450 Gallon Miracle Ray/Shark Reef Build Thread

Soren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pandaparties Lovely tank!
Rays and sharks are very interesting but I'll probably never have my own system for them, so I'll enjoy them through tanks like your own.
Now I'm all caught up on your build thread after your recent discussion with @tbrown3589 on my thread about foxfaces.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@pandaparties Lovely tank!
Rays and sharks are very interesting but I'll probably never have my own system for them, so I'll enjoy them through tanks like your own.
Now I'm all caught up on your build thread after your recent discussion with @tbrown3589 on my thread about foxfaces.
Hey thanks for joining! Been trying to get more people in here to chat and have fun with. I'll add your build thread to my follow list as well :)

And it's super cool having them even though it comes with some added challenges. The ray is by far the coolest member of my tank and the most personable. He always comes up to the top of the water to say hi when i come by as seen in my avatar pic and let's me give him a good pet!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey thanks for joining! Been trying to get more people in here to chat and have fun with. I'll add your build thread to my follow list as well :)

And it's super cool having them even though it comes with some added challenges. The ray is by far the coolest member of my tank and the most personable. He always comes up to the top of the water to say hi when i come by as seen in my avatar pic and let's me give him a good pet!
@Fish Styx @Mschmidt @ktfloyd01 @Stang67

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Entrance Im Here GIF by Leroy Patterson

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Lots of surface agitation.
Yeah sometimes its just hard to keep my house cold enough! Those 120 days my A/C struggles to stay below 80. I have a 1/4hp jbchiller just in case i need it (was planning an axolotl tank but never got around to it) but hoping i don't

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice tank! My lfs had 2 Atlantis in this really cool hexagon tank and they would squirt water at customers.
I've never heard of an atlantis, is it a type of stingray?? Either way that's so awesome! My ray doesn't squirt water but he absolutely will splash me if he's extra hungry :face-with-tears-of-joy:

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah sometimes its just hard to keep my house cold enough! Those 120 days my A/C struggles to stay below 80. I have a 1/4hp jbchiller just in case i need it (was planning an axolotl tank but never got around to it) but hoping i don't
Our house sits at 86 at the hottest. I have surface agitation in the sump and tank both which keeps my tank running at a cool 78 almost year round. My heater actually ran a few times a day in August this past summer.

OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright I want some opinions, it might be a while before i get any of these as I want some of my colonies to grow out first before adding another giant phosphate producer... but i am thinking about getting one of the following in the somewhat distant future

1. Oyster Toadfish
2. Short-Tail Nurse Shark (If i can even find them, ORA used to breed them but having a hard time sourcing)
3. Yellow Stingray

Also haven't dont much research but wondering if there are any smaller guitarfish that could possibly be suitable. @WheatToast would love your input too!

** After more research seems greyhounds have pretty variable size and while some max out at 30 or so inches others get to be 4 feet and as pretty avid swimmers thats way to big so i took that one off the list. Think any of these others would be cool though

Last edited:
OP
OP
pandaparties

pandaparties

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our house sits at 86 at the hottest. I have surface agitation in the sump and tank both which keeps my tank running at a cool 78 almost year round. My heater actually ran a few times a day in August this past summer.
Oh nice that's good to know, i have tons of surface agitation too. It'll be interesting to see where it sits at in the hottest part of the summer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 52 19.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 192 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.6%
Back