OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice equipment! I'm also just starting my Reefer XL 425 build and have several of the same components from your list. I'll be curious to hear how you like the AquaSmart ATO & AWC. I was originally planning to purchase that, but at the last minute I went with the Neptune ATK and DOS for AWC since I had so many of the other Neptune modules and just wanted everything in the same control portal.

Following...
@SuncrestReef Well I will be straight forward on this one. I was researching one night and for the life of me I cant remember where but someone had a very bad experience with the neptune ATK that made me pretty nervous to give it a shot. I have 3 DOS pumps myself and I am curious that I talked myself out of the ATK too soon. In my experience the Neptune products are rock solid but I was also curious with having a stand alone Aquasmart ATO and AWC. my first thoughts are the pumps are very small but according to their site that they can handle 6.5 ft worth of head pressure. I am setting up the AWC in the basement based off of that measurement so I will let you know... but the ATO is awesome with the optics rather than a float valve... So far I am happy with the decision I made but time with tell

Last edited:

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Simplicity 240 skimmer and Vectra M1 on the used forum here. Also have a MP40. Just a single XR 30 pro g3 for now, I have another on my other tank which will move when the fish and coral in it move to the 425.

I have a cobalt 300w neotherm heater in the sump. I originally had it plugged into a Finnex controller as a safeguard if the heater ever stuck in an on position. I have the heater set for 78 and the controller set to 82 so theoretically its outlet would always be on unless the heater overheated or water just got too warm in summer. However I noticed that the controller’s power led would show it turning off power to the heater regardless occasionally. I’m in the process getting a warranty replacement for Finnex however I may just keep the heater in a normal outlet and just use the controller’s temp probe for its warning alarms. Cobalt support told me that if the controller would toggle the power on and off frequently, it may damage the heater’s thermostat due its outlet type.

The other tank has a BRS gfo/carbon reactor and a lifeguard bio pellet reactor. Debating if/when I move those over. Guess I’ll watch how my nitrates are for the bio pellets decision.

I put a chemipure bag in each mesh filter sock along with some floss. Not sure if a dedicated carbon reactor would do any better?

A algae scrubber intrigues me.

Still need to put in my order for my screen top.

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a Simplicity 240 skimmer and Vectra M1 on the used forum here. Also have a MP40. Just a single XR 30 pro g3 for now, I have another on my other tank which will move when the fish and coral in it move to the 425.

I have a cobalt 300w neotherm heater in the sump. I originally had it plugged into a Finnex controller as a safeguard if the heater ever stuck in an on position. I have the heater set for 78 and the controller set to 82 so theoretically its outlet would always be on unless the heater overheated or water just got too warm in summer. However I noticed that the controller’s power led would show it turning off power to the heater regardless occasionally. I’m in the process getting a warranty replacement for Finnex however I may just keep the heater in a normal outlet and just use the controller’s temp probe for its warning alarms. Cobalt support told me that if the controller would toggle the power on and off frequently, it may damage the heater’s thermostat due its outlet type.

The other tank has a BRS gfo/carbon reactor and a lifeguard bio pellet reactor. Debating if/when I move those over. Guess I’ll watch how my nitrates are for the bio pellets decision.

I put a chemipure bag in each mesh filter sock along with some floss. Not sure if a dedicated carbon reactor would do any better?

A algae scrubber intrigues me.

Still need to put in my order for my screen top.
@Philt56 That is a solid setup and game plan for the move...you have a controller on the tank? I like the idea of an algae scrubber. I am still thinking through ideas on the sump and how I want to plumb it. I have a chiller but on the side of the tank so that will be interesting to do... I want to make this as clean looking as I can

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Philt56 That is a solid setup and game plan for the move...you have a controller on the tank? I like the idea of an algae scrubber. I am still thinking through ideas on the sump and how I want to plumb it. I have a chiller but on the side of the tank so that will be interesting to do... I want to make this as clean looking as I can
No apex or anything like that. The Finnex controller is what they sell to control their titanium heaters that don’t have any thermostat built in. I bought is as a safety check to turn off the cobalt heater if it malfunctioned.

