OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait can a convict blenny go in a 40 breeder if I trade it out, my friend said he has one, I think I’d wanna do a predator tank with 5-6 large fish honestly becsuse it would be cheaper

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wait can a convict blenny go in a 40 breeder if I trade it out, my friend said he has one, I think I’d wanna do a predator tank with 5-6 large fish honestly becsuse it would be cheaper

im not familiar with particular species but most blennies don’t need much.

but honestly my man, the going cheap mindset and reefing don’t mesh well. Going for used gear in good condition can save some green. But beyond that, cheap will lead to more expense later. This is a hobby where it’s better to move slow, figure out a solid plan, and save up for what you need. Chances are (and I have experienced this when I first started my build) rushing to get something that seems good at first glance will be far more expensive than saving for the better option.

why? You buy things twice at best. At worst, you lose livestock (which is its own investment) AND have to buy gear again.

there is a real reason why I live by the saying “nothing good in this hobby occurs quickly”

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is a real reason why I live by the saying “nothing good in this hobby occurs quickly”
Only exception to that: Disaster

Disaster happens quickly, and is caused by people rushing to setup their tanks.
200.gif

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convict blenny I believe min tank size is 30 but don’t quite me on that.
They are not a blenny but a relative to cichlids.
12 inch size but are eel like, so an 18 inch tank is good.
Pretty inactive. So research but I think a 40 breeder is enough.

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re only doing a mostly fowlr with a few softies in a 40b I wouldn’t stress about t5 or no t5. If you eventually go sps or get a bigger, deeper tank, it’d be worth considering. But for now? Don’t stress it or the expense

Edit: I agree with trying to mimic seawater params though

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the coral corral on Facebook. They're great. Also marine warehouse aquariums. They're both in town and country. But I highly recommend the corral, that place is awesome.
Any good lfs on north side?

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the coral corral on Facebook. They're great. Also marine warehouse aquariums. They're both in town and country. But I highly recommend the corral, that place is awesome.
For fish I go to "fish and other ichthy things" also in town and country. Just northeast of Tampa on the border of Pinellas county.
I only do wwc for live sales. They are worth the trip though so I normally do pick up from them.

BelieveInBlue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8” foxface if I returned it every so often?
Man like 2 days ago you could barely afford to set up a 20g. Rehoming a $50+ fish every year or so is 100% out of the question AND your budget. Not to mention, have you ever tried to catch a foxface in an established tank? I have. It was almost 10 years ago in a LFS sale tank, so only a few pieces of PVC and rock, and my eye still twitches at the thought of it.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man like 2 days ago you could barely afford to set up a 20g. Rehoming a $50+ fish every year or so is 100% out of the question AND your budget. Not to mention, have you ever tried to catch a foxface in an established tank? I have. It was almost 10 years ago in a LFS sale tank, so only a few pieces of PVC and rock, and my eye still twitches at the thought of it.
Ok I won’t do foxface

BeltedCoyote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I won’t do foxface

just wait until you have a tank big enough. This is a hobby that cultivates patience. Get your tank set up and manage it. Find out if this is really the lifestyle you want to pursue (it is a lifestyle). You have plenty of time my guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back