3D Printing thread

ReefnQueens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys , pretty new to the site here , im looking to get into 3d printing but i have no idea where to start, i want to get a printer that prints reef safe material , but i also dont want to get a piece of equipement that im going to have to keep on adding parts to ....do you guys have some suggestions on a beginner/notso beginner printer that comes with the bells and whistles , or even just good informational websites to read up on ? you got printers for 150 bucks then ones for 5k , and i have no idea what im looking at , i just need to be guided in the right direction thanks for any help!

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys , pretty new to the site here , im looking to get into 3d printing but i have no idea where to start, i want to get a printer that prints reef safe material , but i also dont want to get a piece of equipement that im going to have to keep on adding parts to ....do you guys have some suggestions on a beginner/notso beginner printer that comes with the bells and whistles , or even just good informational websites to read up on ? you got printers for 150 bucks then ones for 5k , and i have no idea what im looking at , i just need to be guided in the right direction thanks for any help!
Depends on your budget.

You could get a Prusa for around 700, which will require minimal to no adjustment and you're off to the races.

Or for $250-300 get an Ender 3 or Ender 3 v2. These may need some tinkering to get the bed leveled and frame square, but after that shouldnt need much adjustment. Of these two, I'd probably go with a V2 at thisnpoint.

If it goes in the water, print PETG, if not you can print PLA. Some use PLA for in water without reported issues, but theoretically it would break down over time as it's a corn based product.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your budget.

You could get a Prusa for around 700, which will require minimal to no adjustment and you're off to the races.

Or for $250-300 get an Ender 3 or Ender 3 v2. These may need some tinkering to get the bed leveled and frame square, but after that shouldnt need much adjustment. Of these two, I'd probably go with a V2 at thisnpoint.

If it goes in the water, print PETG, if not you can print PLA. Some use PLA for in water without reported issues, but theoretically it would break down over time as it's a corn based product.

What he said! Seriously, I agree with him completely. The prusa is turnkey and pretty much any of the creality printers are very good bargains with the ender 3 being the best entry level.

ReefnQueens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your budget.

What he said! Seriously, I agree with him completely. The prusa is turnkey and pretty much any of the creality printers are very good bargains with the ender 3 being the best entry
Would you guys ever consider buying a used one for cheaper? Or is it the type of product you would only want to buy new,I’m also wondering if you guys have any sites with codes for reef related products , like printing ecotech mp40 wetside cages, and how hard or easy would it be to create a frag rack with tension type holes that would hold plugs well and prevent them from being blown around or prevent critters from knocking them out?

AbjectMaelstroM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would you guys ever consider buying a used one for cheaper? Or is it the type of product you would only want to buy new,I’m also wondering if you guys have any sites with codes for reef related products , like printing ecotech mp40 wetside cages, and how hard or easy would it be to create a frag rack with tension type holes that would hold plugs well and prevent them from being blown around or prevent critters from knocking them out?

Look on Humblefish Forum in DIY section for a collection of aquarium related files. You can also manually search thingieverse and similar.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had a mixed bag with used. I bought a gen I prusa that turned out to be just pure junk so it got used for parts for another gen I bought, fixed got it printing well and sold for enough to pay for both so I broke even.

I will eventually get a new MK3 but, for now, I am happy with my three modified ender 3 and one sunlu s8.

Thingiverse has tons of frag racks and reef stuff.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One other thing: IF you do buy used, power it up and look for the print hours it has on it. If it's more than 1000, walk away. My enders have between 1500 and 3000 on them but I have maintained them and replaced parts along the way. I wouldn't trust someone else to do the same.

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not suggest used unless you have some experience with working on printers. It's not rocket surgery but if you buy used expect to have to rebuild/repair alot of it. It's is also difficult to modify/repair a printer without having another printer to make parts, you're then forced to buy everything. If you just want to "make things", stick with new.

Cbellechasse32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made these for a friend that kept losing fish to his MP40.

MRfkAAVl.jpg

pJrDRGpl.jpg

iPjOP1Ml.jpg
Looks great you happen to have the stl for this would love to make one

Anthony02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have printed a lot of stuff for my tank and so far no issues at all the strength is there and color is not faded at all. even coralline algae started to cover the plastic and make it its home. Although it is true that PLA filament is biodegradable due to the corn starch so i use PETG now since there is no corn starch in it. although i only have 2 prints that are PLA i have no issue with my tank and corals are thriving.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used PCTG yet? Saw a video on this type of filiamtn and it seems to have some characteristics that might be good for shopfitting (something we are obviously very interested in) and it seems to have a higher impact strength PETG. It also is more likely to stretch, rather than snap and break, when under heavy stress.

Thinking about ordering up a few spools to try it out.

PCTG = Poly – Cyclohexylenedimethylene Terephthalate Glycol

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone used PCTG yet? Saw a video on this type of filiamtn and it seems to have some characteristics that might be good for shopfitting (something we are obviously very interested in) and it seems to have a higher impact strength PETG. It also is more likely to stretch, rather than snap and break, when under heavy stress.

I have not used it yet but did see a video from CNCKitchen a couple days ago seems like a promising filament. Prints hot 270 good layer adhesion.

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....Prints hot 270 good layer adhesion.
I saw that - we are printing pretty hot as it is with PETG. Most of our jobs run at around 255 to 265C at speed. So steping up to a 270 shouldn't be an issue. Might raise the temputures in the production room a bit though - LOL

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Saw a video on it yesterday as well. Have been thinking of trying it, but probably will not have a chance for at least a month. You will have to post your experiences!

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love my 3d printer. I make brick holders for any power brick I own. I designed and printed my own MPQD controller holders. I have my own Reeflink simple holder on the printer now. I also do my own Loc-Line and a bunch of stuff for the family. Kids characters, replace broken clips, PS3 controller stands...just about anything.
Would it be difficult to design a loc line connector with a small threaded stub coming out the side? This could be capped off when not in use or connect a silicone hose to it then the hose could be used to blow off rocks (for large tanks).

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone printing vertical frag racks with a angle to them so the frags get more light ? I need it with magnetics as well because it's LPS so it have to go lower in my system . Remove if I'm asking in the wrong place thanks

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How safe is it to encase a magnet inside of a 3d printed item? Or will the saltwater eventually soak through the magnet and destroy it?

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How safe is it to encase a magnet inside of a 3d printed item? Or will the saltwater eventually soak through the magnet and destroy it?
You can make waterproof printed parts by a post process called annealing. larger nozzles and fine layers give the best results when looking for waterproof.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back