3D printer recommendation

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used tinkercad to make a simple stand for my protien skimmer and used cura to slice it. It started out good but not its got these waves going.
This looks like it may just be the infill in a normal pattern for the inside of whatever item you designed that pattern and density can be changed in the settings before you slice

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What is your print speed set at? Check your rollers; you may have something stuck to a wheel. Thats why linear bearings are nice...

If you carriage is too tight the wheels wear over time then gunk accumulates on the races and then transfers to the wheels.

Smokeshow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one was printing at 60. Creality PLA + at 190c 60c bed. Was also before I added the sonic pad. Ran a temp tower and found 205c was the best. And made the bed 65c. I printed a 3/4 turbulent flow last night and it turned out perfect. Started some 3/4 loc-line segments before I left for work. Have a blink camera set up to monitor it while I'm out but won't know for sure how they turned out until I get home.

markron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 3D Printers and a laser cutter. For an entry-level printer, I cannot recommend the Ender 3 S1 Pro. It's amazing. I had the predecessor the Ender 3 Pro, and this is much better. If you're interested I can go into detail about why, but I love it, and everyone I've recommended it to, has loved it as well.
If you're looking for something bigger, I'd recommend the Tronxy CoreXY Printer. I've printed a full-sized Mandalorian helmet on this one without having to cut it up for bed size.
If you're looking for super detail, def go look at a Resin 3d printer, though if you're going to use that for a reef tank, be careful. These have chemicals that may or may not be reef safe. I haven't checked to see if anything there would leech into the tank. label printer for small business
What‘s a good, semi-affordable, good, maybe upgradeable, good 3D printer? I read a comparison article between several printers, and the one they liked the best was the Prusa. Which of course I had never heard of, and isn‘t sold on Amazon. Creality seems like the most popular on Amazon. It does not have to come from. Amazon, I just shop there a lot. I have no experience at all with 3D printers, but I was an IT tech for years, have done a fair amount of coding and played with Raspberry Pi a bit. I want something I can learn on, but not so limited I would want to replace it within 3 months.

CWalters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What‘s a good, semi-affordable, good, maybe upgradeable, good 3D printer? I read a comparison article between several printers, and the one they liked the best was the Prusa. Which of course I had never heard of, and isn‘t sold on Amazon. Creality seems like the most popular on Amazon. It does not have to come from. Amazon, I just shop there a lot. I have no experience at all with 3D printers, but I was an IT tech for years, have done a fair amount of coding and played with Raspberry Pi a bit. I want something I can learn on, but not so limited I would want to replace it within 3 months.
Do you have a microcenter near you?

HighlandReef

Chalice Monger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spend the extra money and get a good core Xy printer.
Bambu lab p1p is $600, well worth the money.
I have been 3d printing for a while now and originally came from the world of creality bed slingers. I easily spent at least half of my time leveling, adjusting, etc. never doing that again. I now spend 99.9% of my time printing.
Prusa makes good printers but bed slingers are slow in general.
Core xy will be a much faster printer.
Creality makes a core xy but their customer service sucks. I had an issue with one of my creality printers that was still under warranty, creality was worthless. I got stuck having to fix it myself on my dime.
That’s when I went Bambu lab and never looked back.
Micro center also sells Bambu labs or you can just order direct.

Do your research before buying and don’t just go off of YouTube reviews.
Most are getting those printers for free from the manu, with the understanding they will review on their YouTube page.
Most won’t post negative review, the manu would cut them off from free product.
I’m a systems engineer by trade, I won’t stear you wrong.

Last edited:

reddogf5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note on resin printers:
You do NOT want to use resin for anything aquarium, the resin is toxic to aquatic creatures. I don't know how it is toxic, but if the manufacturer prints a picture of a dead fish on the bottle, you know it is bad. And yes, even the "water washable" resins are toxic.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Spend the extra money and get a good core Xy printer.
Bambu lab p1p is $600, well worth the money.
I have been 3d printing for a while now and originally came from the world of creality bed slingers. I easily spent at least half of my time leveling, adjusting, etc. never doing that again. I now spend 99.9% of my time printing.
Prusa makes good printers but bed slingers are slow in general.
Core xy will be a much faster printer.
Creality makes a core xy but their customer service sucks. I had an issue with one of my creality printers that was still under warranty, creality was worthless. I got stuck having to fix it myself on my dime.
That’s when I went Bambu lab and never looked back.
Micro center also sells Bambu labs or you can just order direct.

Do your research before buying and don’t just go off of YouTube reviews.
Most are getting those printers for free from the manu, with the understanding they will review on their YouTube page.
Most won’t post negative review, the manu would cut them off from free product.
I’m a systems engineer by trade, I won’t stear you wrong.
I agree.
And share similar experiences with bed slingers.

Though I stuck with Creality and went to the k1.
I found it to be a fantastic machine and spend all of my time printing. Instead of adjusting. I easily switched through different filaments and have no problems switching from ABS to PETG to TPU.
Make sure you get a Gen 2 version with this printer. There were a lot of problems with the hot end before they change it.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 108 77.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 18 12.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back