375 Gallon Mixed Reef Peninsula

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

The sump is supposed to be finished by the end of the week.

Using the old stand, I started on my rock and this is close to what I want. The arches are cemented, I dont want to do much more until its inside the tank.

IMG_0839[3917].jpg

IMG_0838[3916].jpg
Just remember about flow. You don;t want to have areas that detritus build up and you can't get to, to clean. I do love all the arches.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone.

Got a little more of the wiring cleaned up and situated. I got a few misc things ordered today and picked up salt at a LFS. Im ready to get this tank set up...

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a company that does EVA foam boat flooring. This EVA foam is 6mm thick and has a 3M adhesive on the back. Since the tank is in the living room (and right next to where I normally sit), I want it to be as quiet as possible so I cut some pieces of foam to fit on the inside of the doors as sound deadner. I did this on my last tank and the loudest thing I could hear was the overflow.

Here is what the inside of the doors look like with it installed.

IMG_0849.jpg

On the 120 that was set up, I used some float switches that I got off ebay or amazon for auto top off, sump high level and for the skimmer waste container full and I had magnetic door switches that turned the light on under the stand when a door was opened. I did this by using the GHL ADIN expansion card with a breakout box. This did work but sometimes the reaction to the switch closing was very slow, to the point I would have to wait sometimes 30-45 seconds for the stand light to come on. I removed the ADIN card and expansion card from the GHL for this setup.

This time, I am using 110v magnetic switches to turn on the stand light this time so it wont go through the GHL at all. Here is what they look like installed. The light comes on and goes off instantly.

IMG_0852.jpg

I am using the GHL float switches that plug directly in the level switch plugs in the back of the P4 this time for ATO and for the skimmer full inputs.

This container was originally a vertex dosing container. When I set up the previous tank, I added 2 JG fittings to it and mounted a switch in it to use for the skimmer to drain skimmate into. My Co2 scrubber also pulls air from this container. After seeing the pictures, I guess I need to clean the JG fittings on it but I did get the old switch swapped out for one of the new GHL ones.

IMG_0850.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice and loving the scape!

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 55 gallon water barrels in my laundry room that I use for salt mixing/salt water storage for for continuous water changes and for fresh RO storage for my auto top off. Its not an ideal setup but it does work. My wife hates it because it takes up so much in the laundry room, mainly because the dryer door wont open completely without hitting the stand of it. I took some measurements and I am thinking I am going to build/have built and rectangular acrylic tank with two chambers to replace this setup. I got some measurements and I can do a much more compact tank with two chambers that will hold 100 gallons in each chamber. Anyone every do something like this?

This is my current setup.

cae5876c892fd5aa06822dd19a2275e0.jpg

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a few more weeks before I get much else done. The sump was supposed to be finished last week and I finally heard on Monday that it probably wont be done until the end of next week so sometime after that I should have it and can finally schedule to get the tank moved. Unfortunately for me, October and November are some of the busiest times with work so I wont have a lot of time to work on the tank. Luckily, just about everything else is ready to go, just a few plumbing connections and tie up a few remaining wires is all that left.

I did find an Aquarium Engineering 8 inch ACR to replace the Vertex calcium reactor I was using. A buddy that lives down the road from me has one and he can help me get it set up and configured.

I was having issues with my GHL KH Director when I took it off the old tank. I had considered not using it on this tank but I got to looking at it to see if if I could figure out what was wrong with it and the reagent tube was blocked. We will see if that fixes the problem. If it doesnt, I may get an Apex with a Trident. I had everything Apex when I first setup the last tank and wanted a Trident, but they were never available. I really wanted to be able test Alk, Cal and Mg automatically and after reading the KH Director could measure Alk, and the new Ion Director could do Cal Mg, I sold off all of my Apex stuff and got GHL. The GHL stuff is a love/hate thing for me. I have had several issues with the KH Director but I love the dosing pumps and how they work. The GHL system in general for me is a lot less user friendly and there is still no date for the Ion Director. If I had to do that over, I probably would have kept the Apex stuff I had, gotten the Trident when they became available and just got SA GHL dosing pumps. That would have been the best of both worlds for me.

Being on the TX coast, power outages are not uncommon. A few weeks ago after the last hurricane we dodged, I decided to get a standby generator for the whole house. I am on the waiting list now but it wont be installed until December or January. I am going to keep the battery back ups I had on the last tank and that should keep everything in the tank up long enough for the generator to kick on when the power does go off.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments.

I checked on the status of my sump again and for the third time in a row, the response is it will be finished by the end of next week. This is frustrating but I do understand things happen, it will all be water under the bridge if it gets here and comes out right (soon).

I do have a LFS lined up ready to move the tank once I have the sump in the stand.

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is looking great. How did you get them to ship your Calcium reactor? I have been waiting for months.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's, not a bad idea, I didn't think to even look. I forgot to mention I love your wood working skills. You did an amazing job on the canopy and stand.

