OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Replaced my barnacle cluster that had been dissolving/collapsing.
*hoping it somehow helps my rising alkalinity issue but not likely (((different story going on there)))

Before/after pictures -- tailspot blenny took to new barnacles pretty quickly:

barnacle_damage.jpeg

blenny_barnacle1.jpeg

It was a bit of a chore to find a cluster with barnacles as "deep" as my original and, when I finally did, had to tear new one apart for fear of unsafe adhesive but I had a different thread on that adventure here:

Removing Adhesive from Barnacle Cluster

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest discovery is a hydroid in test tank that I've been using to test different items from main tank to search for cause of rising alkalinity.

Hadn't seen any in my DT but went searching before lights came on and did find one on one ricordea that I blew off.

Time to start researching what people do about these (if anything) and also wondering if they've maybe been causing some issues even though I hadn't seen any before,,, just since most of my corals haven't seemed overly happy lately.

hydroid1.jpeg

hydroid2.jpeg

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first LPS -- single head Duncan,,, bought about 2 months ago:

IMG_2474.jpeg

*it's gotten much fatter and a bit taller,,, but the tentacles are kind of stubbier than when I got it -- won't worry since it's growing and seems happy enough

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My newest discovery is a hydroid in test tank that I've been using to test different items from main tank to search for cause of rising alkalinity.

Hadn't seen any in my DT but went searching before lights came on and did find one on one ricordea that I blew off.

Time to start researching what people do about these (if anything) and also wondering if they've maybe been causing some issues even though I hadn't seen any before,,, just since most of my corals haven't seemed overly happy lately.

hydroid1.jpeg

hydroid2.jpeg
My tank has very very old rock (as in decades) and so I have had hydroids and probably still have hydroids. I do not do anything with them and like other populations of life in the tank, they seem to go through times of thriving and waning. They have never really hurt anything in my tank even though they can sting. The only tanks that I know that they are a danger to is dwarf seahorses.

PS. I like your tank by the way!

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nassarius snail eggs (general consensus) -- I see these periodically and never any baby snails since, I assume, Nassarius aren't likely to reproduce well in our tanks:
*posted this elsewhere about 5 days ago but figured I'd capture here in my personal tank thread

snail_eggs1.jpeg

...there were a bunch in 3 different spots in the tank that morning that I noticed

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story but here's recap:
1. 1/2024 urchin chewed through AI Nero 5 cord so it died -- had smaller Aqamai KPs ready (planned as 2nd wavemaker but not in tank yet).
2. Ran single KPs only for a couple of months and not even on full power.
3. Sinularia was getting tall but folded over and started smothering tiny toadstool (assumably from the lower flow).
*I know I need to move the toadstool but,,, uhh,,, haven't gotten to it yet

FTS_half_2024_03_02.jpeg

*added 2nd KPs (wavemaker) recently so maybe that'll help

Last edited:
OP
OP
EricR

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw "Friday FTS" thread so snapped a couple of pictures (below).

Current status:
-- Most of my zoas (long story) that did great for first year are officially horrid after about a year long regression
-- Sinularia folded after a couple of months of poor flow (since AI Nero cord got devoured by urchin) ... seems awkward but OK-ish
-- Tiny toadstool smothered (for a couple of months) by Sinularia finally moved (to rack) so we'll see

FTS_2024_03_15_1.jpeg

FTS_2024_03_15_2.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back