42 gallon Oceanic Drill/Plumb

Discussion in 'Do It Yourself (DIY)' started by Will Perry, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

SO... I have this crazy idea. I just inherited a 42 gallon Oceanic hexagon and I feel it would be AWESOME to drill the bottom so I can create a 360 view. I don't have room in my apartment to completely enjoy the 360 view, but in I feel it would be awesome for a future aesthetic... plus, why not? So, I'm looking for guides on how to drill, plumb, and plan this project. I'm 99% certain that this tank is NOT tempered glass, btw. I tested using my laptop and a pair of (for sure) polarized sunglasses. Also, the bottom fo the tank is SUPER thick (like 1/2"?).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Tags:

2. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

Will Perry likes this.
  3. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

This is actually quite helpful. I don't think I like the MMLR, though. It looks kind of weird in the tank when it's done. I DO like the plumbing, though. I think I want to run an overflow and return in a similar manner, but maybe with 2 separate pieces of PVC. Hmmm. I'm learning that I am simply going to have to give this some more thought before I start spending money. I would love to do a custom hexagon stand in the future, but that is a little outside of my skill level currently. I am going to build a basic rectangle stand instead that can hold my sump as well, since the sump is too long for the hex.

Still, these ideas are pretty much exactly what I am seeking. Just one question: How far from the top of the tank do I need to end my overflow? An inch? Half an inch? Two inches? *ponder*

Brew12 likes this.
  4. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Leader Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor Partner Member 2018

I would end it at least an inch under the top with the bottom of the teeth at least 1 3/4" from the top of the tank.

Will Perry likes this.
  5. Will Perry

Will Perry Member

So, I am not going to be using an overflow box in the middle. Instead what I am envisioning is a 1 1/2" pvc pipe (in purple) coming up the middle with one of these connected to the end:

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/low-profile-bulkhead-overflow-strainers.html

Then, with the pump I have... I am going to run a 3/4" pvc for return ending in Loc-tite that will be split and used to create a circular flow inside the tank. I feel this might just work. :) So, I'll need to add a 3/4" and 1 1/2" bulhead in the middle of the tank. I feel that the purple pvc will look MUCH better than plain white for this application. It is also sold in 5' sections, so later, when I can afford all the fittings, I can plumb the bottom of the tank with purple pvc for a better look.

Brew12 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted