40g Breeder Build Thread

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Im not really sure if anyone is going to follow along with me on this 40g breeder build at all or not, but I thought it would be pretty fun to create my first thread here on R2R since I am extremely excited about how it has been going. I am going to try and update this thread with as many progress photos and info as I can and I am happy to answer any questions that anyone has as well. Thanks for following a long and here is a picture of the current 20g tall as it sits that will be moving into the 40g when its done. :)
IMG_0602.jpg

OP
OP
S

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first update here is going to be a big one since I waited a while to actually create the thread so here it goes. I copied the overall design for the frame from a video that I saw on the DIY king's youtube channel. I am also drilling this tank for an overflow using the eclipse S overflow box and I will be drilling the return line as well. Here is the tank on the stand frame for the first picture.

IMG_0587.jpg

The second progress picture doesn't seem like a super big deal but that was the day I actually got the holes drilled for the overflow and the return. I was super nervous since that was the first time ever drilling a tank for me but I am thankful there was so many videos out there to watch to show me how it is done. This was also the day I got in my fijicube 20 sump in so I was able to get a good look at how things are going to start looking as I continued the build process.

IMG_0589.jpg

The next progress day actually has two pictures and I was super happy with the work that went in that day. I got the back painted completely black and I also got the plumbing all done. I went with the blue pvc just because I like the matching look with the sump.

IMG_0599.jpg

IMG_0600.jpg

The last bit for this post is today's progress. I got in my vectra S2 return pump so we got it all set up and filled it with water to do a complete leak test on the system and it passed thankfully. Again super happy with that as well since I had never plumbed a tank before either. In addition to the water test I got the inside bottom of the cabinet put in, the back put on and the top put on as well.

IMG_0612.jpg

Im hopping that this week I will be able to finish up the cabinet this week and get it ready for paint. I plan on putting doors on the front and turning the left side into a little mini controller board cabinet with a door as well. In addition I ordered a mix of base rock, shelf rock and reef saver rock, all the marco rocks that should be here by this coming weekend so I can start working on the scape for the tank as well. Thanks for checking out my build so far. I will update the thread as more progress gets made. :)

OP
OP
S

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please redo the boards between the top and bottom frame of that stand. Right now, it looks like the only thing holding the weight is the screws which look to be deck screws at that. There shouldn’t be any gaps.

I think it is just the angle of the photo but there isnt any gap between the the boards. I actually had to hammer them in just to get them in and the screws used are wood screws

Badfish2too

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Eshopps overflow on my 20g build and installed it in about the same height as you. It doesnt let the water get up to the black trim, so you will see the waterline. What I do is put some bonded filter pad in there and use it as a prefilter and it slows the flow down and the water level rises a bit. You may do better with a larger return pump though than me. Also quiets the overflow significantly

OP
OP
S

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Eshopps overflow on my 20g build and installed it in about the same height as you. It doesnt let the water get up to the black trim, so you will see the waterline. What I do is put some bonded filter pad in there and use it as a prefilter and it slows the flow down and the water level rises a bit. You may do better with a larger return pump though than me. Also quiets the overflow significantly
My LFS actually told me when I bought it from them to drill from the inside out to get the box a little higher inside the tank and when I water tested everything the water level is actually just slightly above the black trim so luckily no weird issues there for me.

OP
OP
S

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small afternoon update for today. I was able to get the inside of the cabinet completed as well as getting both of the ends ready to go for all of my controllers. each one of the ends has a gap left intentionally so I can run power cords over the top and into the actually cabinet. I also got the hardware mounted to the frame for my doors.

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Badfish2too

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS actually told me when I bought it from them to drill from the inside out to get the box a little higher inside the tank and when I water tested everything the water level is actually just slightly above the black trim so luckily no weird issues there for me.
Thats cool it worked out that way with the water level. I even notched the trim and moved it up too. Maybe my return is just to weak. I mean the same overflow on a little 20g is quite overkill ha

OP
OP
S

Saladbar12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I got my rocks delivered from BRS today. I ordered a mix of shelf rock and base rock as well as a few of the pieces that are flat on the bottoms for the base of my structure. I would say I was definitely happy with the base pieces and the regular reef saver pieces. The shelf pieces initially were tough to deal with and I was kind of frustrated with the size of them but after some time working with them I fell like I came up with a pretty cool scape for my first run at it. We will have to see in a few days if I decide I actually like what I came up with.

IMG_0620.jpg

IMG_0622.jpg

IMG_0623.jpg

The black outline is already shortened to 30"L X 14"W to allow for some ease of access for maintenance in the tank since the true dimensions are 36"L X 18"W I tried to get a video uploaded to get a better 3D view of things but the video would not upload to the thread.

SALTYMOPAR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking great! 40 gallon breeders have a nice footprint. i just finished my 40 with a 20 gallon long sump. Now i kinda want to build a AIO 40 now.

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moved this over to the members tank forum since it's your build thread. Also took the liberty to add your build thread banner which is also a link to this thread. And now I'm signed up to follow along. :cool:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back