2 Prime HD's or single Hydra 26?

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between 2 primes or a Hydra for a JBJ45. Dimensions are 26.5" x 21" x 19".

I figure the primes will allow more possible spread, but worried about power versus the Hydra.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get 2 Primes. They are exactly the same as the Hydra's, just 1 puck instead of 2. The primes will give you better coverage by spreading them further apart.

SoggyNW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For that size tank I would think either would work. The Hydra will probably be a bit cheaper but the 2 primes will be more flexible if you upgrade your tank later.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get 2 Primes. They are exactly the same as the Hydra's, just 1 puck instead of 2. The primes will give you better coverage by spreading them further apart.
This. Seems like a lot of people don't realize this. Fortunately the 16HD, 32HD, etc. has made it easier to show.

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why for some reason I thought the Hydra was more powerful for depth, but I could be totally wrong. If they're the same lights as a Prime, just 2, then I'll definitely go that route.

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide between 2 primes or a Hydra for a JBJ45. Dimensions are 26.5" x 21" x 19".

I figure the primes will allow more possible spread, but worried about power versus the Hydra.
Two primes. I have the 26 over the same tank. If the budget allows, I would go with two 26’s. I have my 26 on the ab+ setting and constantly try to grab more light. I wish it had more spread coverage. My vote is for the two primes

EE0B443E-8652-43EA-9A2B-3B92FCD043AD.jpeg

Caccamo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i pop up this thread, because i took a similar tank (25,6"x19,7"x19,7) and i have a single prime HD from another tank aviable.
The tank would be a Mix tank with easy SPS/LPS/ZOA, what's the optimal solution?
- 2 x Prime HD (i have to buy only one Prime)
- 2 x Hydra 26 HD ( i have to buy two Hydra 26HD)
- 1 x Hydra 52 HD (i have to buy one Hydra 52HD)
- Other options I haven't thought of...

Thank you

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting a used Hydra 52 HD for a pretty good deal and have more than enough light now. Lol
Honestly, it may be too much, but it'll give me something to use whenever I upgrade tanks since I got that planned by end of the year when we move.
Whatever you do, I just recommend adjusting the lights really low and working them up for the corals slowly. On the Hydra, I've had to go REAL slow on adjusting the light even close to a half of what I had the Prime at. Originally, I had set it on my original schedule at like 60/70% and almost bleached a shroom and really upset a hammer. I moved stuff around in the tank and ended up changing the schedule and probably have them running 35-40% peak honestly and things have been really happy.
I will say the nice thing about getting another light, if you end up replacing the Prime, is now I got a light for a second tank I picked up over the weekend. ;Hilarious

Caccamo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
What do you have in tank? Sps? Or only lps/softie?!
My doubt is one day if I want to push me over (hard sps like acros) 2x prime HD will be enough or not?
Anyway what light schedule do you use with your hydra?
thank you

45ZoaGarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydra 26 over my jbj45 with nearly identical dimensions and have no problem with acros. I’m using a modified ab+ setup. 2 primes would be enough. The would be better than a single 26 because they’d give you better spread :)
Nice!
My doubt is one day if I want to push me over (hard sps like acros) 2x prime HD will be enough or not?
thank you

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!
thank you
I have mostly LPS and some softies, got my first SPS last week. My plan is to do SPS probably top 3rd of tank or so.
If you plan to do SPS, I'm sure since you can get pretty decent spread, two Primes ought to do it, just probably have to place them higher up.
I run an edited Saxby's schedule and been pretty happy with it. I dialed back a lot of stuff though and the whites a bit. At around 5/6 pm it switches to just blues/violet/ and some UV for the last 4 hours.

Caccamo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my actual schedule.
BADA3F70-B813-4FC9-8338-C559C7EACC1B.jpeg
Before add many sps I was running at 40% CW peak. I don’t know if saxby is the most appropriate schedule! I see many go with AB+ schedule.

Caccamo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hydra 26 over my jbj45 with nearly identical dimensions and have no problem with acros. I’m using a modified ab+ setup. 2 primes would be enough. The would be better than a single 26 because they’d give you better spread :)
Can you share your schedule?
And plz let me see your tank

OP
OP
Reefer37

Reefer37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my actual schedule.
BADA3F70-B813-4FC9-8338-C559C7EACC1B.jpeg
Before add many sps I was running at 40% CW peak. I don’t know if saxby is the most appropriate schedule! I see many go with AB+ schedule.
Honestly I see a lot of both. Mine pretty much switches to the AB+ setting after 5/6pm. Overall, been happy with it, but still new so I'm always learning.

Back