4ft tank filter help

Kezbow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a new 4ft tank what I want to set up as saltwater fish only. I was told that I could use a large cannister filter however that is not what I am hearing from others. For a tank that size (240L / 66Gal) Fish only can I use a Cannister (say Fluval 407) or do I have to do the sump thing?

Arif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a new 4ft tank what I want to set up as saltwater fish only. I was told that I could use a large cannister filter however that is not what I am hearing from others. For a tank that size (240L / 66Gal) Fish only can I use a Cannister (say Fluval 407) or do I have to do the sump thing?
When I started the hobby I was convinced by my lfs that my canister filter from my cichlid tank was ample. That didnt work for too long. Some people have success with canister filters. I am all in for sumps, they make your life a lot easier, and you have more water volume. If you dont want to spend that much you can easily make a sump by using a small tank.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plenty of people use canister filters. I presume a sump would likely be easier and provide better filtration, and that's why people turn to them, but I do not think they are mandatory.

Research is always the best thing. I'd suggest looking at smaller/cheaper sumps and make a decision from there.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canister filters can work great, but

- You must clean regularly.
- clean the o rings or seals when you clean them
- go oversized. This allows you to fit more media
- you must clean them regularly.
- look into a canister filter with a pre filter. They are great and help make cleaning the canister filter not be so often
- clean it regularly lol.

Yes I said clean it regularly 3 times. That is the biggest issue. Sumps give extra water, which gives a little buffer.

My 180 fully mixed reef ran for 3 months just fine after a move on 3 large canister filters. Nothing was affected and the sps and nems did great.

If you go with a canister filter, the pre filter option is a sure thing. Catches most stuff before it goes into the canister filter and becoming a nitrate factory.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sump isnt a filter. It is a place to put stuff like filtration, heaters and skimmers so they aren't in sight.

It can just be a small tank with a couple of baffles glued in it.
I made one from a 20 long for my 75 gallon tank.
IMG_0331%5B1%5D-S.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back