangs altogether I’d choose Angels any day. A 5 x 2 x 2 would be able to fit the following:

Smaller Genicanthus species (Spot Breast, Watanabei’s, Bellus being the accessible ones)

Any Centropyge / Paracentropyge

Smaller Chaetodontoplus (Blue Spotted, Singapore, Black Velvet)

Maybe something like an Apolemichthys too (Bandits are inaccessible for the most part because- Hawaii, but I think a Gold Flake which is being captive bred could make a great showpiece fish)

You could also do smaller butterflies (subgenus Roaps, Prognathodes) and a Copperband if you find a healthy one and you’re lucky enough to get it to eat and put on weight.

If this was my tank and I had the full range of CB options available to me, I’d probably get a pair of Coral Beauties from Biota, have a Gold Flake as my showpiece fish, a small Genicanthus or smaller Chaetodontoplus, and fill the rest with smaller fish like wrasses, basslets, damsels, Clown pair and so on.

However, I do think 2 Tangs is about right for a 5 x 2 x 2.

But I’d urge you to consider 60 x 24 x 24 for a start rather than 60 x 18 x 30, the 18” width is awkward.

Edit: You might want to consider the RSR 650 which is 60” x 26” x 24” and gives a volume of about 155 gallons.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back