Btw, Cobalt said if I plugged it into an apex to make sure I used only outlet 4 or 8 which are mechanical. The others are triac which he says don’t completely turn off current and are bad for the heaters circuitry.

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Philt56 Thats good info... I had my heater on the 6th outlet of the apex... Time to change that when I get home!

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to watching this progress. I spent 13 yrs traveling for work so I know your pain. I just took a job with no travel an my first reef tank since 2007 is up and running. SPS of course lol.

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ibacha dude! That is one cool looking tank you have in your signature... so glad I don’t have to travel (as much) anymore. Still have to hit the streets every once in awhile. I have to head to Pittsburgh next week for a conference but that’s all I have on the books for awhile. SPS is the best! Although I really am considering a bubble tip anemone. It’s early enough that I can put one in and maaaaaybe it will set in

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ibacha dude! That is one cool looking tank you have in your signature... so glad I don’t have to travel (as much) anymore. Still have to hit the streets every once in awhile. I have to head to Pittsburgh next week for a conference but that’s all I have on the books for awhile. SPS is the best! Although I really am considering a bubble tip anemone. It’s early enough that I can put one in and maaaaaybe it will set in

This is why I did a display fuge, I was just talking to my fiancé about adding a bubble tip for our clown fish down there. I have the best of both worlds. The display tank is all sps and the fuge is filled with Xenia with some lps and polyps to boot

e4ae2f85aa8a74f18ab3fa241c82ef25.jpg

Link to my build thread

8g SPS Nano - Updated

https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/8g-SPS-Nano---Updated.359184/

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks I was limited on space as I live in an apartment and I already have a 75g vivarium, 25g cube high tech planted tank and a few other tanks with random stuff. I'd love a basement to put a huge display tank in

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5332.jpg

So a quick update... I have added a ton to this tank from the beginning. Its been awhile since I updated but I feel that I finally have some updates to share. I have added a good amount of equipment and decided to switch to Red Sea salt blue bucket and its been a welcomed change to say the least. Once I saw that I opted to dosing the Red Sea Program (A,B,C and Trace A,B,C and D). No NOPOx as I have put together a pretty decent refugium. Also, I have began dosing Nitrate (Hoping this is temporary as I would like the nitrates to come from the fish). And...I have 5 DOS pumps set up... yes, 5... I am trying to tweak this and make this tank as efficient as possible.

As for the fish... Everyone is happy and healthy. I am hoping to post some pictures once my GF sends me the ones she took (Shes a professional photographer so it has to be perfect in order to post it lol)

Current fish list:

Randall's Assessor
Purple FireFish
Baby Magnificent Foxface
Yellow tang
Lyretail male Anthias
Midas Blenny (yes... he and the anthias went at it at first but now tolerate one another)
Black picasso Clownfish
White Wyoming Clownfish
Bluestar Leopard Wrasse

Equipment Added:

A TON:

order 3 more DOS units
Kessil H380
Banshee carbon reactor (have installed but not used it yet)
2 x Maxspect Gyre 150's
a third AI Hydra 26HD
TopLids custom fusion lid
Apex Feeder - Set to go off twice a day at the second lowest setting.

Current sump... Its been messy with the cheato growth
IMG_5331.jpg

and the last piece of info... I have ordered a Dastaco Calcium reactor! Very excited for this piece of equipment to come in!

Thanks for spotting by!

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jsker Any chance you know what this one is? Hoping it has a cool name lol
Possibly a red dragon.

I the coral pink and I am seen the blue light? or does the coral have pink tips and blue body?

OP
OP
1Blazer

1Blazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a red dragon.

I the coral pink and I am seen the blue light? or does the coral have pink tips and blue body?

light blue body with pink polyps... Not sure its a red dragon just because of the structure

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back