3D Printing thread

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new spinning disk system has many printed components in the base :)

I was laughing at the tang going around in circles all day, as it tries to maintain a static position in reference to a SPINNING disk o_O

That thing is slick!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d printed a sign for my coral room! This is more of a man-cave than a proper business but I still wanted to get my logo up on the wall. The letters were divided up to fit on the print bed flat with keyed joints to make for easy assembly. They were all such small prints I was able to use my random little coils of filament I'm sure we all save.

sign_close_up.jpg

sign.jpg

Next time I will just use a toner printer and stick them on some plywood and cut it out on the band saw. 3d printing wasn't needed for flat characters and while technically capable, it wasn't really the ideal workflow. They are sprayed with rustoleum hammered metal finish.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I 3d printed a sign for my coral room! This is more of a man-cave than a proper business but I still wanted to get my logo up on the wall. The letters were divided up to fit on the print bed flat with keyed joints to make for easy assembly. They were all such small prints I was able to use my random little coils of filament I'm sure we all save.

sign_close_up.jpg

sign.jpg

Next time I will just use a toner printer and stick them on some plywood and cut it out on the band saw. 3d printing wasn't needed for flat characters and while technically capable, it wasn't really the ideal workflow. They are sprayed with rustoleum hammered metal finish.

Looks really good!

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a few weeks over the last couple of months of attempting to resurrect my ~1-1/2 year moth-balled tevo tarantula i3 clone, bending the sole Z-axis rod, trying to re-wire everything not to be a giant fire hazard and finally breaking the acrylic z mount, then spending a week thinking of how to recover it without easy access to another printer to make a new one, I decided to get my birthday present a few days early.

prusa
by Kyl, on Flickr

I have to say, the build was involved but this is how the experience should be. Parts correctly named, pictured, batched and the instructions were 100% on point. Great build quality and I'm not going to have to worry about this thing burning down my house from the rickety construction or suspect power supply. Yes I could have dumped another 3-4 hundred into my tevo to "upgrade" it yet again, including the now knocked-off springsteel print sheets, but one and done is well worth the price paid.

On first power up there was about 15 minutes of automatic calibration, with about 5 minutes of z leveling and it's done. Yes, done, no another few hours of re-assembling something, or chasing a firmware code on a facebook group, or trying to decipher what toggle in Marlin to hit. I will take this simplicity going forward, the time requirement is just so much less. I pulled out my old almost two year old grey PLA filament that most likely has absorbed half the water in this room, and it printed near-perfectly with some stringing at the final layer because I haven't touched a single option in the bundled slicer yet. This PEI powder coated sheet is nuts.

Need to get to designing some controller mounts and a bottle holder for the KH director reagent now :)

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t regret it. I have two 3D printers, the second being a Prusa mk3s, and I didn’t realize how easy printing was until I got the prusa. My success fail ratio is like 95% now. Usually if it fails, I F’d up slicing or the design

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well after a few weeks over the last couple of months of attempting to resurrect my ~1-1/2 year moth-balled tevo tarantula i3 clone, bending the sole Z-axis rod, trying to re-wire everything not to be a giant fire hazard and finally breaking the acrylic z mount, then spending a week thinking of how to recover it without easy access to another printer to make a new one, I decided to get my birthday present a few days early.

prusa
by Kyl, on Flickr

I have to say, the build was involved but this is how the experience should be. Parts correctly named, pictured, batched and the instructions were 100% on point. Great build quality and I'm not going to have to worry about this thing burning down my house from the rickety construction or suspect power supply. Yes I could have dumped another 3-4 hundred into my tevo to "upgrade" it yet again, including the now knocked-off springsteel print sheets, but one and done is well worth the price paid.

On first power up there was about 15 minutes of automatic calibration, with about 5 minutes of z leveling and it's done. Yes, done, no another few hours of re-assembling something, or chasing a firmware code on a facebook group, or trying to decipher what toggle in Marlin to hit. I will take this simplicity going forward, the time requirement is just so much less. I pulled out my old almost two year old grey PLA filament that most likely has absorbed half the water in this room, and it printed near-perfectly with some stringing at the final layer because I haven't touched a single option in the bundled slicer yet. This PEI powder coated sheet is nuts.

Need to get to designing some controller mounts and a bottle holder for the KH director reagent now :)
best birthday ever :)

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel two ways about it. I kind of regret not going Prusa from the start, but then I wouldn't have picked up the little things I had to learn with building / using / upgrading the Tevo. Kind of like my foray into this hobby, started with a nano tank and while I probably wouldn't have done it that way again if fresh, it forced me to learn good water husbandry because there wasn't the wiggle room of multiple dozen gallons to play with.

I do need to get my octoprint setup going again as I hate the SD card juggling and don't want to tether this to the PC with a usb cable. I was going to do the pi zero w install that Prusa themselves have a guide for and accounted for with the enclosure, but reading more into it no one thinks that's a good idea, even the creator of octoprint. I guess it's super underpowered for the task most want to use. I also want to keep this super sleek look, will have to see what others have done to mount on the Prusa frame.

That's probably the largest improvement, the whole thing just looks slick and there is no mess of wires or anything sticking out, anywhere. I already had a comment from a friend that saw the old tevo when running, said it always looked like something on the verge of causing an electrical fire. And finally, silence. This thing unless zooming at 200mm/s is so quiet I forgot it was running while printing that logo out.

Kyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I used it on my tevo and loved it. I think some features aren't available if not printing from SD with the Prusa, still super early days, only assembled it on Saturday and haven't had much time to play or dig deeper yet.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came to the same conclusion on the pi zero, which i now just have laying around. I wanted to run a web cam, which is another big reason to use octoprint. Would definitely be interested in whatever you come up with. I do have some pi3's laying about as well. I seem to always be using the pi's when i need them for something else. At the moment, they're all unused for some reason

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

prusa
by Kyl, on Flickr

I would love to have a Prusa. The noise would be my main reason for wanting one and the speed.

I have three Ender 3 printers and they work incredibly well. However, I did a bunch of tweaking. No real modifications other than tubing and extruder upgrade.

I agree about learning on a consumer grade printer first. It teaches really good lessons.

Even if I do wind up buying a Prusa, I probably will keep using Enders for the most part.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone printed any of the Random Flow Generator that are on thingiverse?
If so did they work?

Thanks
I have not printed one yet although I want to print a version with a 85 degre bend built in to the feed side still. I did purchase one and they do work. I think it is great the make the file available for the products they sell.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not printed one yet although I want to still. I did purchase one and they do work. I think it is great the make the file available for the products they sell.
I may be wrong, but the files on thingiverse aren't from VCA. They are different.

And there is confusion from some of the replies above. I personally have random flow generators from VCA and they work as advertised.

Whether or not the ones that are on thingiverse work the same, I wouldn't personally know. I heard that they don't, but I would be more inclined to believe dantimdad since he actually printed them and tried them himself.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be wrong, but the files on thingiverse aren't from VCA. They are different.

And there is confusion from some of the replies above. I personally have random flow generators from VCA and they work as advertised.

Whether or not the ones that are on thingiverse work the same, I wouldn't personally know. I heard that they don't, but I would be more inclined to believe dantimdad since he actually printed them and tried them himself.
Is there moving parts with the VCA ones or is it just a special internal structure to achieve the random flow?

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came to the same conclusion on the pi zero, which i now just have laying around. I wanted to run a web cam, which is another big reason to use octoprint. Would definitely be interested in whatever you come up with. I do have some pi3's laying about as well. I seem to always be using the pi's when i need them for something else. At the moment, they're all unused for some reason
You can always run a reef-pi on a pi-zero :) ,

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back