40g Stocking Ideas? Eel??

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So for Christmas im thinking about upgrading my 20g into a 40g tank, maybe even a 50g. Prolly just 40g tho. I really like eels, they're underwater snakes, and snakes are actually the whole reason I got into the fish hobby (i wanted a snake but my mom said no, etc).
I would add maybe 40lbs of live sand, plus the livesand i have right now, buy about 30-40 more pounds of live rock.
In my tank I currently have:
- 2 clownfish
- ORA Mandarin
- Hermits
- Snails
- Emerald Crab
- Some corals.

To the tank i would like to maybe add (not all of these, one or a few) *In order of preference*
- An eel (snowflake most likely)
- Blue spotted pufferfish. (or other puffers)
- A dwarf lionfish
- Maybe an angelfish (pygmy most likely)
- Does anyone know if there are any mini tiny stingrays or smth? I love those.
- Would a panther grouper work?

Tell me what you think, leave any further suggestions #reefsquad thx

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40 gallon, a dwarf lion-fish and blue spotted pufferfish and the pygmy angelfish would be your most reasonable options. I feel a snowflake eel that can grow to 2 feet long in our aquarium will not be suitable for a 40 gallon. Also note if you plan on adding your current stock with any of those fish (with exception of the pygmy angel and puffer) you are risking them getting attacked or eaten.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 40 gallon, a dwarf lion-fish and blue spotted pufferfish and the pygmy angelfish would be your most reasonable options. I feel a snowflake eel that can grow to 2 feet long in our aquarium will not be suitable for a 40 gallon. Also note if you plan on adding your current stock with any of those fish (with exception of the pygmy angel and puffer) you are risking them getting attacked or eaten.
Ok, ive been looking at the puffer and im getting more and more excited. Im just worried about my corals. LPS and soft, what do you think? Would they get nipped at?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ive been looking at the puffer and im getting more and more excited. Im just worried about my corals. LPS and soft, what do you think? Would they get nipped at?

Really depends on the exact fishes personality, some have them in reefs and its fine while others have issues. Not sure what coral their most likely to nip since the only one I kept was in a fowlr.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
- Would a panther grouper work?
This one?
1605739157201.png

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pygmy cherub angel would be ok in a 40g(with caution), mine never nipped at corals but some do. The puffer will be very likely to nip at corals as well as other fish. If you want to risk a puffer, check out the leopard toby, a bit better bet not to be as nippy. The only dwarf lion I would recommend for a 40g is the fu manchu and they are a very difficult fish to care for, and really for long term success need to be fed live foods. The panther grouper is obvious out. For eels really the only candidate is the dwarf Hawaiian eel.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pygmy cherub angel would be ok in a 40g(with caution), mine never nipped at corals but some do. The puffer will be very likely to nip at corals as well as other fish. If you want to risk a puffer, check out the leopard toby, a bit better bet not to be as nippy. The only dwarf lion I would recommend for a 40g is the fu manchu and they are a very difficult fish to care for, and really for long term success need to be fed live foods. The panther grouper is obvious out. For eels really the only candidate is the dwarf Hawaiian eel.
Ok thanks for the info. Leopard toby looks cool, i'll definitely think about it. I just love the colors of the blue spotted toby, but I dont want my corals to get nipped severely. If I kept it fed well though I shouldnt nip a corals right? *Also smth Ive been dying to know, why do fish nip at corals? Just food or because they need something to do?*

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh sorry for the confusion. I must have meant the humpback grouper! (Does it work in 40g)?
They sell them small as babies, but it gets over 2 feet long. You’d need a massive tank. You’re aspirations on that wish list for a 40 are awfully high. Probably a good idea to take a deep breath and think long term about your stock list.

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so im really liking the puffer ideas. Since I have a 20g rn, I dont exactly have a big fish that swims around lots: my baby mandarin is like 1inch big and my clowns are always under their rock.
Heres my list of favorite puffers that Ive been looking at (that would work in a 40g-50g)
1. Blue spot puffer, just gotta make sure it doesnt eat the corals.
2. Saddle puffer, beautiful colours, I dont think weve talked about these on this thread yet.
3. Valentini puffer
4. Leopard puffer.
5. Bennett's Sharpnose puffer.
Tell me what you guys think!

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sell them small as babies, but it gets over 2 feet long. You’d need a massive tank. You’re aspirations on that wish list for a 40 are awfully high. Probably a good idea to take a deep breath and think long term about your stock list.
I would only be adding one more fish, i dont like stocking tanks with lots of fish. A few fish and lots of corals is my game ;)

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so im really liking the puffer ideas. Since I have a 20g rn, I dont exactly have a big fish that swims around lots: my baby mandarin is like 1inch big and my clowns are always under their rock.
Heres my list of favorite puffers that Ive been looking at (that would work in a 40g-50g)
1. Blue spot puffer, just gotta make sure it doesnt eat the corals.
2. Saddle puffer, beautiful colours, I dont think weve talked about these on this thread yet.
3. Valentini puffer
4. Leopard puffer.
5. Bennett's Sharpnose puffer.
Tell me what you guys think!

I like sharpnose puffers but its always a risk with coral, if you plan on upgrading to a 40 gallon tank maybe there are some more reef safe options so you don't have to worry about coral?

OP
OP
Dark_Knightt

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like sharpnose puffers but its always a risk with coral, if you plan on upgrading to a 40 gallon tank maybe there are some more reef safe options so you don't have to worry about coral?
I cant seem to find any where it says "Reef Safe". LiveAquaria says for all the ones on my list "Reef Safe with Caution". But if you just search up "reef safe saltwater puffers" they do say that the ones that are most likely to be reef safe are the valentini and blue spotted puffers. Im sure that the fish wont bother corals if it is very well fed, I have lots of shrimps to feed it, I could always buy some snails and stuff. Plus Im more available for feeding because school is mostly at home now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back