400 gallon first reef build super newb

Always takes longer than your thought but here's a picture of the tank in place it's gonna look awesome from the other side luckily I had some help to get this up and a mechanical lift this tank probably 600 pounds
what a task
but it's there
 

Attachments

  • IMG_7621.jpeg
    IMG_7621.jpeg
    231.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 204
  • IMG_7622.jpeg
    IMG_7622.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_7623.jpeg
    IMG_7623.jpeg
    160.3 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_7627.jpeg
    IMG_7627.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7646.jpeg
    IMG_7646.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_7647.jpeg
    IMG_7647.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 215
Always takes longer than your thought but here's a picture of the tank in place it's gonna look awesome from the other side luckily I had some help to get this up and a mechanical lift this tank probably 600 pounds
what a task
but it's there
Wow, it looks amazing set up like that! I can't believe that tank was pushing 600lbs!
 
Wow, it looks amazing set up like that! I can't believe that tank was pushing 600lbs!
Well it's just a guess but it's three-quarter inch solid with euro bracing all around it and I can barely lift it an inch on one side and I'm 250 pounds not small so it's definitely a biggie
 
Small update
Built a template of the center skim box and building Aquascape around it to hide it and it's coming along good
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8453.jpeg
    IMG_8453.jpeg
    143.5 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8454.jpeg
    IMG_8454.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_8460.jpeg
    IMG_8460.jpeg
    243.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8463.jpeg
    IMG_8463.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_8503.jpeg
    IMG_8503.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_8519.jpeg
    IMG_8519.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_8529.jpeg
    IMG_8529.jpeg
    271.9 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_8530.jpeg
    IMG_8530.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 186
ReefMagic, just checking your build out and it looks like an impressive well-built Tank that would be a centerpiece in any home. In my opinion, getting the biggest tank possible within budget is the way to go as they are much more forgiving. One thing you should consider is access. Your tank is very deep/wide and reaching the bottom with lights above is going to be difficult. You might want some sort of pully system to raise them. On a final note, I like the double wall idea, cleaning the glass might be a challenge, and I assume since you're in construction cutting those triple studs was not a problem.
 
ReefMagic, just checking your build out and it looks like an impressive well-built Tank that would be a centerpiece in any home. In my opinion, getting the biggest tank possible within budget is the way to go as they are much more forgiving. One thing you should consider is access. Your tank is very deep/wide and reaching the bottom with lights above is going to be difficult. You might want some sort of pully system to raise them. On a final note, I like the double wall idea, cleaning the glass might be a challenge, and I assume since you're in construction cutting those triple studs was not a problem.
Thanks for checking it out and yes that is not a support wall I did an addition on the house and I put a beam across that whole area above the ceiling was gonna remove the whole wall but then decided to make it into my new master bedroom and then I got the idea of the Double-sided viewable reef tank
At last minute I cut another service entrance on the Wall side above the viewing window which will have cabinet doors on it to open up and clean that side and yes it's very deep I'm 6 foot one and even reach at the end of take I'm a couple inches from the bottom
Super excited to get that first rock column around the skim box
 
Yea , i'm 6'1" also and can just reach to bottom of my 26" tank. My advice, get tongs and grabbers, a fish trap, and system to remove GHA. Every new Tank seems to have that problem. Your rock column will be very heavy and may break. maybe consider reinforcing it with Mortar or epoxy putty. I used epoxy putty, very strong and sets quick
 
Yea , i'm 6'1" also and can just reach to bottom of my 26" tank. My advice, get tongs and grabbers, a fish trap, and system to remove GHA. Every new Tank seems to have that problem. Your rock column will be very heavy and may break. maybe consider reinforcing it with Mortar or epoxy putty. I used epoxy putty, very strong and sets quick
Is the epoxy putty safe to put in a tank while curing? Or is it best to let cure first?
 
I used 8 or 10 tubes of colored epoxy putty for my scape and never had a joint break. You need to work it into the pores of the rock pressing hard. Super glue is not nearly as strong but sets faster. Mortar was also good but make sure you use liquid acrylic instead of water.
 
I used 8 or 10 tubes of colored epoxy putty for my scape and never had a joint break. You need to work it into the pores of the rock pressing hard. Super glue is not nearly as strong but sets faster. Mortar was also good but make sure you use liquid acrylic instead of water.
Thanks for the tip I bought the bulk reef supply Concrete with the special glue you add water with and very strong and before that I put the thick gel glue with superglue afterwards a big process my buddy did it and showed me the way I think that's what you're talking about it's coming along good
 
OK small update I got the center piece done and installed in the aquarium had to load it on each side because of the euro bracing and fit it together
 

Attachments

  • IMG_8978.jpeg
    IMG_8978.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_8976.jpeg
    IMG_8976.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_8980.jpeg
    IMG_8980.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_8981.jpeg
    IMG_8981.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 159
Going to build some well I call them skeleton oak trees on the end viewing side
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 136
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 157
With a tank this size and you are new to hobby, my advice is to plan out your maintenance and make it as easy as possible. ATO, water changes, dosing, etc. it will make your life a lot easier if you have those set up before you fill the tank (running piping to pump tank water to a drain, and refilling fresh saltwater from remote holding tanks). Ask your mentor. I see you are in SoCal, lots of local reefers around (usually in local forums). Did the previous owner have a RO and fresh saltwater station included in the sale? Always good to have about 20% of tank water volume of these on hand, usually keep their station in the garage.

You have some great and experienced reefers in SFV, go to local reef forums and find them. I would go ask to do a tank visit and see how they are doing it. Visit a few big systems, and it’ll give you a good idea what you will need to maintain a big tank like this. But you are a contractor, so you have a great foundation to make it work.

Congrats on the dream tank!
 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 22.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new