20 gal Reef Tank

Mario1403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to Marine Tank and Saltwater aquariums and looking forward to share stories and learn about different techniques and tips for my 20 gal reef tank.

I'm currently having a huge problem with the Tank. All my fish (2 Clowns, 2 blue Damsels and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby) died within 32 hours. I suspect that I have Ich or Velvet infestation. The Watchman Goby and the Clowns became very pale, while the damsels show yellowish spots on them (now they are dead ).
My Hermit Crabs, Cleaner Shrimp and Snails seem to be OK, as well as my one corral I have so far in the Tank.

I've read multiple posts on this forum and found valuable information. So, I will go fallow today and wait for 76 days before adding fish to the tank again.
However, I am uncertain about the copper treatment: is it necessary to treat with copper if the tank is fallow?
Another question I had, is it sufficient to feed the corals and inverts with my pellets every 3-4 days?

Thank you in advance for the tips and help!
-M

Berlibee

.Wen Game.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! ;)

Welcome_ReefHacks.jpg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
If the fish died that fast velvet would be my guess.
To be clear the display tank goes without fish for 76 days, and all new fish are treated in a separate tank for 30 days in copper. You never want to dose copper or any other meds into your display tank. It has to be a separate tank far away from the main display that does not come into contact with the main tank.

OP
OP
M

Mario1403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, welcome to R2R! What were your water parameters in the 32 hours leading upto the fish dying ? How often were you doing water changes on your 20G? What's your filtration setup?
Hello Triple.T,

My Water Perimeters:
Salinity: 34ppt
Ph: 8.2
Ammonia: 0.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: below 5ppm
Temperature: 77.4F

I only use RO/DI water, which I filter myself with an RO/DI system under my sink. I mix the saltwater with Fritz Reef Pro Salt to 33-34ppt.

I have an external filter "Aqueon 10 quiet flow", exchanging the filter and ammonia reducing sponge every 4 weeks. I usually do a water change every 7 - 10 days, as well as weekly water tests, but the last one I was slacking and didn't change for 3 weeks. I did an immediate 50% water change after seeing the ammonia going up yesterday, after the first clown was found dead. The other fish seemed to be happier after the change, but this morning I found all of them dead :(.

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am new to Marine Tank and Saltwater aquariums and looking forward to share stories and learn about different techniques and tips for my 20 gal reef tank.

I'm currently having a huge problem with the Tank. All my fish (2 Clowns, 2 blue Damsels and 1 Yellow Watchman Goby) died within 32 hours. I suspect that I have Ich or Velvet infestation. The Watchman Goby and the Clowns became very pale, while the damsels show yellowish spots on them (now they are dead ).
My Hermit Crabs, Cleaner Shrimp and Snails seem to be OK, as well as my one corral I have so far in the Tank.

I've read multiple posts on this forum and found valuable information. So, I will go fallow today and wait for 76 days before adding fish to the tank again.
However, I am uncertain about the copper treatment: is it necessary to treat with copper if the tank is fallow?
Another question I had, is it sufficient to feed the corals and inverts with my pellets every 3-4 days?

Thank you in advance for the tips and help!
-M

Welcome to the R2R Family…Great to have you

…Explore…Learn…Share---Practice Patience

bf6.gif

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Mario !!! Sorry for what you're going thru. Good advise from our fellow reefers on waiting 76 days and not putting meds on the DT. Now, I will change the filter pad at least once a week and a 10% w/c weekly on that size tank.

OP
OP
M

Mario1403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R Mario !!! Sorry for what you're going thru. Good advise from our fellow reefers on waiting 76 days and not putting meds on the DT. Now, I will change the filter pad at least once a week and a 10% w/c weekly on that size tank.
Hello spyder813,

10% would be enough? I will take this advice! Thank you!
I am also planning to exchange all buckets I had to new ones, to be sure I am not re-introducing the disease into the tank.

OP
OP
M

Mario1403

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, 10% a week will be enough to replace some elements. Also, do you have an ATO?
No, I top of manually as needed. I usually wait until it is about half a gallon, then top off with RO/DI water. Living in Phoenix, AZ, that takes about 3 days until I have to top off.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I top of manually as needed. I usually wait until it is about half a gallon, then top off with RO/DI water. Living in Phoenix, AZ, that takes about 3 days until I have to top off.
Oh wow. An ATO is very important on a reef tank cuz it keep the salinity stable. Maybe you know that the water evaporates but not the salt so the salinity will go up and that can kill all the livestock on your fish tank. I did top of manually at the beginning but once I did my gravity ATO my system became more stable.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back