OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll start another build thread for this tank but it is really cool and I am loving it already. It is a 10 gallon.
277897B4-938B-4ED1-8696-C7CBAD076654.jpeg
The current inhabitants are
Lonely citron/brown clown goby
Two fighting conches (Sticking with the theme of 2 per nano :) )
Turbo snail
The two electric blue hermit crabs

My plan for this tank is

Two nassarius snails
Need more ideas for cool inverts, the small nano (this thread) is the ornamental shrimp tank

Yellow banded possum wrasse
Wheeler’s shrimp goby
I have heard a blue stripe pipefish is a good fit for an aquarium like this with Macroalgae and I would be open to moving her here, let me know if this is a good idea or not
78900758-187D-4F2A-B5B6-24A76DD81945.jpeg
I have hidden the filter in the back behind the roc
E6C61FDA-8448-440E-900E-4782BDE9487B.jpeg

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Flame Tail Blenny?
Long term you may find the flame tail will become more aggressive towards the pictus and fight it out.
For now they are similar sizes and stay away from each other but I had done my research and I have three tanks and three blennies so I’ll be good to go if they start anything.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll start another build thread for this tank but it is really cool and I am loving it already. It is a 10 gallon.
277897B4-938B-4ED1-8696-C7CBAD076654.jpeg
The current inhabitants are
Lonely citron/brown clown goby
Two fighting conches (Sticking with the theme of 2 per nano :) )
Turbo snail
The two electric blue hermit crabs

My plan for this tank is

Two nassarius snails
Need more ideas for cool inverts, the small nano (this thread) is the ornamental shrimp tank

Yellow banded possum wrasse
Wheeler’s shrimp goby
I have heard a blue stripe pipefish is a good fit for an aquarium like this with Macroalgae and I would be open to moving her here, let me know if this is a good idea or not
78900758-187D-4F2A-B5B6-24A76DD81945.jpeg
I have hidden the filter in the back behind the roc
E6C61FDA-8448-440E-900E-4782BDE9487B.jpeg
@i cant think wold this tank be ok for my pipefish?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your pipefish is thriving in the nano, why disturb it?
I really don't love my big nano. it was my first tank, I didn't know how to scape and got rocks that were way too big, I would never have gone with clowns, I like them but I don't like the nems, etc. Not my proudest tank but I am feeling much better about these two new ones (don't worry I definitely wont be neglecting it). There is so much more life in this new tank and the small nano than in the big nano plus I feel like I should make sure my mandarin in there is top priority and has enough pods. I added some caulepera so there should be some new pods for Herby (the mandarin) to snack on and in these tanks there is also more than enough microfauna if not more than in that tank.

I completely agree with you but I feel like its QOL would improve in this tank with ideal conditions and the ideal environment.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't love my big nano. it was my first tank, I didn't know how to scape and got rocks that were way too big, I would never have gone with clowns, I like them but I don't like the nems, etc. Not my proudest tank but I am feeling much better about these two new ones (don't worry I definitely wont be neglecting it). There is so much more life in this new tank and the small nano than in the big nano plus I feel like I should make sure my mandarin in there is top priority and has enough pods. I added some caulepera so there should be some new pods for Herby (the mandarin) to snack on and in these tanks there is also more than enough microfauna if not more than in that tank.

I completely agree with you but I feel like its QOL would improve in this tank with ideal conditions and the ideal environment.
I still don’t recommend it - The tank is still new and it will mature, causing pod populations to level out and potentially not be enough to sustain the pipefish.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YELLOW CLOWN GOBY ATE MYSIS!!!
That’s great news!
Hopefully the others will follow soon, I tend to use other fish already feeding as the way to get finicky eaters to feed - it’s kind of like a copy cat situation.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bicolor/flametail blenny was starting to be aggressive as suspected but I was hoping they'd get along so he lives in the macro tank now.
Escenius blennies don’t really get along very well unless they’re a species known for being communal such as E. pictus.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s great news!
Hopefully the others will follow soon, I tend to use other fish already feeding as the way to get finicky eaters to feed - it’s kind of like a copy cat situation.
Yeah he normally sits with his best buddy on the heater and after watching barnacle inhale the mysis enough I guess he wanted to try too :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they were communal, that's interesting, thanks.
There’s a few smaller species that are communal, I know we used to keep E. pictus in group at the LFS (they tend to settle better in groups). There’s another I remember we would keep in groups however I can’t quite remember the species off the top of my head.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s a few smaller species that are communal, I know we used to keep E. pictus in group at the LFS (they tend to settle better in groups). There’s another I remember we would keep in groups however I can’t quite remember the species off the top of my head.
That makes me want to try!!! Maybe swap the bicolor and pictus because the macro tank is perfect with all the live rock with perfect size holes.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes me want to try!!! Maybe swap the bicolor and pictus because the macro tank is perfect with all the live rock with perfect size holes.
I would personally trade in the bicolor as they will get aggressive and quite large for a 10G tank.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally trade in the bicolor as they will get aggressive and quite large for a 10G tank.
I'm not sure who would take it but any of the fish market sellers would happily accept a free fish I'm sure. I could put it in the big nano and the lawnmower blenny would keep it in check, I am just not sure if he would do more than just keep it in check. Speaking of my lawnmower blenny, he is weird. He "hugs" my mandarin dragonet (still doing great and is happy in the 15 gallon :) ) what I mean by this is he will quickly swim up to it and just sit next to it, definitely not aggression and it is pretty cute and also mysterious.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing is happening to my green clown goby and it is starting in my yellow. These white bulging bubbles. I don’t know what to do, it doesn’t spread to any other species.
1678364232164.png

Do they stick out like this?
My green clown goby is covered in them from head to tail and I can’t see too many on my yellow but the yellow is also looking quite thin. If I don’t have success and at least keep one of them alive I think I’ll stay away from them in the future. My citron/brown isn’t looking amazingly either, I am disappointed that these guys haven’t worked out.
I’ll try to get a good photo of the green soon.

Sailaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing is happening to my green clown goby and it is starting in my yellow. These white bulging bubbles. I don’t know what to do, it doesn’t spread to any other species.

My green clown goby is covered in them from head to tail and I can’t see too many on my yellow but the yellow is also looking quite thin. If I don’t have success and at least keep one of them alive I think I’ll stay away from them in the future. My citron/brown isn’t looking amazingly either, I am disappointed that these guys haven’t worked out.
I’ll try to get a good photo of the green soon.
Shoot. I really hate that. My goby gets them occasionally (last week he got them again) but they go away after a few days. I really wish I knew a solution but I don’t. A photo would be great

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 46 85.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back