Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ebe5bdd2fc1f30558828aa6f39dcf4e3.jpg

Does anyone have a 3d file to print something like this Nori feeder

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May cost as much to make it as to just buy the real thing. [emoji3]

Could be worth it of you could get different colours and sizes to suit your needs, something to fit an OCTO mag would be perfect as well

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger question on PLA should be what would actually happen if trace amounts of lactic acid leached into your tank?

I have several files I worked with Saints on for his sump (adding sock holders, and replacing red parts with blue parts). I did some aesthetics for Bubble Magus skimmers.
You're right, thats probably the more important question. I read somewhere that it is very similar to bio balls and may act as a form of carbon dosing if it does break down. It might be worth asking Randy HF what he thinks might happen. I might have a search to see if its already been asked or not and if not I might make a thread in the chemistry section :)

May cost as much to make it as to just buy the real thing. [emoji3]
I don't think so haha. These are like $25 on amazon. It would only cost maybe a dollar to print (in plastic and electricity) if you don't include your time to design it, but even then its a pretty basic design anyway so shouldnt take long to draw it.

toybox22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve made and sold a couple hundred of toggle boxes for Apex. You know, control your outputs and programs with a button instead of needing to take out your phone.

Does that plug into where the breakout box would go?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, thats probably the more important question. I read somewhere that it is very similar to bio balls and may act as a form of carbon dosing if it does break down. It might be worth asking Randy HF what he thinks might happen. I might have a search to see if its already been asked or not and if not I might make a thread in the chemistry section :)

I don't think so haha. These are like $25 on amazon. It would only cost maybe a dollar to print (in plastic and electricity) if you don't include your time to design it, but even then its a pretty basic design anyway so shouldnt take long to draw it.

Cool then draw it up for the fella I am sure you have the free time. [emoji3]

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool then draw it up for the fella I am sure you have the free time. [emoji3]
Haha! Not atm or I'd be working on my ReefPi build. If i find some time next weekend I might as it really would only take 10 min if you are semi decent at fusion 360. Having said that I wouldnt model it to have a magnet in it, I would model it to just clip onto my current TLF magnet clip which would make it easier to design too

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The larger question on PLA should be what would actually happen if trace amounts of lactic acid leached into your tank?

I have several files I worked with Saints on for his sump (adding sock holders, and replacing red parts with blue parts). I did some aesthetics for Bubble Magus skimmers.
Capture.JPG
t725 (2).png
t725 (3).png
t725 (5).png
t725 (4).png
t725.png
t725 (1).png
Capture2.JPG

I have been trying to get the STLs for the curve 7 since he first posted the pics of his build!

:)

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What timeframe was that over? I'm glad that someone actually has some experience to back that claim up though as I have been looking for over a year and every time someone says PLA is bad it turns out they just read it in an article (which I read too).

I found the first feeder ring was a little bit soft, but I couldn't put that down to being in the tank because as I said it was quite under extruded and had thin walls so it was pretty squishy to begin with. The nitrate reactor hasn't had any change to it's outer walls since I put it in over 6 months ago.

I have 3d printed pod hotels in PLA that have been in a tank for over 2 years. No signs of degradation. No issues with anything.

PETG is a better choice as it is not as brittle. PLA printed small parts can get a bit brittle in water and if you have poor layer adhesion the parts will fall apart. The whole PLA is going to poison your tank is a myth.

Rick Cavanaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lactic acid is a carbon-based / organic acid commonly found in foods. Bacteria will consume this. C3H6O3. Just simple carbon dosing, just extremely slow. This is why it is biodegradable, but it will not degrade fast.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a website that sells 3d printed stuff for aquariums. I emailed him about using PLA. He said it's all he uses and has some stuff in his tank for 5 years with no degradation or ill effects that tests show.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back