I just happen to stumble across this one and couldnt pass on the price, not to mention not having to wait until who knows when to actually get it. Thanks for the compliments, I am happy with the stand and canopy, think it looks better than it being all exposed.

You may have seen it on the national news, last week the water supply in the town I live in (Lake Jackson) was contaminated with some kind of brain eating amoeba, seriously-another 2020 curve ball. Anyway, we have a boil water in effect for at least the next 60 days. I had just changed out my RO filters last week before this and had a second set ready in anticipation of filling the tank. I bet I dont have 30 gallons from the newest filters and they are already shot becuause they are pumping chloramine in like crazy.

After this, decided it was time to add a chloramine filter and upgrade my current RO setup. Guess its good Im not trying to fill the tank right now.

Fingers crossed the sump will be finished this Friday and shipping shortly after.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about the sump Wednesday and the guy tells me it will be done on Friday or he will take 25% off the cost. I hope I dont get the same answer I have been getting tomorrow when I ask again, I sure need this thing so I can get everything going.

They lifted the boil your water order but our water smells like straight chlorine, even burns your eyes just running in the sink. The RODI parts came in that I ordered and spent the afternoon getting that up and running. I took my old RO unit apart and am using those canisters as prefilters. From there it goes through 3 stages of carbon, then to the massive Chloramine filter, then to the RO units and then 3 stages of DI resin. It has 2 100GPD membranes in it and a booster pump. I forgot to get the transformer for the pump but it should be here pretty quick. Still need to get my auto water change lines run again since I moved my Stenner pump next to the water storage barrels but that wont take long.

Image.jpeg

I ran it all long enough to get the canisters filled up and made some water. The real test will be when I get the transformer for the pump. Here is my TDS on the incoming side of the prefilters.

Image1.jpg

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a tank as ready to go as this one before being setup. That being said, I spoke to the guy building my sump last week and he still hadn't started it and for the fourth or fifth time told me it would be ready at the end of the following week. Very frustrated with him, I asked him when he planned on starting on it. He told me that he is the only person in his company that can do the custom work and he hasnt had time. I asked if he had something less custom with similar dimensions that he could get out and he sent me pictures of one he was working on. I declined it because I want a sump that is clear on both sides. I asked if he could build that with a couple of minor changes to the design and he said that wouldn't be a problem, he could work on it over the weekend and it would be ready to ship Monday or Tuesday. He sent me a text about an hour after we talked and said the material was on the machine now being cut. I contacted him on Monday and it wasnt finished. I heard from him this morning saying it would be finished "probably tomorrow, he'd let me know". I told him if its not ready to ship on Friday to refund my money. I hate doing this but Ive given the guy an extra opportunity to make it right and he is still putting me off.

I have a small business and I cant imagine promising something to a customer and not keeping that promise, and if I couldn't keep it, I would be constantly communicating with them and making it my highest priority to make it right. I understand things happen but be straight up with people and dont waste their time. Getting off my soap box now.

If its not finished Friday, I will start my hunt for material to build the sump either completely out of acrylic or do pvc/acrylic. I dont have much extra time to do this but at this point any progress is still progress.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. Got these photos of the sump almost finished and supposed to ship it out Monday. Any luck I will get it by the end of next week (maybe I shouldnt say that) and I can get this tank going soon.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the sump arrived. Not originally what I had planned, but this is it. Seems built well and it will do what I need it to.

Got it all rinsed out and a quick leak check done before bringing it inside.

IMG_0988.jpg

Got the stand slid out and the sump into the stand. Being taller and narrower is going to make skimmer maintenance a pain. I do have an auto neck cleaner and the skimmer will drain into an external chamber so that maintenance witll not be as frequent.

IMG_0990.jpg

I should have the tank move sometime this week. I can do much more until the tank is in place. Everything should start moving faster then. I have about 100 gallons of water made up ready to go and the new RO is making water at a rate of about 240 gallons per day so filling wont take long.

OP
OP
blfuller123

blfuller123

375 Mixed Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank movers will be here tomorrow. It was bothering be how much of a pain it was going to be to do any kind of maintenance on the skimmer so I tried figuring out a better way. Long story short, the skimmer cannot be removed from the sump once its in the stand. I tried a vertex 250 body to see if that would do any better and its about the same. I have the room in the stand so I decided to get away from the internal skimmer and use an external one.

I found one that will fit but the catch to this is it would not fit with the UV installed where it was. Kinda sucks because its already plumbed and most of the wiring us all tied up. I spent the evening moving the UV to the other side of the stand. I am redoing the manifold so now it will run to the UV, the UV will exit to feed the skimmer and then return to the sump where the socks are. I may make up a removable baffle to use as a frag section in the sump at some point.

Once the tank is moved, I will get the sand and rock in, get the drain and return piping installed and get the canopy put on, hopefully by the time that happens, the new skimmer will be here and I can finish it all up.

One step forward two steps back, here is where I am now.

0.jpg

Back