14gal Biocube Stocking?

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if there are any single predatory fish or invertebrates that can live comfortably alone in a 14gal biocube aio?

I'm considering a small mantis shrimp but I'm interested in what other options are out there

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up stocking yours with?
I haven’t yet. I have a 4 stripe damsel whose pushing 12 and I don’t want to stock it until he dies. When he does I’m going for the wartskin. Specifically the orange and white one: I’ve stocked the tabk with coral close to those colors so it’ll keep the camo pattern I like

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a warty in a tank that small, but they are pretty sedentary. It seems to be a slippery slope though, I used to recommend a 20g, then they came out with these 18g aio and I said yeah ok. Then came the 16g, yeah that seems ok, since my experience with the warty has been they really are not that active. This with their feeding habits, a smaller tank seemed to be best. Now we are at the 14g, that's getting borderline, I wouldn't be be like "no way", but you would have to use your own discretion on that. Just create a very creative scape; open sandbed for cruising and multiple levels for climbing and perching.

There are some small mantis shrimp, but the peacock needs a larger tank, in the 40g range. I kept a small mantis in a refugium once, I didn't see much of him. There is a Mantis forum here you could check out for some ideas.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a warty in a tank that small, but they are pretty sedentary. It seems to be a slippery slope though, I used to recommend a 20g, then they came out with these 18g aio and I said yeah ok. Then came the 16g, yeah that seems ok, since my experience with the warty has been they really are not that active. This with their feeding habits, a smaller tank seemed to be best. Now we are at the 14g, that's getting borderline, I wouldn't be be like "no way", but you would have to use your own discretion on that. Just create a very creative scape; open sandbed for cruising and multiple levels for climbing and perching.

There are some small mantis shrimp, but the peacock needs a larger tank, in the 40g range. I kept a small mantis in a refugium once, I didn't see much of him. There is a Mantis forum here you could check out for some ideas.
Honestly I think my 16 biocube may be pushing it. I’m not sure how “chunky” wart skins are but if they’re thick it would be hard for one to cruise quickly with my rock scape. I think you’d have to do a really tiny rock scape in a 14 and I may need to change mine if I go that route

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a warty in a tank that small, but they are pretty sedentary. It seems to be a slippery slope though, I used to recommend a 20g, then they came out with these 18g aio and I said yeah ok. Then came the 16g, yeah that seems ok, since my experience with the warty has been they really are not that ac

tive. This with their feeding habits, a smaller tank seemed to be best. Now we are at the 14g, that's getting borderline, I wouldn't be be like "no way", but you would have to use your own discretion on that. Just create a very creative scape; open sandbed for cruising and multiple levels for climbing and perching.

I appreciate the advice! I definitely do not plan on forcing any organism to be put in an undersized tank. I am just curious if there are any nano or tiny sized predatory fish or inverts besides mantis shrimp.
If not, I will most likely stock the tank with a small mantis sp. Cheers!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these guys if you can find one. In a 14g it would be best to keep just one, they are rather cryptic, although my white face female is out all the time. A bonded pair would be fine, otherwise they are loners and can get territorial with each other. They are small enough you could keep a number of other fish with them safely.

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are these guys if you can find one. In a 14g it would be best to keep just one, they are rather cryptic, although my white face female is out all the time. A bonded pair would be fine, otherwise they are loners and can get territorial with each other. They are small enough you could keep a number of other fish with them safely.

Appreciate the help! How are yours doing at the moment?

OP
OP
RussianReefer

RussianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the look of sand dwelling fish like scorpions and anglers. Just seeing what is available to live comfortably. If I find one I'll most likely order it through my lfs.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can fit one of these guys.
97D20D25-E1E6-49F5-B61A-8F1E9979A644.jpeg

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the help! How are yours doing at the moment?

It depends on your take; my white face girl is very cool, she is out all the time and is very bold. She quickly eats from hemostats when I want to hand feed her, and she catches little chunks of food when I broadcast feed the tank. The other two live under the rocks; I never see one and the other one shows up from time to time. I do see both very infrequently so I know they are both alive. They must feed from the food that swirls around the back of the rocks and the live ghost shrimp they manage to catch. While I enjoy them, they are not for everyone. As are all of the ambush predators, they are a sedentary bunch that sparks enjoyment from a few. The coolest part is feeding them, as I have stated many times, I do advocate for a live diet with these species of predators.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back