70gal Cube

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Im new to this forum and id just like to share my 70gal cube tank.

Dimensions: 30x30x18
Lighting: 2 modules Ai Sol White
Skimmer: Reef Octo DNW150 Recirc Skimmer
Reactor: Resun Fluidized Filter
Biopellets: DD Nutrifix
Chiller: Hailea HC300a
Wavepump: Vortech mp40w
Corals: SPS, LPS, Zoas
Fishes: Banggai Cardinal, Bicolor Anthias, Purple Queen Anthias, Randalls Goby, Royal Gramma, Masuda Hog Fish

Tank has been running since October 2009 and has been rescaped around 2x already. This is the most recent FTS of my tank.

IMG_0411.jpg

Hope you guys like it! Thanks for viewing! :)

OP
OP
S

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eternal - Ive had the PQ's a couple of months already. If i remember correctly i got them sometime January this year.

WrasseSandwich - Thanks! I like cubes too! hehe!

Luvmyacans - My ai's are running during peak at around 65% white and 90% blue. But at the time i took that pic, the Ai's were running around 30% white, 60% blue.

OP
OP
S

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gaita98911 - I think 1 would not be sufficient for the same size tank given the width and length of the tank. Here is a pic of how i mounted the Ai's.

*pic was taken right after rescape a few months back.

IMG_0377.jpg

Last edited:

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like this set up, it's clean, modern looking, and the corals look good. Off the lights in the middle, are those spot lights? I am jealous of your LEDs, I can't wait till the price drops on the technology! How many anthias do you have? Have they've been pretty hard on your tank's filtration? Also what substrate is that, it looks to be of a larger grain than typical reef tanks out there. I think I may go with something like that as my flow (Even for how low it really is) seems to still push my sand bed around.

OP
OP
S

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks electrobes! The spotlights are 3watts LED moonlights. I actually rarely turn them on anymore since i got the Ai's. Right now i have 8 anthias. 5 Bicolor Anthias and 3 Purple Queen Anthias. I feed them 2x a day and so far my no3 and po4 have remained undetectable. This is probably because of the Biopellets and the oversized skimmer i use. As for the sand, they call that size grain here Boracay 5. Its much bigger than the grade 0 sand i used to have in the tank but i changed it out cause the vortech always pushes the sand in the front of the tank and exposes the glass bottom.

OP
OP
S

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks butts182! The Ai's have been running almost 4 months already. I got the Ai's early December 2010 as a Christmas gift to myself. hehe

LiveRock27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the cube! I am just starting to put together everything for my upgrade and I am having a 70g cube built with the same dimensions. I also want to run 2 AI fixtures. Do you happen to have some other shots of your canopy? Love the look of it and wanted to see if I might able to do something similar. Thanks for sharing.

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your sps colonies are quite large - did you grow them out from frags or are they maricultures/wild caught, and on that same note hows the growth been since changing your lights?

OP
OP
S

shandy_say

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Liverock27 - Thanks. I'll try to take other pics.

johnanddawn - Some smaller frags are aquacultured while the bigger ones were wild caught. Most of the corals we get here in the P.I. are wild caught mainly because there very few who import corals to the P.I. and these imported corals can get really expensive.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back