OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So put a purple tang in with the bristletooth, first 10min i thought that bristletooth will kill the purple, got him in corner and started biting and tried to scalpel him with his tail. Even the coral beauty tried to attack him.
Purple hid in a rock.

Next day to my my surprise all are friends and swimming hapily together. :)

Will post some pictures soon, when i have some free time.

Since no3 and po4 were 0 i did not clean sand. Since them andadding fish i got red turf algae and some green algae on sand.
Yesterday removed some of it.
But what should i do to battle it?

1.Wait it out - gets worse.

2.Feed more.

3.Dose hydrogen peroxide.

Running full fm zeolight system.

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the interesting part that algae only grows on one side of the tank which has more flow.

itisjp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO can nuke phosphate for the hair algae but start off slow with it if you choose to run it. I have hair algae in my refungium and so far can control it with running GFO for a few days. You will see it start to shrink but if you have macro algae you want, pay attention to it’s health. Reducing phosphate will affect your macro algae. It will start to melt and turn lighter shade of green to brown once it starts to dieing off. It also gets easier to pull off the rocks. Once it starts changing color pick out as much as you can manually.

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can i run gfo even if my po4 and no3 reads 0?

I know i have some phosphates and nitrates which are absorbed by the algae, could it hurt my system if i run gfo as it could reduce po4 too low?

A plucked the red turf, it was coming off really good on some places and was a lighter color.

But closer to sand it was almost immpossible to get a chunk of it off the rock. So some part of algae is dying. That is good i guess :)

itisjp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can run it, it doesn’t always test if you have algae. But if anything needs phosphate like macro, or coral then it can strip too much out. So use it with care, start with a little then next round add more if you don’t get good results. Usually it don’t take much ... maybe half of what’s called for on your tank volume or a quarter. See how it reacts over a few days. Once it gets easy to pull or changes colors it’s starting to weaken. Pull as much as you can manually and stop dosing it. Then try again in a few weeks to a month if algae is still a problem. If you don’t have any coral yet should be ok.

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can run it, it doesn’t always test if you have algae. But if anything needs phosphate like macro, or coral then it can strip too much out. So use it with care, start with a little then next round add more if you don’t get good results. Usually it don’t take much ... maybe half of what’s called for on your tank volume or a quarter. See how it reacts over a few days. Once it gets easy to pull or changes colors it’s starting to weaken. Pull as much as you can manually and stop dosing it. Then try again in a few weeks to a month if algae is still a problem. If you don’t have any coral yet should be ok.

I do have corals, some 15 sps couple of lps aswell. I will monitor algae for couple of weeks. If it gets out of controll i will try adding gfo. Im planning to launch a frag tank so in approx 2months i will add more corals to outcompete the algae, that i think could help.

Thanks for the advice :)

OP
OP
roberts01

roberts01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far i am quite satisfied with my build. Trying to figure if i need to increase nitrates and phosphates a bit because they both are 0.
Cut back on awc to 0.8% a day and decreased fm ultra min S to half. Will see if that helps or not.

Also ran in to dictyota algae outbreak and trying beat it with api algaefix - currently on 4 dose and already see some progress. It is becoming easier to pluck it and grows slower. How many times more should i dose it?

Also bought a emerald crab which i believe does nothing. Can see him on my sps sleeping or doing something(sps looks ok so he is not eating it :) )

And my two talbots are back in the tank. As soon as i put them in they were heavily chased by bristletooth tang. He was mad as hell and made one jump out of the tank. Glad i was there to put him back in. Next day they both were hiding and as soon as they popped out of the rock - midas, coral beauty, bristletooth were trying to eat them. But 3rd day all was good. And for my surprise they were not harassing clowns any more. :)

DSC_2905.JPG
DSC_2453.JPG
DSC_2718.JPG
DSC_2762.JPG

DSC_2317.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back